Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Failed IVA
The Black Flash

posted on 25/2/15 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

It's for similar reasons that I don't like the repeaters fitted to the front cycle wings.
That to me doesn't seem a good place to fit them as they then shine in the drivers eyes, which is exactly why
production cars (Honda/Merc/VAG and others) that fit them in the mirrors face them forwards.
You certainly can't see 50% of the lit area from 5% out from the rear on the Octavia parked next door.

Cheers
Paul G

I do wonder why mainstream cars seem to have different rules, but they definately do seem different for side repeaters.
Just as an FYI for anyone who's interested, the repeaters on the rear of the cycle wings really are no problem at all. It's below and off to the right of your sight and you really don't notice them.

CosKev3

posted on 26/2/15 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Black Flash
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
How far back do they stand from car when checking the 5 degrees viewing angle to side repeater?

He dropped a line down from the repeater. Chalk mark.
He laid his extended tape measure on the floor level with the car side and out past the back of the car.
( this was inside the rear tyre )
He had previously worked out ( by trig ) what 5deg was at the end of his tape so measured out out with another tape
and put a cross on the floor with his chalk.
He measured the height of my repeater ( 600mm ) and went back to the cross, got down on hands & knees,
and with his eyes at 600mm above the floor looked at my repeater.
The view was just blocked by the edge of my rear arch.
( It's worth pointing out that from this position your staring at the rear indicator on the rear arch. )

My theory is that the windscreen supports are 900mm high so his sight line will now be above the wheel arch.

The distance back doesn't make a difference as 5deg is 5deg at any distance.

Hope my rambles are understandable.
Paul G

Edit to add pic

[Edited on 25/2/15 by 907]

5 degrees is 5 degress yeah, but if your rear arch gets in the way the distance they stand away makes a difference.

Some people on here have said testers go to ground level, so if they did that say a foot from your rear arch you wouldn't be able to see your side repeaters at 5 degrees would you?

There's a vertical angle as well. Depending on the height of the light, if it's over 750mm then it needs to be visible 15 degrees below horizontal, otherwise, 5 degrees below. That will determine where he takes his sight line from.

Should be able to test it fairly easy in the garage.

Cheers. Just looked at manual to see how they determined height.

So the line in the pic above in blue needs to be running down on a 15degree angle rather than straight.

DW100

posted on 26/2/15 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I could drill an 11mm hole in the windscreen support, fit a grommet, and pass the wire through and down
the inside edge against the screen, then drill another 11mm through the scuttle.

However, I'm trying to avoid doing anything that can't be restored to how it needs to be to pass future MOT's,
if you get my drift.

Was just thinking you could space temporarily the screen supports out with some washers and then run the wire round the front and down between the windscreen and support and back through the hole in the scuttle.

posted on 26/2/15 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
It needs to be visible within an arc.

For high mounted lights (above 750mm) it's the blue line;

from 15 deg above (looking down) to 15 deg below (looking up)

For low mounts (red sight line) then its still the same 15 deg looking down, but only 5 deg if you look up at the light.

I've just been out to pick up some metal for a work job and I'm finding that every car I pass coming towards me
that has repeaters in its mirrors I'm calling the driver names under my breath.
I passed a parked one that had it's mirrors folded in and you could see them from all angles.

Paul G

David Jenkins

posted on 26/2/15 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Ah yes - the old game of "spot the bits of factory-made cars that wouldn't pass IVA in a million years!"

Or did you mean "I wonder if I can fit a pair of those mirrors on my car?"

[Edited on 26/2/15 by David Jenkins]

posted on 26/2/15 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Ah yes - the old game of "spot the bits of factory-made cars that wouldn't pass IVA in a million years!"

Or did you mean "I wonder if I can fit a pair of those mirrors on my car?"

[Edited on 26/2/15 by David Jenkins]

I've already done the former. Mitsubishi Colt triangular repeaters that fit perfectly in a Seven windscreen frame.

Look where that's 'kin got me.

As for production car mirrors by the time they are heated, electrically movable, repeater lights and fold in to park,
they cost about the same as a two bed semi.

Paul G

p.s.
Found some round 27mm trailer marker lights for your stalk idea. Delivery Monday.

posted on 27/2/15 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Side repeaters mark 3

The trailer marker lights arrived today so I've managed to get one side fitted.
Needs a blob ( I can do blobs ) of paint to cover the Araldite fillets but otherwise done.
The wire comes out of the mirror case and runs underneath the mirror stem and doesn't really notice.

Wadderwethink ?

Paul G

Description
Description

Description
Description

David Jenkins

posted on 27/2/15 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Should look very tidy once the 'blob of paint' is done! It also will look like you intend it to be permanent, which should please the tester.

BTW: I now have a 3D printer, so if you give me the dimensions then maybe I can make a plastic surround to finish it off. No hard-and-fast promises as 3D printing can be very frustrating, but I can't see that they would cause much difficulty. Alternatively, get a bit of black plastic from Gaz and turn it on your lathe?

Mind you - it depends how permanent this arrangement is going to be!

[Edited on 27/2/15 by David Jenkins]

posted on 27/2/15 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Quote. Mind you - it depends how permanent this arrangement is going to be. End quote

Days…….Hours……. maybe only minutes.

The final purchase will be a pair of aluminium bullet racing mirrors. I'm that age.
They ( IMHO ) will be a fitting addition and will match perfectly.
Unfortunately the repeaters, along with the plastic mirrors, will also have to take their chance on eBay
so I'll just have to make do with the Mitsy ones. Shame.

Cheers
Paul G

ctwv50

posted on 18/3/15 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Just to let peeps know I passed with my side repeaters in that location.

edit: I mean on the rear of the front cycle wings.

[Edited on 18/3/15 by ctwv50]

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.