Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Power Tools Warning. Please Read! Important!
BenB

posted on 27/1/10 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
Thanks for sharing.

We all need to remember that these thigns can happen.

However.....

To all the folks saying that the answer is to use a cordless.
Wrong answer in my opinion.

The correct tool for this job is a drill with an adjustable clutch so it can't deliver any torque over that which you choose.
Used to use one all the time for coring walls.

that's certainly true with TCT core drills. Even a non adjustable clutch will save you wrists if the drill jams.... Otherwise it's snapola.....

power tools are dangerous....

worst thing I saw whilst working in A+E was someone who wanted to drill through some wood with an auger bit, hadn't got a workbench so put the wood on his lap. Wood split and you can guess the consequences. It was summer so he was wearing shorts. Had an entry wound in the front of his shorts and another one in the back. Amazingly he hadn't kebabed himself but he had abraded the hell out of his meat + two veg- looked like someone had taken wire wool to his love sacks and attacked his bell end with an angry kitten

Actually, maybe the drilling wood story was BS and it was just kinky sex!!

Looked blooming sore mind. Couldn't really do much either other than walk away wincing (me not the patient!).

bodger

posted on 27/1/10 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Wow!, I had a near miss with a pedestal drill a few weeks back. Tried to open up the ring crimp hole on a battery cable. I didn't hold it in the vice properly and so the drill bit caught, picked up the crimp & the cable & spun it all around into a nice knot of cable, nearly got my thumb included. I was lucky that time. Anyway I've got to admire you getting back in that garage so soon.
russbost

posted on 27/1/10 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Latest news is I've checked the floorpan & it's ok only a couple of scratches!

The tool was a top quality one, probably the first time I'd ever used it too, I can vouch for the fact that the teeth are really sharp - I never normally make holes that big!

I agree a cordless would have been safer, slippy clutch type even better, but at the end of the day all I had to do was break thro' & then slow down the drill speed - I didn't!
As I've said, my own stupid error which I now have to live with the consequences of - thanx for all the nice thoughts & good wishes guys, but I'm basically OK, a bit of pain & a bit uglier than b4, but hey ho!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
davie h

posted on 27/1/10 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
feck me, i felt quesy(spelling) reading that, i hope you recover quickly.

Davie

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24179682@N04/?saved=1

splitrivet

posted on 27/1/10 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to read of your misfortune and hope your feeling a bit better. At least you didnt loose an eye or something so at least theres that to be grateful for, nasty buggers holesaws.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 27/1/10 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Alan B

posted on 27/1/10 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Altogether now (in 'ard northern footie fashion.......)

"Soft southern bastard, yer just a..."

Seriously though....OUCH

Lesson for all of us there...just glad that are you able to delivery the message personally.....hope it heals quickly.

Alan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 27/1/10 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Thats not very good......my 25 year old mains powered bosch took out my knees on a job drilling with a 400mm bit. Bit stopped in the wall and drill continued......my knees still quiver when we require the big bosch...

As some one who has had his face put back together twice....the scars heal but sh*t the pain when they sewed me up the pain was **********.
You will heal and learn holesaws are slowsaws.

NigeEss

posted on 27/1/10 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hoping you a scar free recovery.

Why do we do these things ?
We've all (almost) been there..... "I'd best be careful here as if 'xyz' happens....%&&$$ THAT HURT"

But we do it anyway !! Always wise after the fact !

BTW.....Pictures !!

[Edited on 27/1/10 by NigeEss]

locostbuyer83

posted on 27/1/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Glad your ok dude. Same goes for angle grinders... I had a wire brush thing on mine and it caught my glove... Grabbed the glove and wripped it apart, along with my skin. Didn't go well but I was lucky.

It's so easy to ignore the dangers of powertools.

Nash

posted on 27/1/10 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
'kin 'el Russ! I had tingles up my ar*e reading that.

Sorry to hear it fella. get mended soon and don't forget to stick a suitable logo on the side with a cross through it ala fighter pilot enemy downed sticker. You'll be an ACE in no time unless you take more care. I bet your missus wasn't pleased.

Seriously though keep it clean the last thing you need is an infection.

and get well soon. You can show it off at Detling at Easter.

.....Neil

It's What You Do Next That Counts.

Build It, Buy It, Drive It:
Southern Kit Car Club

speedyxjs

posted on 27/1/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Holy cow!!! I wish i hadnt read that now (feeling a bit off)

Gld your ok (ish) though. Could have been much worse. Its been a while since someone posted a thread about their injurys (last one i remember actually did post a pic and it wasn't nice!)

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Simon

posted on 27/1/10 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
I’m not looking for sympathy,

Well, you'll get it anyway - we all have those moments, as it takes so little time between the thinking of taking a shortcut and the oh shite moment!

Glad you've been put back together and hope for the speediest recovery. Much relief that the car's ok

I only ever use holesaws in pillardrill with "victim" clamped firmly, or chain drill if not poss.

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 27/1/10 by Simon]

skinned knuckles

posted on 27/1/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
jesus, that made me cringe! fairplay to your mrs though for letting you straight back on the horse. i have to hide even the minor injurys (and the singed clothes) or i would recieve a lengthly ban from the shed till i'd learned my lesson

hope the pain isn't too bad, and at least you can tell complete strangers that you did it carrying out controlled explosions on terrorist bombs while saving little orphans on a bus

A man isn't complete until he's married, then he's finished

SPYDER

posted on 27/1/10 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.
You could try putting a squirt of WD40 on it.
The holesaw, that is, not your lip! It will tend to snag up less often.
Cordless tools can be just as user-unfriendly. I have an 18v drill that delivers monster torque and could easily result in a similar accident.
Geoff.

carpmart

posted on 27/1/10 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Russ - Same best wishes from me as everyone else has put forward!

Pics would be good, before and after ideally!

Be careful out there people!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Angel Acevedo

posted on 27/1/10 at 11:55 PM Reply With Quote
Mistakes

Russ,
I hope you recover without complications, don´t fuss a lot about scars as girls are attracted a lot more to guys that have facial scars.
Also to everybody else, there have been instances where members have been flogged ´cause they made mistakes. That shouldn´t be te norm, if you are brave enough to put in writing that you f**ed up, we all need to listen and learn to try to keep out of trouble not jump on you or else for committing that mistake, no matter how silly or evident. (not that we will be though)
Best wishes.
AA
PS: This was writing in simpathy, English is not my Mother Tongue, so I apologise if something got lost in translation.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 28/1/10 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by carpmart
Pics would be good,.....

No, they wouldn't

Probably!

ATB

Simon

amalyos

posted on 29/1/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Glad your OK Russ, sounds horrific.

On a positive note, at least you got the good looking Russ in the Kitcar mag

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

russbost

posted on 1/2/10 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Steve - I think the pic in Complete Kitcar is the last one taken of me b4 I decided on the DIY reconstructive surgery - have to say perhaps I've taken Locosting too far, might be better to pay a surgeon if I want another facelift!
Whose this "good looking Russ" you're talking about

[Edited on 1/2/10 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
dan8400

posted on 3/2/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Only just found this thread....

Hope your healing well Russ... sounds awful.

It is very sobering reading about your accident, but, i'm glad you put it on here. Makes us all think about face protection, gloves etc etc.... I only ever do grinding with a full face mask after hearing horror stories from others.

Get well soon

Dan

mads

posted on 3/2/10 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
get well soon & look at the tape you can put on scars to reduce the swelling / redness once its started to heal - ask a pharmacist about cica-care.

(if he says he's no idea, ask if he gets the All About Health magazine from AAH then get him to turn to the back page)

Russ - sorry to hear about what happened. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

As for Mike's suggestion, you would be better off using Bio-Oil. Expensive (£8 a bottle) but really good stuff if you use it regularly.

[Edited on 3/2/10 by mads]

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

MikeR

posted on 3/2/10 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'd go with what mads says....

I just read the back of the All About Health magazine and it seemed to fit the bill from the advertising.

franky

posted on 3/2/10 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
glad you're ok.
russbost

posted on 6/2/10 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Guys, yet again.

Update, have had stitches out & seen dentist, apparently I've knocked a white filling out I wasn't aware of & removed a bit from the top of one of the caps on my front teeth, they've X rayed & there is a tiny crack in the upper jaw which will heal on its own in time.

Went to see the surgeon yesterday, 10 days after accident, I thought they'd missed taking one of the stiches out right up at the top inside my lip - turned out the holesaw had fired a small piece of tooth/cap into the gum, past the end of the "accident site" so he removed that (not fun!) & everything is now a lot more comfortable. He recommended bio oil which I now have some of.

Re pictures, which seems to have advocates for & against! I never took any when I looked like something out of a Frankenstein movie & now, you have to look quite hard to actually se the scar thro' my moustache - haven't dared go near the upper lip with a razor! I am absolutely gobsmacked (no pun intended!) at how well the whole thing has healed given it was a pretty horrific injury & how little pain I've had. It's all still a bit sore & I guess will be for a while, but really hasn't given me much aggro at all. I'm not planning on doing any jumps whilst skiing in a weeks time tho'!

Again, thanks for all the good wishes & please don't try to emulate me!

Angel Acevedo

posted on 6/2/10 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Cheers Guys, yet again......
heal on its own in time. You will be surprised, I had once an incident on a Quad bike that left a BALL on my lower lip that prevented me from whistling for maybe a year, now you can barely see a line, even that the wound was 2 cm long and no stitches ot butterflies were put to it.

.......more comfortable. He recommended bio oil which I now have some of.I rather leave it as is, scars are part of what makes your personality, I´d think thats OK for actors and the like, but I have never worried for the appearance of a scar, I have yet to have one on the face, well, I actually have so many that you cann´t tell, I was treated with Radio Therapy and I have almost no facial hair on my left cheek, funnyly enough, çi can still grow a goatie if I want.... and with the money you save you can buy a few pints for anesthesia, maybe a couple of lt of strong barley wine

Again, thanks for all the good wishes & please don't try to emulate me!

I wouldn´t want to emulate building mistakes, let alone dangerous mistakes.
Thanks for posting, as this brings us back to reality in the way that even if it´s a very rewarding hobby, it´s not risk free...
Best wishes,
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.