Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Making the engine a "stressed member" talk to me
v8kid

posted on 5/12/12 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ah well!

Lots of opinions to say I'm wrong - one quite insulting really - but I've actually done it and it works.

Make of that what you will.

Cheers!

PS With a mid engined car and the gearbox at the rear the gearstick end of the linkage is bolted to the chassis and the gearbox end is on a gearbox which wobbles about if its on rubbers - so solid mounting makes a big difference. Like I said I've done it and I learnt from someone else who did it.

Now I see why some other forum members get so grumpy.

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 6/12/12 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
v8kid - I wouldn't have thought you'd have enough flex in rubber mounts to cause THAT much wobbling, surely you pick your mount stiffness to suit?! I guess if you're going to use linkages instead of cables you will have that issue though!

Do you have images showing how you mounted it as a stressed member? I'm curious. What generally causes problems is twisting of the block and heads can cause separation at the interfaces, but also slight misalignment at the bearings and piston bores, which means increased wear and warp over extended periods.

mcerd1

posted on 6/12/12 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Lots of opinions to say I'm wrong - one quite insulting really - but I've actually done it and it works.

I don't think most of us are saying your wrong, just that it makes things a bit more complex and there is a chance that the engine won't like it much....

as chillis said allot of older engines may well have the spare capacity in the block design - but its not like there are figures avalible for these

if you had fancy FE software and/or loads of cash to spend on analysing the design you'd get a better idea what the engine was capable of
but the only way to find out for sure is to try it and see what happens

[Edited on 6/12/2012 by mcerd1]

-

coyoteboy

posted on 6/12/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I had considered making the engine a stressed member in mine (Audi ABZ V8) due to the nice availability of large attachment points on the heads and many attachment points on the block, plus extensive casting braces around the block. I decided against it as I think I can make a stiffer chassis *around* it and I've very little to gain(lose) weightwise.
v8kid

posted on 7/12/12 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
Here is photo I've circled the mounts in red. semi stressed engine
semi stressed engine

The bottom two bolt through the gearbox. The top two bolt on to the bellhousing bolts and there are another two that bolt the siderails on to the block at the usual mounting points.

Argh! you can't see them try this Description
Description

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jon200

posted on 7/12/12 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Here is photo I've circled the mounts in red. semi stressed engine
semi stressed engine

The bottom two bolt through the gearbox. The top two bolt on to the bellhousing bolts and there are another two that bolt the siderails on to the block at the usual mounting points.

Argh! you can't see them try this Description
Description

Is that solid mounted then?

Anyone know how rubber is graded from soft to hard? With examples?

Alan B

posted on 7/12/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Good reference here...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-firmness-ratings-for-rubber/=khnu9z

coyoteboy

posted on 7/12/12 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
That's not using the engine as a stressed member though, that's semi-stressed at best, but looks like it's just solid mounted (i.e. you have framework around that contributes to sharing stresses, the box/engine are just helping out with triangulation and a bit of rigidity?). That is MUCH easier on the block/box, unless I can't quite make something out in the picture (possible).

A properly stressed member looks like:

Where the whole transmission is used to replace the rear chassis structure, supporting all of the rear suspension pickup points etc.

[Edited on 7/12/12 by coyoteboy]

v8kid

posted on 7/12/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
That's not using the engine as a stressed member though, that's semi-stressed at best, but looks like it's just solid mounted (i.e. you have framework around that contributes to sharing stresses, the box/engine are just helping out with triangulation and a bit of rigidity?). That is MUCH easier on the block/box, unless I can't quite make something out in the picture (possible).

A properly stressed member looks like:

Where the whole transmission is used to replace the rear chassis structure, supporting all of the rear suspension pickup points etc.

[Edited on 7/12/12 by coyoteboy]

Aye OK whatever

coyoteboy

posted on 7/12/12 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Don't you whatever me If you're going to claim it's a stressed member and tell people they're wrong because you've done it, you need to be right!
jon200

posted on 7/12/12 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
quote:

Good reference here...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#about-firmness-ratings-for-rubber/=khnu9z

Thanks Alan, my problem now is that they don't state what shore grade on many ads. oo a or c

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.