Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mid engined rear wheel width?
tegwin

posted on 12/1/08 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Mid engined rear wheel width?

Im planning a weight distribution of 40:60 (F:R)....(Aiming for a total max weight of 1100Kg)

Engine mounted in the correct place! (in the middle)

Im planning to start off with 200Hp (And about 250NM torque) with the standard engine, but will eventually see around 300hp (I hope)...

Im tempted to stick 195/50 R16 at the front and 225/45 R17 at the back....

But...will these tyres handle the power/weight or should I be trying to find something wider?

[Edited on 12/1/08 by tegwin]

Hammerhead

posted on 12/1/08 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
havent we already had this conversation?

RazMan

posted on 12/1/08 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
That setup might be ok with 200 bhp but only just imo. If you are thinking of bigger power then definitely go go bigger rubber. I have got 205/40/17 & 245/35/17 and that gives me good grip in wet and dry conditions.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tegwin

posted on 12/1/08 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm...hadnt noticed your reply Hammerhead...

How much power and torque do you have Raz?

This bad boy has 400Hp with 280mm wheels

RazMan

posted on 12/1/08 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a measley 202bhp and 185ftlb ....... but size isn't everything so I've been told a few times

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jasper

posted on 12/1/08 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Mines front engined, will be around 290-310 bhp, and I've gone for 235's on the back with stick tyres .... lets hope the suspension can take it!

[Edited on 12/1/08 by Jasper]

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Volvorsport

posted on 12/1/08 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
hmm , look at a porsche 911 , similar (weight and distribution) .

what wheels and tyres do they use ?

why on earth would it be have to be 1100 kg ?

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Doug68

posted on 13/1/08 at 03:50 AM Reply With Quote
I expect my car to come out at ~900kg dry add fuel and my fat arse then it'll be close to 1050kg.

Ultimas are quoted at 990kg with a Chev V8 (I assume that is dry) so again with fuel and driver that'll be over 1100kg I expect.

I'd take all of the weights that people quote for their cars on here as pure BS unless they actually got evidence of the numbers.

Having said the above to get to 1100kg I'd expect the motor in it to be substantial, some sort of V8? If thats the case I'd expect to be starting with more than 200bhp on tap.

Back to the tyres I expect to get 40-60 weight also and plan to use 235's for fronts (though may go smaller) and 275 rears. This is however complete guess work on my part if it'll be any good or not.

The problem with tyres, is the likes of us simply can't get the data from the tyre Co's to make anything other than a wild arse guess or follow known examples.

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

andygtt

posted on 13/1/08 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doug68
I expect my car to come out at ~900kg dry add fuel and my fat arse then it'll be close to 1050kg.

Ultimas are quoted at 990kg with a Chev V8 (I assume that is dry) so again with fuel and driver that'll be over 1100kg I expect.

I'd take all of the weights that people quote for their cars on here as pure BS unless they actually got evidence of the numbers.

Having said the above to get to 1100kg I'd expect the motor in it to be substantial, some sort of V8? If thats the case I'd expect to be starting with more than 200bhp on tap.

Back to the tyres I expect to get 40-60 weight also and plan to use 235's for fronts (though may go smaller) and 275 rears. This is however complete guess work on my part if it'll be any good or not.

The problem with tyres, is the likes of us simply can't get the data from the tyre Co's to make anything other than a wild arse guess or follow known examples.

I weighed my Ultima on proper corner weight scales and it was 1010kgs fully wet (72litres of fuel, 12 litres of oil etc).. but that wasn't std so when I put the std wheels/tyres and brakes on it was 1070kgs.... my friends GTR was 1030kgs with empty tanks so 1080kgs for a GTR.

Remember, Ultimas don't just have a big heavy engine, they also have huge wheels and brakes etc etc.

I too have heard all sorts of claims about weight and for my car I am going for a genuine target of 1100kgs wet with no driver.... but that is with a huge V12, turbos and a very heavy porsche gearbox, that lot alone is 300kgs and I also have moosive 19x345 tyre which weigh a ton....
So I would expect you car to be a genuine 250-300kgs lighter than mine.

So for 200-300bhp I'd be expecting a realistic weight target of 800kgs and be sticking 225-245 tyres on the rear max.... look at the vx220 turbo and exige for inspiration.

Andy

please redefine your limits.

Fred W B

posted on 13/1/08 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

So for 200-300bhp I'd be expecting a realistic weight target of 800kgs and be sticking 225-245 tyres on the rear max....

I have maybe 250BHP, hope for 800 kg and have bough 245 rear tyres on 8" rims.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

rpmagazine

posted on 13/1/08 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
I have numbers for component weight and have added 15% to get 1000kg.
Wheels are 7" front and 9" rear with 205/255 respectively.

v8kid

posted on 13/1/08 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
596kg including me 400bhp and I have 215/275 front rear tyres with a 300mm C of G.

7" front rims and 9" rear

Beginning to think the front tyres are slightly too large and will try 195.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.