Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 5 evenings work + 1 tig welder = pround Nat!!!!

posted on 14/5/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
quote:
...Nat, top job.

yea and the rest... i think thats bloody brilliant, i think you should do a how too course in ya garage £25 for a days course

how about it??

PS i have a doner vehicle

Learn How To Weld A Car For £250

I'll get mi coat

NS Dev

posted on 14/5/06 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Really neat and tidy, hours of pleasure doing that.

Please can you let me know the order that you approached the construction, i.e. which parts you made first and the order of assembly ?

Cheers Mark

You've hit the nail on the head there Mark, the order of assembly is the key, as is a good belt linisher and an abrasive chop saw!!

Basically, trick number one is make the longest pipe first, then put loops in the others the get the lengths equal.

trick number two is to get pairs of 30 degree bends made, to make the tubular collectors from. Cut the bends acrossways and lengthways in such a way as you can weld them together to form the collector. weld the centre of the join together from inside the collector, pref with back gas on the outside (thanks Paul G!!) and then weld the edge parts from the outside. The Simpson exhausts website has some good pics of welded collectors to get ideas from!!

On my manifold, pipes 1-4 are the same length as are 2-3, but there's a slight difference between the two. I thought this a problem but then I measured some race manifolds and found them just the same! It will spread the torque a bit anyway and the main extraction is from 1-4 and 2-3 anyway.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Danozeman

posted on 14/5/06 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
NIce job there mate... Looks better than alot of the pro jobbies!!!!

Shame i bought my manifold.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

andylancaster3000

posted on 14/5/06 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Edit on my first post on this thread, so now I don't look like a goon!
the_fbi

posted on 14/5/06 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
I bought the new TIG that I have been rattling on about for £525 9 days ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Seems a good price, what did you get, from where?
And that included the torch, leads, regulator etc?

Stunning job btw, better than the one on my Megablade wich was either KCW or Westfields attempt.

flak monkey

posted on 14/5/06 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Mmmm nice work Nat

Amazing what a bit of time, patience and practice can acheive!

Keep up the good work.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

MikeR

posted on 14/5/06 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'd just like to say having seen it, its not that nice, in fact its rather poor. Personally i think you'd be better off going to a professional to get one.

Right, thats the queue of people wanting an exhaust sorted out. Nat, seeing as you're not too busy, any chance of sorting me out an exhaust so i can stop p*ssing about with flywheels and starter motors?

Lawnmower

posted on 14/5/06 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good!

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Really neat and tidy, hours of pleasure doing that.

Please can you let me know the order that you approached the construction, i.e. which parts you made first and the order of assembly ?

Cheers Mark

keith tanner's book on building a seven type car with an mx5 doner has a chapter on this as well.

l

Peteff

posted on 14/5/06 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
What's pround?

Nice job Nat Wait till you get the hang of it, there'll be no stopping you.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Fred W B

posted on 14/5/06 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
Very nice piece of work Nat - Seems you are going to have to give up the day job now.

You have convinced me I'm going to have to buy an inverter sooner or later.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 14/5/06 by Fred W B]

bob

posted on 14/5/06 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Nat

Very impressive work as is the rest of your build,you should be proud too

Simon

posted on 14/5/06 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Simon, when you TIG ally (well, when I tig ally!) how do I stop the filler rod melting due to proximity to the arc, while still keeping it in the gas between dips!!????

I've been playing but it seems that I keep balling up the end of the filler rod and it gets black scum on it between dips, which buggers up the weld.

Any pointers??

Ask someone who knows what they're doing My ally welding is limited to about two feet so far Though I had another go today and had much better results than last time. I watched what was happening() and just fed in the rod as quikly as it needed it. The other thing to bear in mind (re ally) is that the stuff I've been welding is quite thick (plenum). Gonna try some thin stuff this week. Need to make a boot

ATB

Simon

Phil. S

posted on 14/5/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think the manifold on my XE is the original manifold modified for rear wheel drive, so not that great. I'd definitely be interested in one of yours when you have time, and if you have the inclination. I just love bonnet exit manifolds, and your looks superb!

"The unexamined life is not worth living" (Socrates)
"The unlived life is not worth examining" (Kopp)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 14/5/06 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Phil!

Now at least I know what bends I need for an XE manifold now! To be honest not that many. Think there were about 14 used in total (I bought 27!!)

If you haven't bought one from elsewhere by the time I have some time to spare I'll look into doing one for you!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

wildchild

posted on 15/5/06 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
pretty damn good.

hmm, time to start saving for a tig setup...

muzchap

posted on 15/5/06 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Nice work Nat

I just got my exhaust on as well - looks like we're pretty even on the build

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!
------------------------------------

ned

posted on 15/5/06 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
good job nat, wish i had the time and space to get the kit and learn myself - guess i'm too impatient!

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Phil. S

posted on 15/5/06 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
If you haven't bought one from elsewhere by the time I have some time to spare I'll look into doing one for you!

Cheers. Just let me know when you are ready.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" (Socrates)
"The unlived life is not worth examining" (Kopp)

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.