Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: shhhhh
Mr Whippy

posted on 16/2/24 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
shhhhh

It's certainly as quiet as quiet can be and quieter...

Is everyone asleep or no longer able to log in?

Description
Description

BANG!

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Schrodinger

posted on 16/2/24 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I keep logging in but there is not much happening.

Keith
Aviemore

jacko

posted on 16/2/24 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
That’s exactly what I have been saying with a post I posted about a week ago
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 16/2/24 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone contacted Luke or Chris to see if they can resolve the problem without forcing re-confirming. The effort involved in re-confirming is likely to be a very high barrier to anyone who doesn't frequent regularly.
Slater

posted on 16/2/24 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, it's scarily quiet on here these days, very concerning....

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/2/24 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Has anyone contacted Luke or Chris to see if they can resolve the problem without forcing re-confirming. The effort involved in re-confirming is likely to be a very high barrier to anyone who doesn't frequent regularly.

Nope, probably should

nick205

posted on 17/2/24 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Tis indeed quiet on here.

Having to reconfirm may have lost us a few. Be good to remove that issue.

Those still here seem to talk sense (IMHO).

bi22le

posted on 17/2/24 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
It was a right pain validating my email address. I just kept going round in circles with links not working.

In the end I tried another browser. A really shame as this forum was soooo good and had been brilliant for me.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

christim

posted on 17/2/24 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
It seems like there aren't as many self builds going on any more either? Haynes forum too has always been quieter but is pretty much a (very useful) archive site now.
I know some say it's all about facebook pages now but tbh even there it doesn't seem like there's as much going on as there used to be

Also is it me or are there fewer cars about on the road? Few years ago I'd pass a car say every month or two on the road. I'm not sure I saw any last year.
(I'll be increasing the number...on the road this year for sure)

Slimy38

posted on 18/2/24 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by christim
It seems like there aren't as many self builds going on any more either? Haynes forum too has always been quieter but is pretty much a (very useful) archive site now.
I know some say it's all about facebook pages now but tbh even there it doesn't seem like there's as much going on as there used to be

Also is it me or are there fewer cars about on the road? Few years ago I'd pass a car say every month or two on the road. I'm not sure I saw any last year.
(I'll be increasing the number...on the road this year for sure)

Haynes has been dead for a while, I'm sure the last post was a few years back. As you say it's a useful archive site though.

I have to agree with your last statement though, it was only a few years back when I'd regularly see a Seven 'something' or two on my journey. Admittedly my more recent driving requires motorways which are not the usual haunt of DIY cars. But driving through an average village in the summer usually revealed at least one car on someone's drive, getting attention from either a sponge or a spanner. The last time I saw something on the road was on the way to Malvern last year.

SteveWalker

posted on 18/2/24 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen a couple of 7s out and about in the last fortnight. Both passing through suburban areas. My own (if I get around to fixing the exhaust) will be having its MOT when the weather gets better.
JoelP

posted on 18/2/24 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'm picking mine up next week, so hopefully back in weekly use.

The forum is in gradual decline I guess. Once it gets quiet, people stop dropping past and out only gets worse. The recent crashes won't have helped. Loads of forums have died completely, such as difflock etc, so I guess we should be glad there's anything left at all.

Maybe have to start a few irl meet ups.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

loggyboy

posted on 18/2/24 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ive only just bothered resending my email verification just been lurking for a few weeks debating on if it was worth visiting!
r1_pete

posted on 21/2/24 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Ive only just bothered resending my email verification just been lurking for a few weeks debating on if it was worth visiting!

Me too, seems to have been declining for a couple of years, dropped by round Christmas and got the re validate banner, couldn't be bothered then, just done it while waiting for and eye exam.....

turnipfarmer

posted on 21/2/24 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
I've had an email verification issue, but I found a way round it.

Ignore the message when it appears at logon, & try replying to a post on the forum - any one will do.
It won't let you, but the verification request it throws up then, seems to take a different route through the software.
A route that works! Maybe worth a try?

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/2/24 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turnipfarmer
I've had an email verification issue, but I found a way round it.

Ignore the message when it appears at logon, & try replying to a post on the forum - any one will do.
It won't let you, but the verification request it throws up then, seems to take a different route through the software.
A route that works! Maybe worth a try?

ingenious

Shandylegs

posted on 21/2/24 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
As has been previously mentioned, when you get the validation email through, don’t click on the ‘validate’ - copy and paste the link into your browser and it will work.

I think others have hit the nail on the head - people aren’t building anymore, or not in the numbers that previously did. Although I still love the kit car ethos, I think there are a combination of factors.
- Although the quality is so much better than before, it’s a big financial commitment to build something that will only ever be a toy.
- Production cars are now super quick. Whereas your pinto powered locost was fairly quick 20 years ago, most hot hatches now seem to be running 300hp (as a minimum) and would embarrass most kit cars on the road.

Would love to hear others views/thoughts on this…

scudderfish

posted on 22/2/24 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shandylegs
- Production cars are now super quick. Whereas your pinto powered locost was fairly quick 20 years ago, most hot hatches now seem to be running 300hp (as a minimum) and would embarrass most kit cars on the road.

My Kia Stinger is quicker than the first 4 interations of the Lambo Countach. A Kia!

MikeR

posted on 22/2/24 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
And to add to that, I think the quality of the roads had also changed. Far too many pot holes that a ton too just soaks up.

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/2/24 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:
Originally posted by Shandylegs

My Kia Stinger is quicker than the first 4 interations of the Lambo Countach. A Kia!

I think most Tesla's would leave almost all 90's supercars way behind. Tbh I think the power figures from most of the newer EV's are totally stupid and much to fast for use on the road. I welcome mandatory speed limiters on cars, going on country roads is deadly now. A couple of weekends ago we went skiing and on the way there we were overtaken by a Range Rover passing us at a busy T-junction at far in excess of 100mph, it was just sheer luck that no one was killed. I sit next to the cost engineer here who is aiming to get over 400bhp out his BMW mini, problem is he drives like a total twat and there's only one final out come of that. Either he dies or ends up in jail for killing others.

Twobeers

posted on 27/2/24 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
Cars may be getting more powerful but in fairness i hardly ever come across any one driving with any degree of purpose so to speak. Most people seem to be driving sensibly, which i suppose should be a good development.

A far cry from the 90s, where coming up to a Sierra Cosworth in say an M3 always resulted in some sort of gentle to purposeful interaction at best and a balls out car chase at worst.

Everyone seems to drive like they've got 9 points on their license. Perhaps the message that speed kills has finally won the day but in some ways I'm pleased; most modern cars' superior dynamics are utilised in accident reduction, you don't often see cars poking out of hedges any more which has to be a good thing.

I'm very grateful for the last 40 years of driving, I'm so pleased I'll be missing most of the next 40:-)

As to why the forum is quiet, I wasn't around when it was busy, but I imagine it has much to do with a larger section of younger people not having the wherewithal to build stuff these days. But I may be wrong.

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/2/24 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Twobeers
Cars may be getting more powerful but in fairness i hardly ever come across any one driving with any degree of purpose so to speak. Most people seem to be driving sensibly, which i suppose should be a good development.

Where on earth do you live?? it's certainly not round here

_luke

posted on 27/2/24 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy

I have just checked in - will have a look at this process to see if I can clean it up. Also anyone who was confirmed before will mostly now be confirmed again.

It is an effort to maintain this site - there are people out there who are targeting it for fun.

coyoteboy

posted on 27/2/24 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
That is the nature of the Internet now unfortunately, I have to keep my own sites up to date and constantly monitor them for attacks, not least due to GDPR requirements.
_luke

posted on 27/2/24 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
It's not as simple as keeping up to date as this forum software is very old. The underlying systems are fine, it is the forum software that is an issue.

More changes coming now which should help.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.