<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Beyond hacked off
britishtrident

posted on 1/11/16 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prawnabie
[

Another thing to consider too is that if you are not doing a complete job whilst "servicing" the car and there is something dangerously wrong that you can't check, and it is a few months till MOT time until the pros can, how would you feel if you put your family's life in peril?

On here we all want to save money and all feel capable of doing the work, but you have to ask yourself if it is worth it in your case.

[Edited on 31/10/16 by prawnabie]

Have you looked at the service schedule for a modern car ? --- an oil change service which are usually scheduled at at 15,000 to 20,000+ mile plus intervals is just that oil change, and top up coolant and screenwasher bottle nothing else. In larger dealerships this is carried out by semi-skilled labour. The next service is uaually the same plus a brake inspection.and depending on the manuafactuer may or may not include an airfilter change. Only at over 60,000 miles + or 4years or more is real servicing done then the schedule resets.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

prawnabie

posted on 1/11/16 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
[

Another thing to consider too is that if you are not doing a complete job whilst "servicing" the car and there is something dangerously wrong that you can't check, and it is a few months till MOT time until the pros can, how would you feel if you put your family's life in peril?

On here we all want to save money and all feel capable of doing the work, but you have to ask yourself if it is worth it in your case.

Have you looked at the service schedule for a modern car ? --- an oil change service which are usually scheduled at at 15,000 to 20,000+ mile plus intervals is just that oil change, and top up coolant and screenwasher bottle nothing else. In larger dealerships this is carried out by semi-skilled labour. The next service is uaually the same plus a brake inspection.and depending on the manuafactuer may or may not include an airfilter change. Only at over 60,000 miles + or 4years or more is real servicing done then the schedule resets.

So you saying I can take a car into a dealership for a scheduled service with a defective tyre, and then have it blow out on the way back from said service causing untold damage only for them to say it wasn't on the service schedule until xxx miles? utter tosh!!!

Whilst it is true that certain items aren't replaced until certain mileages or times, EVERY manufacturer I have worked for has a service checklist that is carried out on EVERY service no matter what the mileage or age.

nick205

posted on 1/11/16 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:
[

So you saying I can take a car into a dealership for a scheduled service with a defective tyre, and then have it blow out on the way back from said service causing untold damage only for them to say it wasn't on the service schedule until xxx miles? utter tosh!!!

Whilst it is true that certain items aren't replaced until certain mileages or times, EVERY manufacturer I have worked for has a service checklist that is carried out on EVERY service no matter what the mileage or age.

I'd agree that most manufacturers pay a little more attention when servicing a car.

I have however noted that main dealers and other garages are not on the ball when it comes to replacing fuel filters. IMHO diesel filters are pretty important and usually cheap and fast to replace - they're not always done though.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.