Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cheap powerful engine
scoobyis2cool

posted on 14/7/04 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
Cheap powerful engine

I'm approaching the end of my build and am looking to the future when I would like to upgrade my engine (from a 2L pinto currently)

I like the look of a few engines such as the Vauxhall XE and Zetec but it seems they won't fit into an Indy without replacing the injection system with carbs or throttle bodies, which I can't really afford to do.

Does anyone know of an engine that will fit straight into an Indy and will give good power? I'm looking for something in the region of 150bhp+ but I'll consider any suggestions...

Thanks,

Pete

[Edited on 14/7/04 by scoobyis2cool]

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
millenniumtree

posted on 14/7/04 at 03:55 AM Reply With Quote
VeganTune has a 170hp twin cam engine, and they fit them in LoCosts I believe.

VeganTune Website
http://www.datahighways.co.uk/vegantune/

I think this is a Caterham, but it's got the vegantune twin-cam fitted.
http://freespace.virgin.net/shaw.clan/imagegallery.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mk-Ninja

posted on 14/7/04 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
R1 or ZX12 They should open your eyes and maybe other orifices.

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

DaveFJ

posted on 14/7/04 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
150 bhp is realtively easy to achieve with the 2ltr pinto you already have... so why bother ?

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

zilspeed

posted on 14/7/04 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
The bit about having to remove the standard injection on a zetec.
It may be favourable, but I don't think it's absolutely essential. Here's a zetec on standard induction in a westfield. Ok, there's a turbo on it, but the throttle body and inlet manifold are all bog stock. You can also use the ford exhaust manifold - I've done it. Going to a zetec doesn't have to be a terrble expense - it's just the caterham boys that insist it does.

scoobyis2cool

posted on 14/7/04 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
Milleniumtree, thanks for that, I have emailed them to find out some costs etc, is it a completely new engine developed by them or a development of an existing engine? Looks interesting anyway

MK-Ninja, although a bike engine would be good I think it would be quite costly for me to upgrade since I would have to get an engine cradle welded into my chassis and also get a new propshaft. Also I don't really understand bike engines so I'd rather stick with a car engine if possible! (maybe i'm just a chicken!)

Protofj, I realise I could get 150bhp out of a pinto but really i want the option to get more at a later date, which would be costly with a pinto.

Zilspeed, that looks intersting, do you know if the person in question had any difficulty with the positioning of the steering shaft? i think this would be the main issue, I suppose there might be a way of adding another joint into it to get it to miss the injection system? Do you have a website or link to any more pics of this engine?

Thanks for all the replies, got a few things to think about now. Anyway, I suppose i'd better get my pinto up and running before I get ahead of myself!

Pete

ned

posted on 14/7/04 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
I'd strongly consider a nissan 200sx 1.8turbo engine if I weren't going the vauxhall route....

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

scoobyis2cool

posted on 14/7/04 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
I'd strongly consider a nissan 200sx 1.8turbo engine if I weren't going the vauxhall route....

Ned.

Will this engine fit into an indy without modifications? Also, is it possible to get cheap donors? i would've thought this would be a fairly expensive route to take

Is there any particular age i should be looking out for? Did all 200SXs come with the same engine or did they change it half way through it's life like loads of manufacturers seem to do?

Pete

[Edited on 14/7/04 by scoobyis2cool]

ned

posted on 14/7/04 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Pete,

I'm afriad I never researched it that much. I saw an engine on ebay that wasn't that expensive. You could use the donor gearbox which would be easier than an adapter to the ford box. It was rwd to start with, so no probs with baffling sump etc.

Don't know how well it fits; someone on here did start a build using this engine but abandoned it because of the electrics I think. I'll see if I can remember who it was...

I have heard it'll tune to 240bhp on standard engine internals though..

Ned.

edit:
gjn200 was going to put one in an avon, maybe worth asking him. The engine code was ca18det and it was 175bhp standard I believe.

edit again:
this one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10402&item=2484241744&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW also read somewhere else that it is physically smaller than a pinto..

[Edited on 14/7/04 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

craig1410

posted on 14/7/04 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure I read somewhere that a Rover V8 will fit in an Indy. It will certainly give you between 155 and 200 BHP without much effort and have the lovely V8 soundtrack to boot!

Cheers,
Craig.

stressy

posted on 14/7/04 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to have a standard engine to go on with and update later why not look at the rover K. you can keep the ecu and injection system as standard initially and its actually quite low in height with respect to the top of the head. Its also extremely light.
andyps

posted on 14/7/04 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stressy
If you want to have a standard engine to go on with and update later why not look at the rover K. you can keep the ecu and injection system as standard initially and its actually quite low in height with respect to the top of the head. Its also extremely light.

Wow - someone brave enough to mention the K series on here again!

Actually, it would be one of my suggestions. A nice light engine, not too big, some have over 150bhp as standard, potential for over 200 bhp (at expense) and OK as long as the thermostat is modified to prevent head gasket failure.

Also Neds suggestion is a good one. The cheapest way to get one would probably be to get a complete car from an auction. Easily available for under £500 which would give everything you might need.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

MK7

posted on 14/7/04 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I quite like the sound of the K series, especially if I can get one in 150 BHP spec as standard, I can't be ars*d with all the fiddling about, I'd rather just drive it.

I've currently got 1 1.8 Pinto in mine so I might even be up for your old 2 litre Pinto if it's going begging

MK7

scoobyis2cool

posted on 14/7/04 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK7

I might even be up for your old 2 litre Pinto if it's going begging

MK7

Well it won't be up for grabs quite yet, I haven't even got my car on the road yet!

As pintos go it's a pretty good one, the guy who owned the sierra bought it as a reconditioned unit from Ford about 3 years ago and it's covered less than 20k miles.

When I do decide to get rid of it i'll put it in the for sale section

Pete

paulbeyer

posted on 14/7/04 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Dont forget the nice little Toyota engines either. How about 20 valves or throttle bodies as standard or super chargers? mmmmm

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

robinbastd

posted on 14/7/04 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulbeyer
Dont forget the nice little Toyota engines either. How about 20 valves or throttle bodies as standard or super chargers? mmmmm

I'd buy one for a dollar
If the truth be known I spent a little bit more than that.

[Edited on 14/7/04 by robinbastd]

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

scoobyis2cool

posted on 15/7/04 at 02:20 AM Reply With Quote
The 200SX engine looks pretty good, 170bhp out of the box would be nice.

Found a couple of comments regarding difficult wiring and possible troubles keeping it cool, anyone had experience of either of these issues?

Pete

andyps

posted on 15/7/04 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK7
I quite like the sound of the K series, especially if I can get one in 150 BHP spec as standard, I can't be ars*d with all the fiddling about, I'd rather just drive it.
MK7

You need one of the VVC engines - about 160 bhp I think from those, but for higher power it can be as cheap to start without the VVC as it gets dumped anyway.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

DaveFJ

posted on 15/7/04 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Personally my current intention is to use my Pinto to get up and running - much like yourself but future plans include the ability to legimately put a cosworth badge on the back....

being the same block as the pinto i think is possibly the easiest (although expensive) option...

Plus of course i can't help but admire Hicost's machine...

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

stressy

posted on 15/7/04 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Scooby,
what sort of budget are we actually talking about????

garage19

posted on 15/7/04 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
If you are on a real budget but hanker turbo power try a Nissan Sylvia engine and box.

Basically an 8 valve 200sx lump but whole cars can be usually had for less than £50 out of your local free ads!

James

posted on 15/7/04 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
If you're keen on having lots of them:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10402&item=2484373333&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

James

scoobyis2cool

posted on 15/7/04 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stressy
Scooby,
what sort of budget are we actually talking about????

Well at the moment i haven't really set a budget, i guess it's a case of finding an engine i really like and then saving up until I can afford to do it! Obviously I'd like to keep costs to a minimum but not at the expense of quality or performance.

How's that for an answer? i should be a politician...

Pete

[Edited on 15/7/04 by scoobyis2cool]

scoobyis2cool

posted on 15/7/04 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by protofj
Personally my current intention is to use my Pinto to get up and running - much like yourself but future plans include the ability to legimately put a cosworth badge on the back....

being the same block as the pinto i think is possibly the easiest (although expensive) option...

Plus of course i can't help but admire Hicost's machine...

Cosworth would be very nice indeed! How much do you think it will cost for a complete installation? How much power are you expecting?

Pete

craig1410

posted on 15/7/04 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
One thing to bear in mind is that big power usually means big heat and extra stress on drivetrain and brakes so try to make sure that you keep your eye open for some of the parts you will need to support a more exotic engine as soon as possible in your build. Ideally try to build these in to your initial design to avoid any unnecessary rework later.

The things I'm thinking about mainly are the radiator, braking system, diff, propshaft, gearbox, driveshafts etc etc.

[Just looked at your initial post - Maybe you are a bit too far on with your build to make much of my comments above but you can still look out for any performance parts that you might need. Ebay is always a great source of stuff you don't need right away so don't wait until you DO need it ]

Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 15/7/2004 by craig1410]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.