Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hearses
James

posted on 3/7/03 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hearses

Weird question I know but was stuck in traffic today next to a hearse.

I was wondering if they're made by the car manufacturers themselves in 'stretch' from (this one was a Volvo but I've seen Granadas etc.) or are they made by a third party company that buys in estate cars and adds a section in the middle.

I can't believe the market is large enough that the big car manufacturers would bother.

Cheers for helping my morbid interest,

James

ned

posted on 3/7/03 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
i was always of the opinion that thrid party 'coach builder' companies build them. ford would not be interested, they wouldn't sell enough!!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Findlay234

posted on 3/7/03 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
i believe they are made by a 3rd party, not quite just buying an estate then adding in a section i think its a little more involved than that. There was a guy at my school whos dad used to make hearses and limo's that way. he'd buy old cars and make them, classic limos as opposed to the white big trash wagons they have these days.
ned

posted on 3/7/03 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
http://www.hearseclub.co.uk/index.php

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 3/7/03 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Do they cut a bit out of another car and weld it into the stretch car then end up with a load of fronts and rears. They could make some short Granadas as well. Put it in google and you'll probably find thousands. Coachbuilders do them but they don't seem to publicise that part of the business. You'd probably be put off buying a bus off them if they were displayed nex to a hearse. (I want to go quietly in my sleep like Uncle Jim, not screaming and yelling like his passengers!!!)

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

kingr

posted on 3/7/03 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
^ Freak alert
l Freak alert
l Freak alert
l Freak alert

Those are some severly weird people, I've seen them on TV and they're all strange.

Kingr

P.s. no prejudice here.

kingr

posted on 3/7/03 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
ooops, you beat me to it, I didn't mean you petef

Kingr

Simon

posted on 3/7/03 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Many, many, many years ago, a friend who was going to look at a V8 Transit in Harrow on the Hill phoned the owner from the train station to get him to collect us.

What'll you be driving? we asked.

Owner said "You'll know it's me!"

Great we thought. Something interesting.

Hearse turned up.

Fantastic

ATB

Simon

timf

posted on 3/7/03 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
freind had a herse as his daily drive complete with coffin in the back

for some reason he never got parking tickets and no girl wanted to go in it.
now that was very very strange

ned

posted on 3/7/03 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
the no parking ticket thing is quite cool!!

Ned.

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/7/03 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
sad about all that flat area in the back tho....and no babe wants to go in it.

Perhaps some kinda gothic gf would be best, or that Elvira movie woman.

The main mfrs dont make hearses cos the market is dead.

someone had to say it.

RIP

Steve

auzziejim

posted on 3/7/03 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
i saw in custom car mag a fair few years ago a hearse with hydralic suspension, stripped out interior and some stupidly powerful engine. now that was a sight to behold when doing Donuts, LOL

Cheers

James

Viper

posted on 3/7/03 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Some years back me and a mate bought a Daimler Hearse (bloody great V8) went like the clappers, had a cofin in the back got nicked in it for breach of the peace down the kings road for sitting up in the coffin at traffic lights......bloody good fun though

ned

posted on 3/7/03 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
breach of the peace as in RIP?!!!

Ned.

Viper

posted on 3/7/03 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
i think they thought i was taking the peace.......

Spyderman

posted on 3/7/03 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
Jaguar do build their own Limo's. Or did a few years back.
I remember going on a tour of the factory and there was a separate department for the Limo's construction.
Admittedly most of them were for Royalty and dignitaries!

Terry

Spyderman

Alan B

posted on 3/7/03 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
Coleman Milne are the guys........

http://www.coleman-milne.co.uk/

May be others, but these are well known.

Viper

posted on 3/7/03 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Tickford have been known to stretch a few luxury cars too

timf

posted on 3/7/03 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Viper

but then they also did the capri

Viper

posted on 3/7/03 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timf
quote:
Originally posted by Viper

but then they also did the capri

Your Point?

timf

posted on 3/7/03 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
until the ticford capri they were taken very serously as coach builders then ford (the new owners) made them produce a limited edition run of the capri. the tickford capri was a very good car ( i know i had one) mainly due to the ammount of chassis work that happened, but the quality wasn't quite there after that they sort of lost credability.

but then ford had the body shells of the rs200 made at the plastic pig factory and that was a good car.

Peteff

posted on 3/7/03 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't mean you petef

Are you calling me normal, It's got two f's?. To continue the Capri etc. thread, a firm called Crayford used to make convertibles out of just about everything including Capri, Cavalier and mk2 Cortinas. They used to bend in the middle though.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Noodle

posted on 4/7/03 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spyderman
Jaguar do build their own Limo's. Or did a few years back.
I remember going on a tour of the factory and there was a separate department for the Limo's construction.
Admittedly most of them were for Royalty and dignitaries!

Terry

I worked at the company who pressed and welded various chassis including Range Rover etc about 15 years ago, and I was tasked with digging out the Daimler chassis press tools as some elongated monstrosity was being prepared for HM Liz or other member of her clan. The vehicle was to be factory built.

Neil

Mark Allanson

posted on 4/7/03 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have a coleman milne stuck on my ramp at the moment, both sills are riddled with rust. I have ordered scorpio sills to repair them, but the rear section of the sill is hand fabricated. the sill has a top section welded in and then the upper (hearse bit) GRP section is bonded and riveted to the sill box section. It gives us a bit of a problem, due to the flamability of the upper structure, when welding the upper inner sill, we had smoke coming up through the rollers that stop the coffin sliding about when cornering hard (!!).

We resorted to using 3M structural adhesive on the upper parts and welding the rest. In the mean time, the poor funeral director is stacking up coffins until we get the job done!

Apparently Volvo and Mercedes are making hearses off the shelf, so to speak, so perhaps CM's times are numbered

Dick Axtell

posted on 8/7/03 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hearses & Stretched Limos

Does anyone know if the dvla consider these to be "radically altered" vehicles??
As far as I'm concerned, if you have to extend the sills/insert an extra section in the body, that definitely a "radical" mod. So how come these vehicles manage to dodge the SVA test? Have also noted that all our local (S/B'ham) funeral cars have "personalised" reg. no. plates. I reckon that newly bought & registered vehicles are altered after purchase.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.