Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Front Engine Kit Chassis Converted to Midi Layout???
JC

posted on 9/1/12 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't the GTM Libra use a KV6? Monocoque I know, but made a great grand tourer I think!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 9/1/12 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
T'is indeed. I'm not a big fan though.

It's Evolution Baby!

b14wrc

posted on 10/1/12 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Scootz,

My car is based on the book, but done the changes you have described. Its very doable. Go for it!

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

scootz

posted on 10/1/12 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Rob. I've had a swatch through your photo archive... keep us posted!

It's Evolution Baby!

b14wrc

posted on 10/1/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Scootz, if you need any advice or help give me a shout.

I will be updating as I go, working on a special part at the moment, but don't want to post until it's finished.

20vt powered rear engined locost

Benonymous

posted on 13/1/12 at 01:51 AM Reply With Quote
A bloke I knew many years ago started building 7 style chassis at his workshop. After a bit of success with the 7 he branched out and made a middy to take the Toyota 4AG engine/gearbox. I never drove it but it looked OK. Keith was no engineer and he did the design on the back of a cornflakes box. However, the front of the car was all 7 because he had a jig for it. He made another jig for the rear subframe to take the 4AG and then welded them together.
No record of Keith exists on the interwebs, I looked. He bailed out of the kit car game over 15 years ago at least.

orton1966

posted on 13/1/12 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
Seen done from 7 plans

Although not using an existing chaccis I’ve seen it done based on 7 type chassis plans, once based on a tiger and another that’s featured in a couple of mags, initially it had a Renault turbo engine and corisponding transaxle.

The basics are as easy as you suggest. Basically take the chassis cut out the portion between the footwell and the front suspension (your engine bay), move the front suspension back and do whatever is required to make it stick there. Separate the rear suspension portion and move this back until you have the wheel base/engine bay you need. Now attach this with longer tubes. Finally make anything that looks like a rectangle into triangles with additional tubes, done!

Anyway I like your choice of engine but would hate to see it sat sideways, that’s just wrong for a midi in my mind, makes it more like rear engined. How about an Audi transaxle and an adaptor-plate?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.