Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making bonnet pins IVA friendly
Slimy38

posted on 24/10/23 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Making bonnet pins IVA friendly

I'm looking at a couple of bonnet pins for my front end. More specifically the back end of my front end (the front is hinged in front of the radiator). I want to use 'old fashioned' pins rather than aerocatch, mainly for the looks. But I am aware that Mr IVA man would frown upon the pins.

Is there a way of making regular bonnet pins IVA friendly? I was thinking of some kind of cover but I suspect they'd want to see it being a permanent thing.

Slimy38

posted on 24/10/23 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
OK, I did a bit more Googling, do the recesses make them IVA friendly?

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/satin-black-aluminium-recess-mounting-plates-pair-for-sliding-retained-pin-bonnet-pin-kit

nick205

posted on 24/10/23 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know if the recess would satisfy Mr IVA.

Car Builder Solutions may well know if you give them a call.

adithorp

posted on 24/10/23 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
They'd possibly work and I think are your best bet. Depends if they're deed enough that test ball radius can't reach it.

If it can you could alway try a cover, cut to the same shape. Mounted on one fixing screw but only tightly enough that it could be rotated to reveal the pin. Maybe with a slot to align it under one of the opposite fixings as a stop?

Could you use flush Deuz fastners and replace after IVA. They might be small enough for the pin fittings to conceal and sign from them.

[Edited on 24-10-2023 by adithorp]

Slimy38

posted on 24/10/23 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

Good plan, I've pinged them a mail as I'm at work at the moment. I wasn't sure whether they'd be willing to state IVA compliance in case someone comes back to them after it fails.

Slimy38

posted on 24/10/23 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
They'd possibly work and I think are your best bet. Depends if they're deed enough that test ball radius can't reach it.

If it can you could alway try a cover, cut to the same shape. Mounted on one fixing screw but only tightly enough that it could be rotated to reveal the pin. Maybe with a slot to align it under one of the opposite fixings as a stop?

Could you use flush Deuz fastners and replace after IVA. They might be small enough for the pin fittings to conceal and sign from them.

[Edited on 24-10-2023 by adithorp]

Aye, I've been looking at Dzus fasteners as well, you do have a good point about being able to replace them afterwards though, thanks. At the very least the washer for the bonnet pin could be made wide enough to cover whatever mark/hole the Dzus fastener leaves.

adithorp

posted on 24/10/23 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Of course nothing should ever "fall off" that's been fitted to pass IVA
TimC

posted on 24/10/23 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same on my boot - I wanted to keep it trad-looking and not drill too many new holes.

Here's the before....

[Edited on 24/10/23 by TimC]

nick205

posted on 24/10/23 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:

Good plan, I've pinged them a mail as I'm at work at the moment. I wasn't sure whether they'd be willing to state IVA compliance in case someone comes back to them after it fails.

Agreed they may not want to give an outright IVA proof rating on them, but they may comment on what past customers have experieneced.

As also suggected, theyre's always the post IVA "fall off/modify" approach.

Rod Ends

posted on 25/10/23 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Locking Bonnet Pins ?

Slimy38

posted on 26/10/23 at 07:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rod Ends
Locking Bonnet Pins ?

I really like those, thank you. Quite simple design, but I think they could look good. My only worry is the lock mechanism itself, they're not going to survive a British summer let along a British winter.

HowardB

posted on 26/10/23 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
only required to pass the IVA, then you can have anything that you want,,...?
Slimy38

posted on 26/10/23 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
only required to pass the IVA, then you can have anything that you want,,...?

Yep! To be honest I was thinking coach bolt as the smallest head and a screw body, but then I figured the inspector will want to see under the bonnet so it still needs to function as a latch. So it's either a sprung Dzus fastener or those locking ones.

Slimy38

posted on 26/10/23 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Agreed they may not want to give an outright IVA proof rating on them, but they may comment on what past customers have experieneced.

Forgot to say, they responded, and no they won't pass IVA. I expected that sort of statement though.

Rod Ends

posted on 28/10/23 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

My only worry is the lock mechanism itself, they're not going to survive a British summer let along a British winter.

Cam lock dust covers

gremlin1234

posted on 28/10/23 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
almost all modern production cars use remote release cables
nick205

posted on 30/10/23 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Forgot to say, they responded, and no they won't pass IVA. I expected that sort of statement though.

Fair comment from them (covering themselves). At least you've explored that route.

coyoteboy

posted on 30/10/23 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234

Must admit I don't really understand why you'd not use hidden remote release cable, I wouldn't want pins sticking out unless there was a motorsport requirement for them.

Schrodinger

posted on 30/10/23 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
how about an m10 button head socket screw with a large penny washer. this is the same thread as on my aero catches and there is no reason you can't have screws holding your bonnet on as long as you have an allen key to remove it if asked.

Keith
Aviemore

padrc66

posted on 31/10/23 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
i used these on my bonnet. They're really secure, i've done thousands of miles and they've never come loose. I used aerocatches on the back but, to be honest, i prefer these and they're easier to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CENPEK-Aluminum-2-44inch-Universal-Release/dp/B09BF8Q2QB/ref=sr_1_10?adgrpid=141711624919&hvadid=628402913267&hv dev=c&hvlocphy=1007415&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=520497809195653523&hvtargid=kwd-298477333895&hydadcr=6846_2284398&keywords= quick+latch+hood+pins&qid=1698743114&sr=8-10

Slimy38

posted on 31/10/23 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by padrc66
i used these on my bonnet. They're really secure, i've done thousands of miles and they've never come loose. I used aerocatches on the back but, to be honest, i prefer these and they're easier to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CENPEK-Aluminum-2-44inch-Universal-Release/dp/B09BF8Q2QB/ref=sr_1_10?adgrpid=141711624919&hvadid=628402913267&hv dev=c&hvlocphy=1007415&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=520497809195653523&hvtargid=kwd-298477333895&hydadcr=6846_2284398&keywords= quick+latch+hood+pins&qid=1698743114&sr=8-10

I have seen those, but it then raises the question about quality. Bonnet pins and dzus fasteners are simple mechanisms that even the Chinese can't mess up. But here it's relying on a mechanism made in whatever sweat shop works out cheapest. I do like them though, I might have to find some with more reviews.

Slimy38

posted on 31/10/23 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234

Must admit I don't really understand why you'd not use hidden remote release cable, I wouldn't want pins sticking out unless there was a motorsport requirement for them.

I wasn't convinced a remote release was the way to go. After all, even production cars can get it horrendously wrong. VAG cars for example have a strangely high number of stretching cables that cause all manner of headaches.

I'm also not convinced about the 'hidden' aspect. Sure, underneath the bonnet they could disappear, but I'd need the handles mounted somewhere decent. And yes, it would have to be two handles, my bonnet flexes too much to rely on only one catch.

Partofthechaos

posted on 31/10/23 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I am trying to plan this aspect of my build currently so I am interested in the responses in this thread. I would prefer the cleaner look of no visible catches, and the standard 4 bonet catches for a se7en type car seems like a faff to me (first world problems). I've mainly been around VAG cars for the last 20 years or so and I currently have 3 on my driveway. I don't remember ever having an issue with cable stretch, possibly this is model dependant and I have avoided those models? Not saying that it is not a thing, but it hasn't (yet) put me off using cable releases. I am thinking either 4 cable release catches going to one handle or 2 location pins at the front with 2 catches at the back. I suspect 2 catches will be easier to get working and to release so I will probably go with that. Car builder have door catches for cobra style cars which look good. If it can hold a door it can hold a bonet.

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/mini-bear-claw-door-latches-pair-75mm

Edit to say I have just found this which looks to solve part of the problem without too much of a faff from a Range Rover bonnet: Range Rover P38 Bonnet Release
Range Rover P38 Bonnet Release

Range Rover parts are reliable right?

[Edited on 31/10/23 by Partofthechaos]

Bluemoon

posted on 2/11/23 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
how about an m10 button head socket screw with a large penny washer. this is the same thread as on my aero catches and there is no reason you can't have screws holding your bonnet on as long as you have an allen key to remove it if asked.

This put Alan key on key ring with ignition key…

Slimy38

posted on 2/11/23 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger

This put Alan key on key ring with ignition key…

That's quite an elegant solution to be fair, and most definitely the lowest cost of them all. I did wonder about needing a tool to open the bonnet, but something on a key ring is just as effective. Thank you both for the suggestion, I think this is the winner.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.