Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cost for hard standing?
rayward

posted on 11/7/09 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
cost for hard standing?

looking to get a hard standing for the car , size would be 2.4m x 4.8m x 150mm thick concrete

any ideas on how much this would cost to have done?

cheers
Ray

MakeEverything

posted on 11/7/09 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
You should be able to get a price from Meadymix or other pre-mixed supplier.

If it were me, id go for steel re-inforceing too.

I would budget £300.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Peteff

posted on 11/7/09 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Why 150mm thick ? That sounds a bit OTT to stand a car on. That would take just under 1.75m³ and if you get a builder to dig out, shutter up and lay the base I don't think you would get much change out of £1000.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

hillbillyracer

posted on 11/7/09 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Put a good foundation in with builder's rubble with bits from the size of a brick down to fine at least 6" (that's 150mm for the modern euro folk) thick but the more the better & use whacker plate or small vibration roller to pack it in hard. This means the concrete has good support & doesnt need to be so thick, for a car you'd not need any more than 3" if the base is good. I've got 5" & we jack up tractors on it, no cracks so far after 7 years
I was also told when laying the floor for my workshop & hard standing to put a damp membrane under it, not so much to stop the damp but to stop the concrete leaching into the rubble & loosing some strength

main82000

posted on 11/7/09 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
hi there
just done my garage floor last sunday at 4 inch thick floor size was 20 feet x 12 feet at a cost of 60 quid that was 3 ton of block mix and around 10 or so bags a cement so doing it your self is well worth it pickin up my mk r this monday so had to get it done

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Litemoth

posted on 11/7/09 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
As usual, it depends. If it's on stable ground and If you do the preparation (dig out) and shuttering (bits of board round the outside) about £300 quid. Considerably more if it's in an awkward place to get to or they have to move a lot of soil or if it's on rubbish clay and the thickness needs to be increased and re-bar included.

I did this recently on bigger slab than yours and added a retaining wall - all DIY. The slab was about £400 in raw materials alone.

Slab Costing
Slab Costing

[Edited on 11/7/09 by Litemoth]

wicket

posted on 11/7/09 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
If you are going to put in a dpm blind the hardcore/builders rubble with sand 1st to stop the dpm being pierced

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.