New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost Buddies
chrisg

posted on 7/12/02 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Locost Buddies

Hi all,

Take a look at this:-

Locost ”buddy” system

I would like to suggest that the large amount of talent and experience of the Locostbuilders site could be put to better use.

Most people who begin to build a Locost would benefit from an experienced eye being cast over their work, with relation to safety issues and to help with interpreting the book.

As it stands, the SVA test does not cover the standard of welding or things like the proper flaring of brake pipes, things which, if not done properly could fail causing serious injury or death.

Of course this would be made available via the Locostbuilders site, perhaps with the help of a new section, where builders can ask if someone local to them could be their “buddy” with arrangements being made by telephone or E-mail.

People who would be suitable as buddies would be, for example, Welders (professional or experienced amateurs), mechanics and people who have completed their projects. I don’t think any test or qualifications would be required, most people know their own capabilities, if they think they could do it, then they probably could.

This would be totally voluntary of course, but I think it would be one way to improve the “image” of the Locost with any doubters, and anything that makes it easier and improves safety can’t be a bad thing.

Your input would be appreciated

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Duncan

posted on 7/12/02 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
This is a great idea. There must be many people who start to build a locost type vehicle and who give up through sheer frustration when they can not get simple, clear, easy to understand advice or help.
Although I have just started my locost (5 weeks ago) I have extensive experience in building other types of cars and would be happy to volunteer as a "buddy" to anyone who might need this type of support.

locodude

posted on 7/12/02 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
As long as my 'buddy' isn't 'the most boring man in the world', all you yorks lot know who I mean, then I'm all for it.

bob

posted on 7/12/02 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Its a brilliant idea,and is already working for me.
I have found having some help very beneficial,its just costing me a fortune in tea bags

locodude

posted on 7/12/02 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Did I miss something or is bob in an alternate reality?

bob

posted on 7/12/02 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry i lost the plot there.

The build buddy is a great idea though

jollygreengiant

posted on 7/12/02 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Absolutely bril Chris. Also helps if as suggested in a previous posting if people filled in a bit more of there local detail so that you don't get people responding to urgent pleas from the other side of this small planet.
Some of us arent actually building yet (ok but im gona start soon) but I am a time served motor tech (& mot tester, he says quietly). So while ive not got the build skills Ive got mechanic abilities & sympathy.

Just keep the tea cups full.

Jon Ison

posted on 8/12/02 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone building a car with a proper engine install, gis a shout ???

no like a fair few on here, complete car on road, all done in a non heated cold wet garage, made a few mistakes along the way, just ask...........if i can't help i know a man that can.......but never give up, the 1st drive will make it all worth it....

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/12/02 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
chris.

i might be missing something.

I have read your post several times and I cant find any wise quips or wee takes in it.

It seems like a sensible serious suggestion.

Have you been drinking?

atb

steve

locodude

posted on 8/12/02 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote

chrisg

posted on 8/12/02 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure Steve?

Did you put your F i n g e r u n d e r t h e w o r d s ? I must be slipping,

Any how I've mailed ChrisW about this and I think a simple section would work best

i.e Builder posts - someone close to their location responds on here, and then they take it to email or telephone

Would that be ok? Saves having a database of Buddies or anything like that.

I'll let you know what ChrisW says

Cheers

Chris

[Edited on 12/8/02 by chrisg]

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

bob

posted on 8/12/02 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Steve
not much chance of another Sherman tank being replicated in northampton

I want to be alanB's build buddy if only for cheap hols in the sun

stephen_gusterson

posted on 8/12/02 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
you could well be right!

I may never be able to catch you in my car, but heaven help you if it hits you!

My guestimates are its likely to weigh somewhere around 750 - 800 kgs. Not excatly a superlite R but I still recon good for slightly less than 7 secs to 60, - I would be well pleased!

I think i am in a situation a bit like AlanB's - our cars are not really locosts at all, but its so lonely out there when you just prop 'the book' in a dark corner somewhere and do something fairly different.

atb

Steve

PS

Ivan in chernobyl (or was it chechnya) will probably be logging on soon - I will put your name forward if thats ok

[Edited on 8/12/02 by stephen_gusterson]

bob

posted on 8/12/02 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson

Ivan in chernobyl (or was it chechnya) will probably be logging on soon - I will put your name forward if thats ok

He's probably a family member anyway,so thats fine by me.
You never know he might even be building a T38

Alan B

posted on 9/12/02 at 03:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob
......I want to be alanB's build buddy if only for cheap hols in the sun

No problem Bob, drop in anytime...the kettle will be on

Seriously, anyone visiting FL really is very welcome to drop in talk cars and grab a beer

Steve, even though our builds are not "book" locosts I think we are true to the philosophy........i.e. cheapskates, building our own cars at home.. Therefore, there is still lot we can share (and learn too, I guess)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bob

posted on 9/12/02 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
quote:
Originally posted by bob

Seriously, anyone visiting FL really is very welcome to drop in talk cars and grab a beer

Thanks alan,you never know i may take you up on that.

theconrodkid

posted on 9/12/02 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
well Alan im doing nowt over chrismouse ps can i bring my dog?
Alan B

posted on 9/12/02 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm...better ask the US Customs that one

Ok by me though....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/12/02 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
quote:
Originally posted by bob

Steve, even though our builds are not "book" locosts I think we are true to the philosophy........i.e. cheapskates, building our own cars at home.. Therefore, there is still lot we can share (and learn too, I guess)

Agreed on all that, except the low cost bit. I write down all my hours, but not the cost. Too scary. 3,000 quid has gone somewhere.....

atb

steve

chrisg

posted on 9/12/02 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Welding wire mostly, by the looks of it!

Cheers

Chris

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/12/02 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
how do you mean? I have usually continuously welded. Light isnt my main consideration.
Safety is.

atb

Steve

PS - two reels so far. So thats only 2980 to track down. When you consider that shocks are 300, and my seats were 300, and the donor was nearly 300, theres a grand for a start.

Now, the cost of the small bottles of gas, thats something else

[Edited on 9/12/02 by stephen_gusterson]

Viper

posted on 9/12/02 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
small bottles of gas ..........oh dear......why do people buy those poxy things......

stephen_gusterson

posted on 9/12/02 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Viper
small bottles of gas ..........oh dear......why do people buy those poxy things......

cos

there is the hassle of having to rent the big bottles, and the ease of just buying the small ones off the shelf.

A lot of home hobbyists probably dont do something as big as build a locost chassis - its stuff like small chassis repairs when you only use one at a time.

Its like printer cartridges - where the money gets made.

When you buy your 12th or so canister, you have time to reconsider.

As a MK lad, Viper, you should know Motorserve.

They do larger ones - perhaps 2 - 3 times as large - as the little cylinders - and they have the same thread as the small ones. I think tho they might just be CO2 - not sure if they stocked an argon mix.

These look like a good middle of the road alternative. However, most of my welding was completed in some time back.

atb

Steve

[Edited on 9/12/02 by stephen_gusterson]

Viper

posted on 9/12/02 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
well there is no way i would shell out on those thing when i mid size bottle is so cheap, the refill on a full size bottle of mix is about 25 quid and thats a lot of chassis.

chrisg

posted on 20/12/02 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
ChrisW

did you get my mail on the (original)subject of this thread?

Cheers

Chris

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.