Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Idle speed issues
omega 24 v6

posted on 14/3/10 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
An idea MIGHT be to get it running and at its idle position and then smear some thick grease/vaseline round the barrel/opening ( without moving the rollers).
Then start it and see if the idle is lower ( or if it idles at all). This could possibly eliminate your concern at the roller to body clearances.
If it sucks the grease in then the clearances must be substantial I'd have thought.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

Hellfire

posted on 14/3/10 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Does it have a MAF sensor fitted and if so, have you tried cleaning it?

Phil

beaver34

posted on 14/3/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
I have just been speaking to a very knowledgable chap at Track n Race down in London who has given me a few pointers and things that I should try before going too far.

First I am going to have the throttle bodies off and see if I can see anything obvious. Maybe the seals arent sitting right, but I think it would have to be all 4 of them as they all show the same airflow on the synchro.

If that doesnt do anything then its back to playing with the map. The best suggestion at the moment seems to be to run a lot less ignition advance at idle (even as low as 0 degrees is OK at idle which suprised me) to bring the idle speed down. The concern at the moment is that the idle speed is 1300rpm even though its running massively rich (11.5 AFR) and with the theoretically correct advance (10 deg).

track and road? if so they are the people who map my cars fantastic guys and i dont really think anyone knows better than them, they do the mapping for ford

flak monkey

posted on 14/3/10 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Stripped everything down on the intake side, made sure everything was super clean and reassembled it all. Now have a hunting idle (800-1200rpm) which indicates to me I have an air leak somewhere It could have been that I started off with a substantial air leak causing the idle to be so high.

It now also revs a lot better without really changing anything else, so I might be heading in the right direction.

Its still all off at the moment, think I will smear some hylomar on the seals for the throttle bodies when I reassemble everything and see if that helps. Been on and off twice, both times with the same result.

PS yes I meant Track n Road... they also told me not to bother with megasquirt - and gave several good reasons. But as I already have it I'll stick with it for at least this year.

[Edited on 14/3/10 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

fatbaldbloke

posted on 14/3/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

they also told me not to bother with megasquirt - and gave several good reasons

I'd be interested in a summary of their reasons. I've been very successful with Megasquirt, especially taking into account the cost, but I haven't really any experience with anything else against which to compare.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.