Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine choices?
MikeRJ

posted on 15/10/08 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morgan
Only thing with the xe is cant find that many, anyone got any ideas of what cars the came in as standard

Mk2 Astra GTE 1988-1992
Mk3 Astra GSi 1991-1994
Mk3 Cavalier Sri 1992-1994 (I think, Nat will know for sure)
Mk3 Cavalier GSi 1988-1995 (including GSi 4x4)
Calibra 16v 1989-1994

The Cavalier and Calibra Turbo had a turbocharged version of the C20XE, the engine code is C20LET.

Make sure you don't confuse the C20XE with the later Ecotec (X20XEV) which was fitted into the later Astra, Calibra and Cavalier. It's is not a bad engine, but not in the same league as the C20XE.

They are very strong engines, my Astra GTE had nearly 150k of hard driven miles on it when I got rid, and the engine was perfect, shame the bodywork dissolved as fast as I could weld patches on! Many of them tend to be a bit noisy from the top end due to sticking followers, but it's not a big problem.

[Edited on 15/10/08 by MikeRJ]

NS Dev

posted on 15/10/08 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
there is 1 22mm water outlet on the rear of the cyl head as std on the XE but you don't need it, and its normally just blocked off with a core plug knocked in after pulling out the pressed in water outlet.

its useful if you want to run a heater though (although I don't and have it blocked off)

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 15/10/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
as mikeRJ says, bulletproof engine.

Weak points that need dealing with are:

1) fit better conrod bolts if you are raising the rev limit, which most do. Std bolts are regarded as safe to only 6500rpm, after uprating, the rods become the weak point and opinions vary as to safe max revs, I stick to 7750, some rev to 8000 and have no probs.

2) while its apart for the above, change the big end bearings, they are generally past it by 100,000 miles, oddly though the main bearings stay perfect though and oil pressure never drops

3) followers, as Mike said, tend to get blocked up and rattle, but are cheap to change if needs be, and to be honest usually clear after an oil change or two.

[Edited on 15/10/08 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

DarrenW

posted on 15/10/08 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
For my money id be looking at Zetec or XE. XE will probs release more power for same cash if you can get one in good condition to start with.

Havent looked at the others so cant comment. Saab lumps seem to be very potent but dont know what they cost all in.

I so wish id built mine with 16V from the start.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.