Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DVLA Radically Altered Vehicle Route
John Bonnett

posted on 25/6/23 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA Radically Altered Vehicle Route

As some of you will know, I am scratch building a body to fit to a Reliant Kitten chassis. I am hoping to take the DVLA Radically Altered Vehicle route which, if it qualifies for the mandatory 8 points, will retain the identity of the Kitten and i shall be able to choose a name for it. The rules are clear and the build up report seems straightforward. However, it would be really helpful to hear from anyone who has taken this path, to learn from their experience and to know if there is an inspection.

Thank you,

John

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/6/23 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Very surprised tbh, unless you've altered the original chassis I'd not have involved the DVLA at all. I thought the whole point in using the Reliant chassis was to avoid all their BS since it was "just" a body swap. Oh well that will be fun for you...hopefully you'll manage to stay away from an IVA.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 26/6/23 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Hi John,

Can't answer your questions (not been down that road).

Worth talking to the DVLA themselves on the phone (anonymously) to establish what's necessary?

Don't ask me for a number though or department though. If you know your local IVA test centre could you contact them direct?

John Bonnett

posted on 26/6/23 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you both for your replies.

Doing nothing is certainly one option providing a full disclosure is made to the Insurers but the RAV route seems straightforward and without doubt the correct way to go.

Unfortunately, all the local DVLA offices were closed some years ago.

rusty nuts

posted on 26/6/23 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Might be worth a trip to your local IVA center taking all of your build pictures and having a chat?
Mr Whippy

posted on 26/6/23 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
Thank you both for your replies.

Doing nothing is certainly one option providing a full disclosure is made to the Insurers but the RAV route seems straightforward and without doubt the correct way to go.

Unfortunately, all the local DVLA offices were closed some years ago.

Just reminds me of all the hassle with forms and a police visit with my beach buggy which was again a body swap. In the end it was still called a Beetle not a beach buggy as I asked and did that make any difference with the insurance or anything else? nope, just did the usual and sent pictures to them and it was done. So what was gained in involving the DVLA, zero.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 26/6/23 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Might be worth a trip to your local IVA center taking all of your build pictures and having a chat?

This was what I had in mind.

(aware that local DVLA office are a thing of the past)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.