Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2x dead alternator, but why????
Rob Lane

posted on 23/9/04 at 07:54 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, yes, I've seen this phenomenon

It happens to people as well.

You see them stood outside businesses sucking on white stick like objects.

Smoke then escapes, this then seems to prevent them from working.

[Edited on 23/9/04 by Rob Lane]

MK7

posted on 25/9/04 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
So what you are saying in effect is that the battery is a store house of smoke and presumably the alternator is some kind of fire (which would explain why it gets hot).

And perhaps the reason that the ignition lamp is illuminating is due to a drop in the pressure of smoke somewhere within the system, probably in the area of the alternator which may have sprung a smoke leak?

If this is the case then the problem with the alternator probably stems from the fact that there is a lot of wind rushing around the device and this may have put the fire out.

I think there's a problem with this diagnosis though...

When we had our dog cremated it didn't get any better, far from it in fact. For weeks on end it would lay around the house hardly moving at all. And I think the cremation must have affected its hearing too because in the old days if I threw a ball and shouted fetch, it was off like a shot. Nowadays, as already mentioned, there's no life in the beast at all.

So much for your smoke theory.

Rob Lane

posted on 25/9/04 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Ah no. If you've had the dog cremated then you have created smoke which has escaped up the chimney.

You needed to fill him with more smoke.

This could easily have been achieved by placing a straw in his ar*e and you blowing some of your smoke into him.

This is not always successful though and you may have had to do away with the straw and apply lips directly.

Sometimes though, other dogs may help a stricken dog. This is sometimes seen in the street when one dog is behind another and is pushing it forward with two legs on its back whilst inserting a pink smoke tube.

Other dogs regularily check each other for smoke loss by sniffing for leaks at the rear.

Unfortunately now, he has been without smoke for too long, it's a lost cause.

mickebo

posted on 26/9/04 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
High revs..

Normally when a alternator dies like your it´s to high revs.
I´ve seen it before on rally cars.
Also on startermotors that didn´t release from the flywheel.
So i think your problem is solved!

DEAN C.

posted on 26/9/04 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
All this talk of smoke!What I can smell is not smoke,although it does start with "S"
DEAN

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Hasse

posted on 27/9/04 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
MK7:

I have discussed this with an experienced collegue of mine, and this seems to be a VERY unusuall problem at least in Europeen alternators like Bosch or Valeo.

We belive that the burned rotor may be the effect of a broken regulator beeing switched on constantly. Have you checked the regulator after having the rotor burned?

The cause for broken regulator after something like 1000 miles may be the heat from the exhaust you meantioned.

The solution in this case could then be a heat shielding plate a few centimeters from the alternator facing the exhaust.

/Hasse

MK7

posted on 27/9/04 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
I'll ask the auto electrics company to look at the regulator. The second alternator was a replacement and so the regulator would also be different. I have to ask myself how likely it is that the same fault occurred on two different alternators.

I've measured the diameter of the pulley on the Diahatsu alternator and compared it with the diameter of the original Sierra alternator. The Diahatsu is only 10% smaller than the Sierra and so the speed of the Diahatsu alternator is only going to be 10% greater than the Sierra alternator.

Unless the Diahatsu alternator is designed to rotate at much lower speeds than the Sierra then I suspect the diameter of the pulley is not a problem.

I'll take the car to the auto electrics firm and see if thy have an issue with the heat from the exhaust.

Thanks for your input.

MK7

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.