Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gutted - hit from behind
clairetoo

posted on 21/1/10 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Gutted - hit from behind

Just eleven days into enjoying my `new' Corsa , and the dream is over
I was allmost getting used to having following cars 3 feet off my back bumper out of every roundabout (I've checked the hand book , and theres nothing in about acceleration , there just isnt any....) , and tonight after leaving work , first roundabout , and there is a car maybe six feet behind as I head up the by-pass .
As I press the clutch to go into fourth gear there is a clunk (sounded like the pedal springing back up) and no pedal under my foot - WTF ............... so while looking for the pedal , thinking my foot just slipped off the pedal , I jab the brake pedal (by now I'm a bit flustered) ................
Nope , thats not the clutch...........so rolling in neutral , slowing , and BANG , the idiot who was too close has hit me
Two hours waiting at the roadside for the RAC to bung a solderless nipple on to get me home

So , now to phone RAC insurance...........

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

mookaloid

posted on 21/1/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

smart51

posted on 21/1/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hear that Claire. Still, it wasn't an expensive car, as you were telling us last week. Did the arsehole explain why he was tailgating? Or why he crashed into a car that was travelling in the same direction as him?

scootz

posted on 21/1/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Here... have a big Scottish "Och-Naw!"

It's Evolution Baby!

will121

posted on 21/1/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
may be worth missing the bit where you hit the brake not the clutch of the insurance claim form
Ben_Copeland

posted on 21/1/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
at least theres no way he can get out of not paying for it !

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

MakeEverything

posted on 21/1/10 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Here... have a big Scottish "Och-Naw!"

and an even bigger "Get-de-Fock" to the tailgater!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

scudderfish

posted on 21/1/10 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by will121
may be worth missing the bit where you hit the brake not the clutch of the insurance claim form

Why? The guy behind was 100% responsible. You should be able to slam the anchors on and come to a halt and if the guy behind can't stop in time, tough luck for him.

will121

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:

Why? The guy behind was 100% responsible. You should be able to slam the anchors on and come to a halt and if the guy behind can't stop in time, tough luck for him.

i agree with you totally, but my gut feeling is if his insurance company got that statement they may try claim knock for knock or at least even if fully comp and get paid out claim may be portracted and cause delays with NCD unless insured against it

Daddylonglegs

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the bad news Claire, but as already said, NEVER admit to anything to insurance, that is a sure fire way of some serious red tape and wriggling on their part.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

r1_pete

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Gutted for you, but the shock of being hit must have caused you to hit the brake and clutch so hard the clutch cable broke.

The standard of driving some folk display is apalling, if they have licences they came in lucky bags.....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clairetoo

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
That was fun !
Just got off the phone after talking to my insurers , and I did say I tapped the brake (while trying to find the missing clutch pedal with a car a few feet behind me.....) - and the first thing I'm happy about is they said straight away I wasnt to blame
Next problem.............when the other driver wrote down her details , she seems to have put a daytime phone number , and no reg number
Is there an easy way to find someones phone number , given a name and address ?
I've had a look in the boot , and the way the spare wheel is squashed in place tells me it will almost certainly be a right-off , so I need to get the claim moving ASAP !

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

r1_pete

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Your insurers should be able to get all they need from her name and address.

[Edited on 21/1/10 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichieHall

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
BT.com?

Rust is lighter than Carbon Fibre!

iank

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
Is there an easy way to find someones phone number , given a name and address ?

Directory enquiries should have it if not ex-directory.

118 500 for BT

(or 118 118, 118 247 and all those other irritating tv adverts)

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

clairetoo

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sorted - here - piggin' answerphone

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

loggyboy

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:

Not true (allthough in this case as there was a fault with the car there will be no issue)
If you just slam on the anchors for no reason (ie brake test someone) that falls under driving without due care, therefore if it could be proven (ie witnesses/cctv) that there was no good reason to brake violently then not only could it be classed as your fault but you could also get points and a fine.

LBMEFM

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hard luck Claire, least it wasn't the Fury
balidey

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
My clutch cable snapped on me on friday evening on way home from work. Had about 24 miles home with about 8 roundabouts, 2 sets of traffic lights and 3 level crossings. I think the clutch gods were smiling on me as I managed the whole journey with one stall that needed a quick re-start on the ignition. I must admit I may have annoyed some drivers behind me as I slowed to junctions early, but in a small cheap car (cinquecento) I am also used to towing every other flippin car on the road with my invisible 3 inch long tow rope
YQUSTA

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Gutted for you Claire that really does suck but as said it wasn't the Fury so not as bad as it could have been.

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

clairetoo

posted on 21/1/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by YQUSTA
Gutted for you Claire that really does suck but as said it wasn't the Fury so not as bad as it could have been.

Ah - but in the Fury I dont have that problem of tailgaters while I wait for it respond to the accelerator pedal

Do all small cars come with that invisible 3 inch tow rope ?

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

RK

posted on 21/1/10 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Well, I`ve been in a similar boat, having been hit from behind several times, actually. Never touched the brakes either!

As said, say NOTHING to the insurance people. And go get your neck checked out by the medical people right away. This could be important, as this type of injury doesn`t manifest symptoms right away.

I rented a Corsa last year. You do need to plan in advance don`t you? You can almost push it faster than it can accelerate.

Steve G

posted on 21/1/10 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Oh bugger not good Claire.

But at least on the positive side, her name and address checks out so you havent been given duff details (unless she dropped a friend in the crap!!). Have you tried a Google search on the daytime number too - probably a local company which i'd be checking out tomorrow if i was you to get her Reg number for your insurance company to chase up unless she gives you that herself.

MikeR

posted on 21/1/10 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear your ok - thats the main thing.

Check your shoulder tomorrow - you may find you've got some nice bruises & tenderness.

Whilst I hate the compensation culture in this country - i don't mind some people getting their moneys worth.

If you can't lift things tomorrow due to the brusing and it causes a problem with work, get your boss to write something down and see if you can claim your earnings back - especially if you're unable to do overtime this weekend you where booked in for.

Peteff

posted on 22/1/10 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Corsa clutch cables are a common fault, the top of the pedal wears out and frets the cable by twisting the nipple, I put two on my daughter's car in 3 months before realising what was causing it. You have to brake when you realise you are not in full control of the car, the following driver was in the wrong.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.