Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Inner CV boot replacement
bi22le

posted on 1/10/23 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Inner CV boot replacement

I'm struggling to work out how to take the pet case of to reduce the diameter allowing me to put a replacement boot on.

I can't see any circlips unless it's buried in the remaining grease.

The universal boots look shite, especially the split ones.

HELP!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

adithorp

posted on 1/10/23 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Drive shaft origin might help?
?

Split boots are suited though. Stretch ones are OK but you need a fittingcone and lots of silicone spray or borrow a boot stretcher.

nick205

posted on 1/10/23 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a Sierra driveshaft these might help. I rebuilt mine with OEM ovehaul kits.

Fiddly bit was holding it together whilst peening the new metal boot closed. I did inner and outer boots on both sides. Once done and fitted they never leaked or gave any issue. Like you I'm not a fan of stretchy boots and certainly no split boots.

I got the OEM overhail kits from my local Ford main dealer's parts counter. Mega helpful guy working there at the time, with a real interest in kit cars.

adithorp

posted on 1/10/23 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
The boot kits are no longer available from Ford last time I asked (when I used my last spare one). If you cant find old stock somewhere, you'll have to very carefully un-pein the can and reuse it.
bi22le

posted on 1/10/23 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
See this is what it looks like to me, the outer shell is peened on.

What a bitch.

I'll see if I can stretch a universal boot over I think. It hurts me to say that though

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

nick205

posted on 2/10/23 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
Might be your best bet if you can't find any new old stock overhaul kits. Un peining and re peining will be a nightmare and I'd not fancy the chance of high reliability afterwards either. The metal of the can isn't very forgiving.
Mr Whippy

posted on 2/10/23 at 07:27 AM Reply With Quote
Use a stretch boot kit, basically a large cone you pull a special boot over the joint (don't try it with an normal boot). I won't say it's a doddle as I still struggled to stretch the boot that much especially as there is grease everywhere but it does work, I heated the boot up first in boiling water to soften it.

Don't let your neighbors see you as it all looks very kinky!

[Edited on 2/10/23 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 2/10/23 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
I bought the last boots from my local ford years ago and i'm certainly not selling them. They are rocking horse poo.

Their is a similar component on another car that fits but its a slightly larger OD. I do keep trying to find it but never succeed. I think its VW.

adithorp

posted on 2/10/23 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Use a stretch boot kit, basically a large cone you pull a special boot over the joint (don't try it with an normal boot). I won't say it's a doddle as I still struggled to stretch the boot that much especially as there is grease everywhere but it does work, I heated the boot up first in boiling water to soften it.

Don't let your neighbors see you as it all looks very kinky!

[Edited on 2/10/23 by Mr Whippy]

That might look kinky but the proper tool is scary...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/314378689182?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=dp1D1dQsQPy&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=jvzsexmirua &var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

nick205

posted on 3/10/23 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Should add, when I say I got the OEM overhaul kits from my local Ford main dealer's parts counter, that was nearly 20 ago!

The Ford main dealer is long since gone - a Wickes builders merchant now.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.