Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: New Guys - 2003
Visco

posted on 12/9/02 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
New Guys - 2003

Hi I'm Gregg AKA Visco.

Like John F I'm trying to build a racer for next year. I've already built my engine, I was lucky that I found a guy who had an ex- rally cross 1300GT, which was about +60 thou and just pretty much need rebuilding. Only cost me £200 including a spare block, crankshaft inlet manifold/weber 23/24 and head.

What I've found so far is it tends to mount up on cost when your trying to get all the ancillaries and little bits rather that the big stuff, as you know you've to pay for these.
All the running gear I got from Ian Harwood in Liverpool and have reconditioned it myself. I'm not from a mechanical background but have found with some help, a haynes manual and common sense I have been able to complete all jobs so far. I'm intend to buy my chassis so I'm trying to pre build as much before so I can just bolt on once I get my rig !!

I've been to Cadwell(Twice), Silverstone and Snetterton and have found most people quite happy to talk to you. A top bloke in both senses of the word is Mike Topp. His experience and advise I've found really invaluble. Probably like most of you here, my intention for 2003 is to get out as soon as possible and just "ENJOY IT !!" for the first year.
Then there's getting to know the people, learn the tracks and finally rules/regs to understand. As long as I can qualify, race without causing anyone else and also myself any hassle then that will be a very good first season for me.

I'm all for meeting up somewhere next year if us new guys want to chat about stuff, gain some help from each other as I can't really see myself threatening the sharp end of the grid for a while LOL!!!!!

If anyone want to e-mail me use this one: -
greggcastree@aol.com

Cheers to All !!!
Gregg

JohnFol

posted on 23/9/02 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Can't believe it's just us 2 .. ..
Visco

posted on 23/9/02 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Me Neither John !

Where are you at any way ?
Cheers
Gregg

Jon Ison

posted on 28/9/02 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, will see you at most meetings, doing the RGB series next season, see post in BEC's, it usually runs alongside the Locost series so.......see ya there......

Jon.

Fozzie

posted on 10/10/02 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hi there!
Like you I am building with a view to race in (sometime?) 2003. Fozzie

JohnFol

posted on 11/10/02 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you are not that far awaay from Berkshire. What stage are you at?
Fozzie

posted on 11/10/02 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hiya, No not far from Berkshire - Surrey!
Chassis done, doing a pre-fit, before painting chassis, got axle on wishbones, trackrod-ends etc and wheels on. Been fabricating brackets for rad. and hung that this evening. Debating on putting fan in front or behind rad. I would like to go with behind.
I've also been pondering over the shockers, and got some good advice and also been in touch with Dampertech who tell me that they have some aluminiums for racing coming out in a few weeks, but looking at the regs (2002), it seems as though its a no no, or have I got it wrong?

JohnFol

posted on 12/10/02 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Why do you think they will be against regs?
Fozzie

posted on 13/10/02 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
coz the way I've read 'em aluminium is a no no with regard to the build of the shocks!
I hope that I'm wrong, I fully admit that I've been studying em so hard that the brain is like blancmange1 (nothing unusual there)

Jez

posted on 28/10/02 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm new too !!

Hi guys,

I'm new here too and am about to start building my car.
It's going to be for use in the race series but I think I'll be lucky to make the 2003 championship.

Looking at the regs I'm sure I saw something about only using steel bodied dampers which would mean aluminium is a no no.

Look forward to meeting some of you at future races/meets

Jez

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fozzie

posted on 28/10/02 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jez, yep, I was right in the respect of aluminium being a no, no! I spoke to Dave at Dampertech, very helpful! I am using my Locost for race and road but the race regs are paramount, so I am building according to them!
I got my shocks from Dampertech and they look great, just the job!
What stage are you at?
Cheers Fozzie

Mark Benson

posted on 29/10/02 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hello, another newbie intending to race next season.

I'm afraid I cheated though and bought a complete car from Mike Saunders who retired at the end of the 2001 season.

I bought the car earlier this year, intending to do the last race this year, but by the time I got my MSA Licence and set up the car, the race was fully subscribed, including reserves!

So, I'll spend the winter replacing worn bits (steering rack needs attention) and doing some track days to get the feel of the car.

I'd be interested in meeting up with some other 'new boys' before the start of the season, I'm in Wiltshire.

JohnFol

posted on 30/10/02 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Mark, welcome.
I do the Reading to Yeovil run quite frequently, so go through Wilts each time.

Guys, I asked Chris to add a forum for those building cars with a view to race. After all, there are forums for Bike Engined builds, IRS builds and Luego builds so why not 750mc builds?

It seems he has added a "Race Issues" forum, which is not what I wanted.
Chris does a great job, and I don't want to waste his time or annoy people by being the only person wanting this forum. Since you all share the same build plan as me I am wonderign what you all feel.

Any comments?

Fozzie

posted on 30/10/02 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Hi John,

I totally agree! Race issues to my way of thinking, means exactly that! Issues with racing, not us guys who are building and yet to race!
Have you decided what to do about the roll cage yet?
I haven't put the film in with my roll cage insitu yet, a job for tomorrow me thinks!
I have read that some guys meet every now and then at Boxhill (very near me) have you been?
Fozzy

JohnFol

posted on 30/10/02 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
My current plan is to get the chassis complete. To do this I need all brackets in place. To do this I need rear wings, nose cone etc.
The idea of buying the roll cage was to ensure the mounts are in the right positions. I can't believe that the mounts are going to be out by more than a mil or 2.
However, funds are a bit tight until the new year, so given the choice I am going for the wings etc.

Boxhill, is that Dorking? It's about 40 miles away. Who meets and what do they discuss? (concerned having seen how nurdy the mini owners club are. . )

Mark Benson

posted on 30/10/02 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I work in Reading, so we probably cross paths John.

Although the car is built, I will have to maintain it (God forbid I ever have to 'unbend' it) and a forum for issues regarding building and maintenance with specific regard to staying within regulations would be of great interest to me.

By the way, did those who are currently building know that next years regulations include the use of transponders, which must be either bought (£150ish) or can be rented at around £20 per race from the 750MC? The club currently has an offer negotiated with a supplier for a slight discount, it might be worth getting in touch with them soon to take advantage of the offer if possible.

JohnFol

posted on 30/10/02 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
Where in Reading?
Fozzie

posted on 30/10/02 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
John, check out the section on clubs and events. Yep, Boxhill in Dorking! As far as I knew it was a bikers meet every Sunday, but hey, theres plenty of room!
Great minds think alike, not into nerdism meself, but, I was thinking more along the lines of looking at the Locosts themselves, as in perhaps, other road/racers? Am I being just a tad sneaky? or just a look see?
Yes it does seem as though we have to get transponders for next season, although the progress that I am (not) making at the moment, it will be quite a time until I have to worry about that!

Cheers, Fozzie

Mark Benson

posted on 4/11/02 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnFol
Where in Reading?

For Oracle, at Thames Valley Park.

JohnFol

posted on 4/11/02 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
ooooooohhhhh
I used to be at ICL Retail when the park opened and later at MS . . .

small world

Deckman001

posted on 5/12/02 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys, Just to let you know, 'Box hill' was very informative !. The guys there are mainly building for the road, and sadly no 'cars' were present. There was about nine of us turned up including me and another 'newbie'. They are a great bunch of guys with plenty of usefull advice. Keep a look out in the 'clubs' section. Would be good to meet you all to discuss build progress

Jason

JohnFol

posted on 6/12/02 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed.
Problem is this time of year the shops are busy, the roads are busy, and no one has time for fun things. Why on earth did they put Xmas at such a busy time of year?

I would be interested in meeting up with fellow would be racers . .. ( and the usual crowd of course)

blackie

posted on 7/1/03 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hello all from a total newbie! I'm also planning on racing next year, but it looks like I'm bringing up the rear on the build front (currently fitting suspension to a bare chassis)

If there is a meet planned, please let me know, as I really could do with some inspiration on getting this smegging thing done in time.

Is anyone planning of going to the track day in Feb? If so see you there - I'll be bringing whatever I've got by then for a session with the scrutineers me thinks

Cheers,

Blackie (almost finished? - Yeah, right!!!)

JohnFol

posted on 8/1/03 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Welcome to the group!

What is the track day in Feb you are talking about? The 750 site does not have the 2003 stuff up there yet . .

Deckman001

posted on 8/1/03 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Fozzie
where abouts in 'surrey are you ?

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.