Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi 12 point tool.
MikeCapon

posted on 29/9/13 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
Audi 12 point tool.

Spent (wasted) yesterday morning trying to change the CV joints on my old (04) A6. I was so pleased to find that those nice German types had decided to use some lovely bolt heads on the inner joint.

I can only describe them as looking like a 12 point torx bolt. I did actually describe them as several other things yesterday morning but there's no point my typing those words as ChrisW's clever software will just write nutsack....

A T50 torx bit (6 point) seems to fit but slips as does an 8mm allen bit. It looks like I may actually have to spend some money here.

So. What I need to know is, what are those little horrors called and does anyone know where I can by the tool?

Sorry there are no pics but there was no way I was touching a camera or a phone with hands covered in half an inch of old black grease

Thanks in advance.

Mike

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 29/9/13 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Is the bolt male or female? If female It sounds like a triple square bit.

[Edited on 29-9-13 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Rob3

posted on 29/9/13 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Everything VAG ive worked on has 'spline bits' on the inner cvs.

I used spline bits from the halfords pro range, there upto the job but could with being slightly longer.

link

[Edited on 29/9/13 by Rob3]

MikeCapon

posted on 29/9/13 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys.

It was female. Which figures.....

I'll mail order me some of those Halfords bits.

www.shock-factory.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 29/9/13 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Tbh these and the torx nuts are a really bad choice on cars as it takes hardly any rust to make them round, at least with a hex bolt you can file down to the next size but then it's all about mass production and sod what happens in the future
MikeCapon

posted on 29/9/13 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Just tried to order those spline bits from Halfords.

They wont send them to me here. Racists

www.shock-factory.co.uk

Slimy38

posted on 29/9/13 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I bought this;

Franklin 100mm Long M10 Spline 12 Point Socket Bit 5410

Did the job beautifully. Give them a scrub with a wire brush first though.

MikeCapon

posted on 29/9/13 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you Mr Slimy

Much appreciated

www.shock-factory.co.uk

loggyboy

posted on 29/9/13 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
if they are triple square(ZXN) which i think they are slightly different to normal splined bits. as the name describes the zxns are made up of the angles 3 squares create, where as splined are 2 hexagons. not a huge difference but if like sierra shaft torx bolts they are prone to being tight and rounding off you want a good fit.

Mistral Motorsport

Slimy38

posted on 29/9/13 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
if they are triple square(ZXN) which i think they are slightly different to normal splined bits. as the name describes the zxns are made up of the angles 3 squares create, where as splined are 2 hexagons. not a huge difference but if like sierra shaft torx bolts they are prone to being tight and rounding off you want a good fit.

I've just checked the one I bought, it is the 3 squares rather than 2 hexagons. The bolts themselves weren't too bad, I did a preventative squirt of plusgas to make sure but they came off with no problem.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 29/9/13 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Normally m10 splinebolts or m8 splinebolts

[Edited on 29/9/13 by ian locostzx9rc2]

Bare

posted on 29/9/13 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Odd this best of My knowledge VW has been using those unique Bolts on their CV drive flanges since 1980.
When I bought My tool .
From the VW dealers' for a fair price too :-)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.