Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wiring faults
Mike McKinstry

posted on 7/11/03 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
Wiring faults

Hi Guys,sorry to bore you and yes Im still trying to wire up!!To recap using VGreen loom to sierra column switches i have managed to get sidelamps,dash,hazards all working but h/lamps will only work when I turn key to ignition on position-and then only on mainbeam-and indicators also only working when in ignition on position-neither indics or h/lamps working to switches. Has anybody any ideas on how to fix before I pay auto electrician and continue the build process instead of wasting moretime!!!!!HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!please,Mike .
theconrodkid

posted on 8/11/03 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
the headlights should only come oin with ignition,they run through relays,make sure relays are working,later switches switch to earth so relays are wired up differently.hth

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mike McKinstry

posted on 8/11/03 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks,problem is h/lights are on ,and on m/beam,continually when ignition on-I cant switch them off!!Indics are only working when ignition on -obviously I have feeds wrong but as for colours ??-everything appears to be as diagram so really am stumped!!Mike.
Peteff

posted on 8/11/03 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
There is a wire which connects the two sides of the sierra switchgear together. If you can see the terminal numbers on the switches it joins the no15 terminals. This causes most problems as the second position on the right switch does nothing till it is connected. I think it is a thin brown and black wire or a black on the left multifunction switch. If your lights are staying on you have bypassed the switch somewhere or wired your relays wrong.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mike McKinstry

posted on 9/11/03 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Pete,thanks for that -something in it as I had connected a thin brn/blk wire which links left to right plugs to blk on VG loom-I have now disconnected it from VG loom and h/lamps work to switch-thanks.Question now is where should same wire be connected??
Q2.Main beam is connected wrong way to switch(i.e.main on dip switch and dip on main switch)-currently i have Brn/yellow to blue/red on VG loom and brn/white to blue white on Vg-if I swap these will this get dip onto dipswitch and main to main switch?
Q3.Indicators and h/lamps are still however only working when key turned right around to "Starting "position -should indiocs and h/lamps not work on 1st/2nd position of key and if so what is wrong here?
Q4 .I still have a black/yellow wire from light switch side which does appear to be light connected which I have not yet connected-this may be part of problem above-where should this be connected??
Many thanks to all again,Mike.

Northy

posted on 9/11/03 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to the garage now for you fella

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 9/11/03 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Headlights should work on aux position but indicators only when ignition is on, except hazard which should work without key in ignition as should sidelights. I'll look for the black and yellow wire tomorrow and see where it goes on mine but I have a sneaky suspicion it's a common feed from the ignition switch.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Northy

posted on 9/11/03 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
I'm back, 'tis bloody cold out there

1. I think the brown black wire just connects between the switches.

2. Yes, swop your wires round. I've got Brown/Yellow to Blue/White, and Brown/White to Blue/Red. That should sort it

3. Check your ignition connections. From the ignition barrel to the VG loom should be:
Thick Red to Brown on VG
Thick Black/Yellow to White on VG
Thick Black/Blue to White/Red on VG
Don't think they should work on first position, not sure, but they should work in the run position.

4. I've not got a Black/Yellow at all. Have you got windscreen wipers on your car? I haven't and so have removed all the spare wires from the connectors. Can you tell us what "number" the wire plugs into on the connector?

Let me know how you get get on with it, and post again if you need more help.

Cheers

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mike McKinstry

posted on 10/11/03 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Guys-this is what this site is all about and i can only thank you all for taking the time to post-will try amendments and let you know,Mike.
Mike McKinstry

posted on 11/11/03 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Wiring prob

Cheers guys,Graham now I have main beam,h/lamps on switch etc.
Final 2 problems i need to resolve now:
1.I appear to have no flash on h/lamps-what works this-colours?
2.When i had h/lamps on perm. with ignition indics.also worked fine.Now I have managed to connect h/lamps to switch and this works fine the indics flash fine on sidelamps but when i go onto h/lamps they stop-WHY?
Solve these the beer is on me at Stoneleigh 04,Mike.

Northy

posted on 12/11/03 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
Mike, here we go

These are the only connections I have, remember that I am fitting an aeroscreen and thus no wipers, and that my indicators are reversed

On the lights switch:

Grey -> Red on VG loom on the 3 way connector
Red -> Joins the fat red from the ignition switch, and Brown on the VG loom.
2 x Brown/Black -> One goes nowhere, the other goes to the 4 way connector on the other side of the column. We'll get onto that in a min Rescued attachment Wiring 1.jpg
Rescued attachment Wiring 1.jpg

Graham

Northy

posted on 12/11/03 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
The 4 way connector on the other side:

Brown -> Joins another brown wire with an eyelet on the end which screws to the column, and also to chassis (earth).
Brown/Yellow -> Blue/Yellow on VG loom.
Brown/White -> Blue/Red on VG loom.
Brown/Black -> To other side of column as above. Rescued attachment Wiring 2.jpg
Rescued attachment Wiring 2.jpg

Graham

Northy

posted on 12/11/03 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Other connector:

Black -> Green on VG loom.
Top Black/White -> Green/White on VG loom.
Bottom Black/White -> Pale Green/Red on VG loom.
Black/Green -> Green/Red on VG loom.
Red -> 2 x Purple on VG loom.
Black/Red -> Blue/Green on VG loom.

All these go to the one big multiplug.
Remember, the indicators are reversed. Rescued attachment Wiring 3.jpg
Rescued attachment Wiring 3.jpg

Graham

Northy

posted on 12/11/03 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the blurry photos. Hope this sorts out your problems.

Mine's a Fosters

Cheers

Graham

Peteff

posted on 12/11/03 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I did my own wiring using the Sierra switches so I don't know what colours VG uses but the brown/ yellow and brown/white wires go to the earth terminals on the main and dip relays and you can wire the flasher to any power source as it just lights the headlamps when it's pulled back.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

Mike McKinstry

posted on 13/11/03 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Pete ,what colour wire is the flasher-to which I connect perm. live?
Somehow apart from flasher everything seems to be working now-more luck than skill-I have also managed to wire up all ig. under bonnet so will put some water and fuel in and ready for blastoff!!

One further query-indicators seem to be flashing far too quickly-probably twice the speed of my roadcars-no bulbs out-std. sierra flasher relay and std 2 rear,2 side,2 front set up-any answers??

theconrodkid

posted on 13/11/03 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
if you got bike front indicators they may have 10w bulbs inneed to put some more load in circuit if thats the case

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Northy

posted on 13/11/03 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Mike, when you pull the lever to flash the head lights, the top two wires on this connector are connected.

Did you wire the relays as I said? Switching earth to the relays? If so, then the top wire on this picture (Brown) should be connected to your earth (chassis). Then your relay should click, and your lights flash

Cheers

Graham

Northy

posted on 13/11/03 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, what Conrod said

Check the wattages of the bulbs.

Cheers

Graham

Mike McKinstry

posted on 14/11/03 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys-
No haven't done relays yet-still using switches but will check connection to brn/yellow-my brown is def. to earth.

Yes,they are bike indics so will change bulbs.

Am getting clicking noise from distributor area when switching lights or when indics are flashing-wondering if something is shorting-anyone else experienced this??
Mike

theconrodkid

posted on 14/11/03 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
do the lights and/or ign amp earth on the same screw?poss that if they do

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Northy

posted on 15/11/03 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Could be flasher unit clicking?

Graham

Mike McKinstry

posted on 20/11/03 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Flasher unit

Hey Conrods right,the bulbs in my bike indics are 10w and the sierra flasher relay is marked for 98 watts -I would only have 62ish-problem is I cannot find a 21w indic bulb that will fit in my units-do i need to source a lower wattage flasher relay and if so from what??Also-clicking has gone reconnected all earths-conrod right again!!Mike.
theconrodkid

posted on 21/11/03 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
never been known to be wrong(much)i had to put some 5w repeaters in under the dash to gat the speed down,earlier flashers without side repeaters may be lowwer wattage,worth a look

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mike McKinstry

posted on 22/11/03 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
good thinkin,early flasher relay may be answer -dont remember minis etc having side repeaters?Mike.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.