Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2x dead alternator, but why????
MK7

posted on 2/9/04 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
2x dead alternator, but why????

My second diahatsu alternator has just died with the same problem. It seems that the rotor winding has burned out which the very helpful auto electrical company (NAES in Manchester) tell me is most unusual.

Anyone know enough about alternators to know why this might happen? The alternator is fitted to a 1.8 pinto. It only ever sees any stress when it's starting the engine, i.e. I never, or very seldom have the lights on (ok, the odd indicator and very occassionally a brake light ) certainly not enought to stress the alternator I would have thought.

This last failure was accompanied by some significant rattling from within the alternator so I'm not sure if it burned out to such a degree that bits came off it, I doubt that somehow cos the charging light would actually go out above 2,000 rpm.

My wiring harness is from MK and while it was only supplied with 2 wires (Battery and lamp) I can't see that this could cause much of a problem. In fact the first alternator was returned faulty before I'd gotten round to fitting the Ignition feed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 2/9/04 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
over revoloution from too small a pulley? Perhaps

MK7

posted on 2/9/04 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I took the car to NAES to look at the installation and they said it looked OK.

I'm sure there are other's out there with the same alternator on a Pinto?

Anyone else had the same problem?

It would help me to hear from anyone that running the same set up as me so I can feed this back to NAES...

Cheers

hortimech

posted on 2/9/04 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
is this alternator one of the small japanese ones? 6mm bolt on output and two other connectors together in "T" formation.

Why does everything happen to me

MK7

posted on 2/9/04 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
yes
hortimech

posted on 2/9/04 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
as I have found out, these are wired different from lucas type alternators. the two connectors are for the lamp earth and the energiser wire, so it is possible you wired it up wrong. I cannot remember which one is which, will check tomorow and let you know. I have never known one of these alternators to burn out before, usually its the diode plate that fails, if anything

MK7

posted on 2/9/04 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
The two terminals are clearly marked as L an IG so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. The engineers at NAES had a tester and confirmed that the lamp wire was actually connected to the lamp so they were happy with that, still, any light that you can shed on it will be appreciated.

Cheers

hortimech

posted on 3/9/04 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
the two terminals are L and IG, they are arranged in a "T", the upright of the t is the L terminal and should be connected to the negative side of the charge warning lamp. the other terminal is the energising terminal and should be connected to a switched 12v source.
the other larger connector is the output and should be connected either to the battery positive terminal or to the starter motor main input.

[Edited on 3/9/04 by hortimech]

silex

posted on 4/9/04 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
Does your battery charge normally (when the alternator was working) ?

Has the battery ever appeared to draine quickly - say overnight ?

Murphy's 2 laws

1. If it can go wrong it will
2. In case of emergency - refer to rule 1.

MK7

posted on 6/9/04 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
When the alternator was fitted and for around 1,000 miles everything worked well.

I'm beginning to think that mangogrooveworkshop may be on the right track with the small pulley.

When they fix it this time I've asked them to fit a larger diameter pully. Unfortunately no-one seems to know what the specification is for this alternator so it'll be a bit hit and miss.

What about those of you who've also fitted one of these onto a Pinto? Am I the only one having this problem?

bob

posted on 6/9/04 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the Bedford rascal/suzuki SJ10 alternator which is basicaly the same.Not had any probs so far but i've got less miles so i'm watching progress.

hortimech

posted on 6/9/04 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK7

When they fix it this time I've asked them to fit a larger diameter pully. Unfortunately no-one seems to know what the specification is for this alternator so it'll be a bit hit and miss.

where would you like the copy of the repair instructions/ parts list/specifications for your alternator mailing to?

MK7

posted on 7/9/04 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hortimech, you have u2u with my email and postal address.

Thanks

Hasse

posted on 8/9/04 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
Hello,

A car size alternator would in most cases be ok for up to at least 18.000 rpm, and a small Japanese one maybe a bit more.

Is your pulley lining up properly to secure a smothe run without vibrations? Vibrations might affect the connection between brush and rotor, but i dont know if it could cause some overhetaing in the rotor coil.

It is hard to see why the rotorcoil would burn twice, since it is really not carrying a lot of current, beeing switched on/off all the time by the voltage regulator.

Could you have had a problem with your voltage regulator causing the rotor to be switched on constantly?

Charging lamp going out at 2000 rpm seems a bit high, mine go out at idling, below 1000rpm. Could point to a possible voltage regulator error.

/Hasse

MK7

posted on 9/9/04 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hortimech,

thanks for sending the spec, very nice service than you

Hasse,
I'll have to do a bit of maths to find out how fast the alternator is actually turning.

From what I can tell, the installation is OK, i.e. the pulleys line up and there's no particular vibration.

The charge light going off only happened after the thing chose to die for the second time.

Russell

hortimech

posted on 9/9/04 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK7

The charge light going off only happened after the thing chose to die for the second time.

Russell

do you mean the charge light was illuminated all the time the engine was running?

MK7

posted on 10/9/04 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
The alternator worked perfectly for a while (1,000 miles) then a rattling sound appeared then a few miles later the warning light came on.

The warning light stays on below around 2,000 to 2,500 rpm then extinguishes so the alternator must be giving some charge. The charge must be very low though, I say this because when the alternator was working correctly the load on the engine could be heard when switching lights / rad fan on. Now neither of these activities causes a change in engine load.

Russell

CairB

posted on 10/9/04 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
MK7,
Just a thought.
Have you inspected inside the alternator for mechanical damage, possibly caused by something getting into it?

Cheers,

Colin

hortimech

posted on 10/9/04 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have reread this thread and the only thing that I can think of is that you have wired it up wrong. In the motor trade lucas alternators are common, in my trade (very big expensive lawnmowers) we only see these alternators and they virtually never go wrong. As for the speed its revolving at, I am informed they are used on F1 cars and I think they probably rev harder than your engine

DEAN C.

posted on 11/9/04 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
This sounds a lot like my Toyota (Denso) alternator and they wire up totally different to a Lucas type.
It needs a ignition feed to it,and the warning light wire feeds live to one side of your lamp with a diode in have a live to the other side of the warning light as well.
The light goes out when one side becomes an earth,I think(its a bit since I wired it up )but I also think its the method of wiring thats at fault,its suprising how many electricians and mechanics will not know how to wire it up if its an ununusual system, as they only fix them when they are knackerd.I'm a service engineer and fit alternators and repair wiring faults all the time,as well as checking charging systems etc..but until I wired mine I thought they all wired up the traditional way...
DEAN..

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Chippy

posted on 11/9/04 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Alternator

You know gentlemen, this all sounds like a very good reason to change to a Lucas 16 ACR, I have had them on almost all the cars I have owned, and never had one go down. Just a thought, hope you get it sorted. ATB Chippy.
hortimech

posted on 12/9/04 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DEAN C.
This sounds a lot like my Toyota (Denso) alternator and they wire up totally different to a Lucas type.
It needs a ignition feed to it,and the warning light wire feeds live to one side of your lamp with a diode in have a live to the other side of the warning light as well.
The light goes out when one side becomes an earth,I think
DEAN..

Nope, no diodes required, and when alternator starts to charge it turns the charge lamp earth off.
IMHO this how alternators should be wired, with a lucas alternator if the bulb blows you get NO charge and NO light to tell you it is not charging

DEAN C.

posted on 12/9/04 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ill agree with you there,Just had major grief at work when I turned up to repair a JCB Teletruk,which had ate three batteries in two weeks,because another engineer from another contractor had been called out to it he just kept fitting batteries and alternators,I checked it out and realised the dash panel was rusty and the bulb wasn't working all the time, hence no charge light and no charged up battery

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

MK7

posted on 13/9/04 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure the wiring is OK because for the last 1,000 miles it's worked well, and the autoelectrical people tested it and said it was right....

As for the chance of something getting inside and causing damage, I'll have a chat with the supplier and try to find out what kind of damage occurred. I recall they said that a plastic separator between the rotor and stator has melted...

I'm wondering if the problem could be caused by heat from the exhaust. With a pinto the exhaust is pretty close to the alternator (2-3 inches in front of and below number 1 pipe), I suspect that most of the other cars have their exhaust on the passengers side???

Hugh Jarce

posted on 23/9/04 at 05:53 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like all the smoke has leaked out. All electrical components and wiring harnesses depend on proper circuit functioning, which is the transmission of charged ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke".
Smoke is the substance that makes electrical circuits work. Don't be fooled by so-called scientists and engineers talking about “excited electrons” and the like. Smoke is the key to all things electrical.
We know this to be true because every time one lets smoke out of an electrical circuit, it stops working. This can be verified repeatedly through empirical testing. For example, if one places a large copper bar across the terminals of a battery, prodigious quantities of smoke are liberated and the battery shortly ceases to function. In addition, if one observes smoke escaping from an electrical component such as a Lucas voltage regulator, it will also be observed that the component no longer functions.
The logic is elementary and inescapable. The function of the wiring harness is to conduct the smoke from one electrical device to another. When the wiring harness springs a leak and allows all the smoke to exit the system, immediately, nothing works.
Starter motors were considered unsuitable for British motorcycles for some time largely because they regularly released sizeable quantities of smoke from the electrical system.
It has been reported that Lucas brand components are possibly more prone to electrical leakage than their Bosch, Japanese or American counterparts.
Sometimes you may miss the component releasing the smoke that makes your electrical system function correctly, but if you sniff around you can often find the faulty component by the undeniable and telltale smell of the smoke. Sometimes this is a better indicator than standard electrical tests performed with a voltmeter.
In conclusion, the basic concept of transmission of electrical energy in the form of smoke provides a clear and logical explanation of the mysteries of electrical components and why they fail.

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.