Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Targetting Speed traps
Sideways 2 Victory

posted on 18/9/03 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Targetting Speed traps

One of my colleagues brought a cuttting from Scottish newspaper to work with this story:

2 Coppers are busy zapping away with their Radar gun on the A90 - stangely a speeding van they clock causes the radar gun to give a 300mph + reading.

Strange indeed? Then their equipment goes into error mode, locks solid and refuses to work, so they give up and return to base to investigate.

As it turns out thier radar signal had been picked up by a Dutch Nato warplane excercising over the North sea. The Dutch plane detected an "unfriendly" radar, promptly jammed the polices radar signal, and automatically locked on to the target and armed a missile!

Pilot declined to fire! Damn!

Police were later advised to point radar guns inland in future!

ATB

Dave

[Edited on 18/9/03 by Sideways 2 Victory]

www.nurburgring.org

ned

posted on 18/9/03 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
would have made for an interesting headline...

"nato bombs uk police in speedtrap radar mixup" !!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 18/9/03 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Dave,

I heard a similar story to this a few years ago, and believed it to be one of those great Urban Myths.

Even if it is, it's still amusing!!

ATB

Simon

stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/9/03 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
a better headline would be

'tornado blows cops away'

atb

steve

Mark H

posted on 18/9/03 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
It would certainly make them think twice about pointing the radar.

They really are a bunch of b@st@rds, who should be out nicking real crims. I used to have a lot of respect for the law, but now they can kiss my @rse.

Thanks for listening.

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/9/03 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
well, thats 2 of us Mark. But then there was that nice copper a couple months ago that let me off.

Thing is, in bucks and northants, they keep reducing speed limits with no warnign at all!!!

In the last 2 months, my 30 miles to work has had 2 60 zones drop to 40, and 2 40 drop to 30.

Not a bloody single 'new speed limit applies' sign.

total utter complete bastards.

flyingkiwi

posted on 18/9/03 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
One of our Sea harriers did that just up from Lincon, saw a couple of copper's in a speed trap and zapped their gun with the radar. The pilot then got a bollocking for buzzing them at 30 odd foot.

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

Metal Hippy

posted on 18/9/03 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
That's the first I've heard, I'd have thought I'd have seen that in The Lincolnshire Echo....

May have missed it of course...

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

timf

posted on 18/9/03 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
shame they didn't test the VTOL when they were there.
flyingkiwi

posted on 18/9/03 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
We've got a great video of it at work, and some quality recon photo's of them too.

you must have missed it

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

Viper

posted on 18/9/03 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
somebody stole a speed camera in Milton Keynes it's all over the frony page of the local rag

turns out they nicked two cameras

[Edited on 18/9/2003 by Viper]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/9/03 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
which one viper?

the one on old wolverton road needs to go.....the road is 30 one end (by double r'bout) and 40 from the opposite direction from canal!!!!

figure that

atb

steve

Viper

posted on 18/9/03 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Both were in Bletchley

chrisg

posted on 18/9/03 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
The Coppers round here are the kings of the euphamism!!

The van they use for the super sneaky speed traps has "Safety camera Partnership" on the sides and(wait for it)

"Casualty Reduction Vehicle" on the front

I saw it cause an accident three weeks ago!!

Guy in front sees sneaky camera van brakes very hard - Guy behind fails to see sneaky camera van and hits guy no.1 straight up the chuff!!

Bloke behind gets out covered in blood and snot - so much for casualty reduction!

I think people would have more respect for them if they were honest.

Police Revenue Raising Van

That might do it!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 18/9/03 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
i have seen one cause an accident at a junction too.

the guy in the van just sat there.

tossers

atb

steve

Jon Ison

posted on 18/9/03 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
we had one parked totaly "ilegally" again at btm of our road, if they have a photo of me i'm afraid it will include sir Winston type gesture too...........

park them outside as many schools as they like, i 100% agree with that, but not hid away in "the best spot" to catch people, we all know the places, just as you exit a 30mph zone, just behind the 1 tree on a 30mph totaly unpopulated road thats as straight as a die..........

burn the lot

Noodle

posted on 19/9/03 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
For what it's worth, I was walking (note: walking, my kids have legs) the kids to school recently and was talking to the dad of another kid about work and stuff. He's got a doctorate in something clever, forget what though. I told him of a video project I was working on for myself to read data from throttle sensors and speedo's etc. He then tells me that he's working on something similar for his emloyers: Qinetic. They were formerly known as DERA and are the privatised government military R&D company.

They're working on a black-box system for all cars, to record data from journeys because the government tell them it'll be mandatory fitment by 2010. We didn't go into details about what data will be captured, but it doesn't take a genius to see what could be recorded: Speed, journey from, to and route, times etc.

Give it a couple of years for the hullaballoo to die down, then at each MOT your data could be downloaded and fines placed accordingly.

How lovely!

Cheers,

Neil

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/9/03 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noodle
For what it's worth, I was walking (note: walking, my kids have legs) the kids to school recently and was talking to the dad of another kid about work and stuff. He's got a doctorate in something clever, forget what though. I told him of a video project I was working on for myself to read data from throttle sensors and speedo's etc. He then tells me that he's working on something similar for his emloyers: Qinetic. They were formerly known as DERA and are the privatised government military R&D company.

They're working on a black-box system for all cars, to record data from journeys because the government tell them it'll be mandatory fitment by 2010. We didn't go into details about what data will be captured, but it doesn't take a genius to see what could be recorded: Speed, journey from, to and route, times etc.

Give it a couple of years for the hullaballoo to die down, then at each MOT your data could be downloaded and fines placed accordingly.

How lovely!

Cheers,

Neil

just remember, you have a vote. one or two percent less tax isnt always a good reason to vote - labour are bringing in a nanny state. Do you value your freedoms.

I note that you walk your kids. Mine go to school 8 miles away as the school was better for my kids needs. I think people have a given right to drive where and when they want. If I want to drive my kids 50 miles a day, I have, and should retain that right.

Global warming. What is that?

300 years ago, the thames used to freeze over. 20000 years ago, wolly mammoths walked the ice age.

I blame all the cavemen for global warming. They got rid of the ice. Bastards must have taken their kids to school by car.

London traffic in 1650 must have cause the ice on the thames to stop.

Or is it just the natural cycle of the earth?

atb

steve

PS

anyone that thinks im not being 'green' - no one on this list is.

We are building cars, without catalysts, for FUN.

FUN! Uneccessary use of a car. Bet its your second one as well. How green is that

another BTW :

anyone noticed all those loops appearing on our roads under the tarmac with blue posts beside the road.

I think these are traffic sensors to check road traffic movement. I bet they are capable of detecting 'tags' moving over them. Such technology ecists in french toll roads already......

[Edited on 19/9/03 by stephen_gusterson]

Noodle

posted on 19/9/03 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
OK, OK. I was getting my irritation with my neighbours off my chest. They're just lazy b4stards. It's not the global warming crap that bugs me, it's just the fact that the roads are blocked for everyone because the (local to school) people can't be arsed to walk. I set off at the same time as woman opposite and get there the same time. Man does she need to lose weight!

When at school, we were taught that the earth's climate went in cycles and intermediate cycles and we were currently on the up for temperatures following the planet's natural rhythms. A couple of years later, the global warming stuff blew up. I've only ever heard one person re-iterate this in the media and he was vilified. In fact, he may have been strung up and burnt. I'm sure I could hear a chant of "Witch!". A sensible, non poilitcal/emotional discussion on the whole issue would be nice. But it's not going to happen.

Funny how drunken discussions with my friends and peers always seems to end up with us deciding to declare an independant state.

Cheers,

Neil.

JoelP

posted on 19/9/03 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Ah global warming! My favourite subject...!

We probably aren't sole cause, but i doubt we're helping things.

There is a documented increase in CO2 in the atmosphere, (from ice cores...), but there
is no proven link to warm summers etc.

I would be a lot more worried about the sea warming up, cos that can adversly affect
how it stores dissolved gas. One mass extinction was caused by this, triggered by
volcanoes (theoretically i know..!).

And as a final penny to throw in, even if it was completely natural that doesn't necessarily make it a cycle. Theres no guarantee it is in equilibrium. Like a boat it may rock so far and recover, or it may capsise and sink.

THE END.

as a PS, how damn foolish is it to plumb geothermal energy from the core?! dammit, what possible good can come
from cooling it down! theres many good sources of energy without being that short sighted.

[Edited on 19/9/03 by JoelP]

andyps

posted on 19/9/03 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
back to the original post - I want to know where to buy the kit that jams the radar gun

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

stephen_gusterson

posted on 19/9/03 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
british aerospace or general dynamics?

Noodle : I agree,,,,,,my school also told me of cyclic temperatures.

This summer was hot, global warming im told.

If it was a crap cold one, guess what would have caused it......

I think reducing emssions and stuff is a good idea. I just think there are two many wolly jumpered greens that think EVERYTHING is global warming.

Apparently, the world used to be really hot and be one mass of land. Its got cooler and the land has seperated and the UK is surrounded by water, all on its own. In a few million years our coastline will change beyond recongition.

what am i gonna tell my great great great.........great grandkids - that I sat here, knowing that, and did nothing.

can you imagine if frozen food came out tomorrow ,,,,,, it would be banned cos freezing damages atomic structure.

atb

steve

Jon Ison

posted on 19/9/03 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
CBA to read any of the above, that bloody pic makes me scroll side to side,

JoelP

posted on 19/9/03 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
i've just spent all of 5 mins rereading the post to work out what you ment! but then guessed CBA means cant b arsed, and it all made sense! Was a bloody large pic, i did my post above with loads of new lines in it to keep it on one page, and then it started a new page anyway so i'd wasted my effort!

Hey fletch, ever been to south africa?! my mate came back calling every one 'kafers', though maybe it was more keffers with the accent! apparently it a racial expletive over there...

thekafer

posted on 19/9/03 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
ooops!

Hey,
Sorry for the huge pic!!My bad!!

I got worked up into one of my right wing rants!I was going for the "speed trap by mandate" metaphor

I'll dial any more attachments back a few notches..

I cant help it,just one more...Global warming my @ss!!!

By the way the kafer refers to my love for V.W.'s(dear god, I really need help)

It's not a racial slur here(although I have been called everything but a white guy)I dont think.

lovely stuff indeed those speed trap sataliting b@st@rds!!

Fletch

[Edited on 20/9/03 by thekafer]

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.