Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: EFI Advice needed, would this work
r1_pete

posted on 9/9/13 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
EFI Advice needed, would this work

I'm looking at various options to EFI my E Type, my latest idea is involves using an injector per cylinder and a throttle body shared between 2 cylinders.

Could this work? any advice is welcome, even if its to say I'm nuts for thinking such a thing.....

Manifold idea
Manifold idea

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 9/9/13 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen V6 engines with a TB shared between two pots so providing you have adjustment on the butterflies it should work.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 9/9/13 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
You could convert the existing SUs...

http://www.pattonmachine.com/TBI-Carb-Chart.htm

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/85654-su-fuel-injection-manifold-conversion/

[Edited on 9/9/13 by stevebubs]

gremlin1234

posted on 9/9/13 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
triumph tr6 (uk not usa) did it in exactly this way, but with mechanical injection.
Dusty

posted on 9/9/13 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Firing order on the engine is 153624. Ideally you can link 123 and 456 and use two throttle bodies, equal gap pulses.
16 25 and 34 also give equal gap pulses but the manifolds are becoming a nightmare and you tend toward unequal length runners. 12 34 and 56 is easy to make but the alternating pulses through each throttle body are not equally spaced, so functionally less good.

sebastiaan

posted on 9/9/13 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty
Firing order on the engine is 153624. Ideally you can link 123 and 456 and use two throttle bodies, equal gap pulses.
16 25 and 34 also give equal gap pulses but the manifolds are becoming a nightmare and you tend toward unequal length runners. 12 34 and 56 is easy to make but the alternating pulses through each throttle body are not equally spaced, so functionally less good.

^^^^
This is exactly what I was thinking. Is there a reason not to go for six throttles?

mark chandler

posted on 9/9/13 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
That will be fine, you only have to worry about phased injection when going for strict emissions,

I would be inclined to gut your carbs and build the injectors within these to keep it looking standard, no reason to have them right against the head.

Regards Mark

Volvorsport

posted on 9/9/13 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
jenvey do SU type throttle bodies.

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

r1_pete

posted on 10/9/13 at 06:45 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone, this is really plan B, I'm currently building a manifold from an old XJ6 EFI, to run the injectors in the stock XJ6 position, but with modded runners to take two sets of Triumph Triple throttle flap only bodies. The only issue I have with the current plan is the air filter / horn setup, I may not have room.

The setup above would use another XJ6 EFI manifold, with the siamesed runners into TL1000 throttle bodies.

I'm a little further on than this now with everything in a jig and the outer two runners re shaped:
Version 2, first tentative cut
Version 2, first tentative cut

[Edited on 10/9/13 by r1_pete]

MikeRJ

posted on 10/9/13 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
That's crying out for a triple set of Jenvey DCOE throttle bodies, though it's certainly not a locost approach.
coyoteboy

posted on 10/9/13 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

That will be fine, you only have to worry about phased injection when going for strict emissions,

I can't comment on this engine specifically as I've never worked on one, but IME phased injection massively improves the smoothness of idle and allows you to run much leaner idle, which helps with driveability too. Of course it will be perfectly drivable (batch fire on a 4 cyl works perfectly well away from idle) but down around idle I find injection timing to be really quite important.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.