<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Failed IVA
joneh

posted on 23/2/15 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Arghh my eyes!
ctwv50

posted on 23/2/15 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Don't you just love ruining your car for the IVA man.

[Edited on 23/2/15 by ctwv50]

David Jenkins

posted on 23/2/15 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Paul,

How are you going to fix the wire, so it doesn't flap around and get caught by something?

posted on 23/2/15 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Paul,

How are you going to fix the wire, so it doesn't flap around and get caught by something?

Hi David,

The wire runs down the inside of heat shrink tube, which is held to the ally by 5mm wide 3M mounting tape.

The IVA manual says, " mounting tape is not deemed a permanent fix, but may be used if supplied by the
manufacturer of the light unit."

It came in with the light so I've used it.

If it lasts till the journey home then "jobs a good un," although its just my luck it will stick like snot on the end of your finger.

Cheers
Paul G

David Jenkins

posted on 24/2/15 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds plausible - it's just that if it looks temporary then the tester may think you're extracting the urine. I know I maybe sounding a bit negative, but I want you to pass next time you go!

Regarding the double-sided tape - I reckon the rule about using it relates to fixing the light unit, not the wire (but I may well be wrong). As for shifting the glue, I find that "Sticky Stuff Remover" is excellent in shifting most tape glues! Failing that acetone, meths, brake cleaner or panel wipe have always been good fall-backs for me.

[Edited on 24/2/15 by David Jenkins]

DW100

posted on 24/2/15 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Could you tuck the wire behind the windscreen support? So it looks less stuck on?
David Jenkins

posted on 24/2/15 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking about some form of capping - had a quick look around the web pages of various suppliers, but didn't find anything obvious.

posted on 25/2/15 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
I could drill an 11mm hole in the windscreen support, fit a grommet, and pass the wire through and down
the inside edge against the screen, then drill another 11mm through the scuttle.

However, I'm trying to avoid doing anything that can't be restored to how it needs to be to pass future MOT's,
if you get my drift.

It's for similar reasons that I don't like the repeaters fitted to the front cycle wings.
That to me doesn't seem a good place to fit them as they then shine in the drivers eyes, which is exactly why
production cars (Honda/Merc/VAG and others) that fit them in the mirrors face them forwards.
You certainly can't see 50% of the lit area from 5% out from the rear on the Octavia parked next door.

Cheers
Paul G

CosKev3

posted on 25/2/15 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
How far back do they stand from car when checking the 5 degrees viewing angle to side repeater?

posted on 25/2/15 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
How far back do they stand from car when checking the 5 degrees viewing angle to side repeater?

He dropped a line down from the repeater. Chalk mark.
He laid his extended tape measure on the floor level with the car side and out past the back of the car.
( this was inside the rear tyre )
He had previously worked out ( by trig ) what 5deg was at the end of his tape so measured out out with another tape
and put a cross on the floor with his chalk.
He measured the height of my repeater ( 600mm ) and went back to the cross, got down on hands & knees,
and with his eyes at 600mm above the floor looked at my repeater.
The view was just blocked by the edge of my rear arch.
( It's worth pointing out that from this position your staring at the rear indicator on the rear arch. )

My theory is that the windscreen supports are 900mm high so his sight line will now be above the wheel arch.

The distance back doesn't make a difference as 5deg is 5deg at any distance.

Hope my rambles are understandable.
Paul G

Edit to add pic

[Edited on 25/2/15 by 907]

David Jenkins

posted on 25/2/15 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I was musing over this last night - probably too late now to anything different - but I was wondering about a little stalk up and out from the existing triangle where the old indicator was (and where the future indicator will be! ). Tubular stalk, wires up the middle, some appropriate light fitting at the end. Easy to fit through the existing hole, and easy to remove later.

Apart from that flight of fancy, I was wondering if a bit of ali capping would cover the wire and make it look 'permanent', e.g. in bad ASCII art __|--|__ stuck on with double-sided tape. The tape I've got (made for fixing trim to car bodies) is amazingly tough stuff, but can be removed without damage - you're welcome to a length of it, if you need it. Either this, or a bit of narrow D-profile trim that would take the wires inside.

ctwv50

posted on 25/2/15 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:

He laid his extended tape measure on the floor level with the car side and out past the back of the car.
He had previously worked out ( by trig ) what 5deg was at the end of his tape so measured out out with another tape
He measured the height of my repeater ( 600mm ) and went back to the cross, got down on hands & knees,
( It's worth pointing out that from this position your staring at the rear indicator on the rear arch. )

My theory is that the windscreen supports are 900mm high so his sight line will now be above the wheel arch.

Paul G

Edit to add pic

Interesting I wondered how they measured this.

steve m

posted on 25/2/15 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Do indicator lights have to be e marked like the headlights and rears?
as I doubt the led's are

Personly I would of put a light in the mirrors

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

40inches

posted on 25/2/15 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted my side repeaters to the rear arch. I used the tiny button LED's without the rubber surround, and easy to wire from the rear indicators
Description
Description

ctwv50

posted on 25/2/15 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
as I doubt the led's are

steve

As long as they are radiused correctly emit an amber light and are bright enough then they "should" be fine. "E" markings "should" mean that they meet these criterial. The flexible ones the OP and I have fitted are "E" marked.

40inches

posted on 25/2/15 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
as I doubt the led's are

steve

The only light that has to be e-marked is the rear fog lamp, all the others have to be of an "equivalent brightness" to e-marked units.

posted on 25/2/15 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I was musing over this last night - probably too late now to anything different - but I was wondering about a little stalk up and out from the existing triangle where the old indicator was (and where the future indicator will be! ). Tubular stalk, wires up the middle, some appropriate light fitting at the end. Easy to fit through the existing hole, and easy to remove later.

Apart from that flight of fancy, I was wondering if a bit of ali capping would cover the wire and make it look 'permanent', e.g. in bad ASCII art __|--|__ stuck on with double-sided tape. The tape I've got (made for fixing trim to car bodies) is amazingly tough stuff, but can be removed without damage - you're welcome to a length of it, if you need it. Either this, or a bit of narrow D-profile trim that would take the wires inside.

Yup.
I'll go with any of that.

The stalk would be easy to make, just need a round light.

I saw somewhere a light that you pushed a rubber bit in a hole then the light into the rubber. About 20/25mm.

It must not shine back into the drivers eyes.

Your on a mission. I've a handrail to weld round the top of a castle.

Paul G

posted on 25/2/15 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
I fitted my side repeaters to the rear arch. I used the tiny button LED's without the rubber surround, and easy to wire from the rear indicators
Description
Description

That would fail as on my car it's more than 2600mm from the front of the car. see previous post

Cheers anyway
Paul G

posted on 25/2/15 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
as I doubt the led's are

steve

They are marked E11, even marked on the packet.

Cracking idea if mirrors have a thick outward facing edge.
Sadly mine have a large area facing forwards but only a thin edge facing out.

Cheers
Paul G

40inches

posted on 25/2/15 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Description
Description

That would fail as on my car it's more than 2600mm from the front of the car. see previous post

Cheers anyway
Paul G

Is the MK shorter than a Locost? The photo is pre IVA and it passed on measurements.

CosKev3

posted on 25/2/15 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:

Paul G

Edit to add pic

5 degrees is 5 degress yeah, but if your rear arch gets in the way the distance they stand away makes a difference.

Some people on here have said testers go to ground level, so if they did that say a foot from your rear arch you wouldn't be able to see your side repeaters at 5 degrees would you?

posted on 25/2/15 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Description
Description

Cheers anyway
Paul G

Is the MK shorter than a Locost? The photo is pre IVA and it passed on measurements.

I don't know where 2600mm would come to on an MK.
My chassis is the same length as a Locost but my pointy nose could be longer as it's a bit of a one off.

Cheers
Paul G

repeaters to be within 2600mm

CosKev3

posted on 25/2/15 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Description
Description

Cheers anyway
Paul G

My chassis is the same length as a Locost but my pointy nose could be longer as it's a bit of a one off.

Cheers
Paul G

About half way on the rear arch on my m8's MK Indy R.

40inches

posted on 25/2/15 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Description
Description

Cheers anyway
Paul G

Cheers
Paul G

Your's looks to be a lot longer on the nosecone. Look at the position of the lower wishbone on my MK compared to yours!
Description
Description

The Black Flash

posted on 25/2/15 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:

Paul G

Edit to add pic

5 degrees is 5 degress yeah, but if your rear arch gets in the way the distance they stand away makes a difference.

Some people on here have said testers go to ground level, so if they did that say a foot from your rear arch you wouldn't be able to see your side repeaters at 5 degrees would you?

There's a vertical angle as well. Depending on the height of the light, if it's over 750mm then it needs to be visible 15 degrees below horizontal, otherwise, 5 degrees below. That will determine where he takes his sight line from.

Should be able to test it fairly easy in the garage.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.