Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mazda donor
tri

posted on 26/8/12 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Mazda donor

Hi

I have decided I want to build a Vortx using the mx5 donor just got a quick question about which mx5 I can use I was sure I read per 95 only but have since read differently can someone please clear this up for me I know either 1.6 or 1.8 will work just the age range I'm confused with

Thanks
Tri

RK

posted on 26/8/12 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
Apparently, there is one with a particular crank issue, but I forget which is which. There was a CKC article a couple of months ago on this, by John Dickens.
theconrodkid

posted on 26/8/12 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote
it,s the really early ones that are affected,if the fan belt pulley has 4 slots it,s a short nose and need looking at,if it has 6 slots it,s ok

[Edited on 26/8/12 by theconrodkid]

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

BigLee

posted on 26/8/12 at 06:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
it,s the really early ones that are affected,if the fan belt pulley has 4 slots it,s a short nose and need looking at,if it has 6 slots it,s ok

[Edited on 26/8/12 by theconrodkid]

Correct. 4 slot is short nose and generally seen as the weaker engine. Long nose had 8 slots around the crank pulley and is the stronger of the 2. Pre '94 makes the emissions easier as you don't need a cat. Mine flew through even with a turbo. Import engines seem to be regarded as a little better, but I've yet to find a reason why. You can tell the difference by the O2 sensor. Uk has 4 wires, import has a single wire.

Lee

tri

posted on 26/8/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replies did not know about the engine problems does it matter the year for the kit or will most be able to be fitted

Tri

first350

posted on 27/8/12 at 03:09 AM Reply With Quote
I'm running a Miata Vortx, from a '99 miata.

IMO go with the 1.8 ('94 and later)
-more power
-Better diff (Torsen, rather than the VLSD in the 1.6L), also stronger
-Stronger Transmission
-bigger brakes (not really needed for a locost)

the early 1.8L's ('94-'95) were OBDI (simplier emissions), compared to the '95+ which are OBDII.

check out the below link, it lists all the miata from '90-'97, it's helpful in figuring out which ones came with a LSD; I've found it's a good gauge, but I always call Mazda anyways to run the VIN and double check what options it came with...so many people mod them.
http://www.miata.net/faq/Miata90-97A3.pdf

hope that helps!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.