Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: word of advice for those of you who have access to lathes
chris.russell

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
word of advice for those of you who have access to lathes

as the subject says this only concerns hose who us lathes.

i started making the front wishbones out of stainless steel last wednesday, the jig was complete and i was polishing the tube prier to welding with emery paper.

just as i was completing the last section of tube the emery became snagged on the tube dragging my fingers into the lathe (spinning at 770 rpm) causing me to loose most of my little and ring fingers on my right hand.

after an emergancy operation my hand was sown up but without the two bits as they were in a right mess.

remember when using rotating machinery that there is always a danger and no matter how many years you have been using them they can still surprize you at any time.

it will not stop me from making my locost, just delay me but a few months.

you have been warned....

P.S. more importantly as i am on antibiotics foe the next 10 days i have been ordered not to drink beer

Mines a pint

Staple balls

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
ooooh

holy sh1t..... unlucky. hope you get back in the garage/well soon.

James

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Christ!

Unlucky mate! A worthwhile word of warning...

get well soon!

James

Alan B

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Ah yes...the fingers in a rotating part deal....VERY dangerous, and sadly you have found out the hard way....VERY sorry to hear that...

So as Chris says DONT do it....

Have I ever done it?.....yes of course, but that doesn't make a sensible idea....

So guys, lets learn from this...

Chris, hope you get better soon...and thanks for sharing.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about it- I remember my teachers in CDT getting us to do this!

James

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
wow

sorry to hear that

mr staples coulda riveted them back for you....

all the best

steve

Staple balls

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
hehehehe

chris.russell

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
mr staples would be useless anyway as the tips were squashed then ripped off at the knuckle. I also managed to snap the tendions half was down the forearm so even if the finger tips were reattached they would only be a floppy mess and get in the way.

Mines a pint

David Jenkins

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
For everyone else - the correct way to do it is to glue the emery onto a flat stick, which is held against the underside of the work. If it should snatch then it is pulled away from you.

I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, as I've held emery against the work in just the same way as Chris.

Makes me ill to think of it...

Best wishes for a swift recovery,

David

Staple balls

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
that made my body squirm in strange new ways

chris.russell

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
made your body squrm! should of seen my bosses face when i walked into his office. told him to get a first aider and when he asked why i showed him. never seen a grown man go white that quickly!

Mines a pint

Hugh Paterson

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch heres to a speedy recovery, just as bad as getting smacked in the heid with the chuck key
Shug.

Staple balls

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
classy

chris.russell

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Won't even go into having my overalls ripped off and entangled in the chuck.... thats another story....

Mines a pint

stephen_gusterson

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
wow

heard of ripped tendons like that before.

respect. dunno how id react. Bit like the old joke - how ya gonna say goodnight to the boss now?

atb

steve

Hugh Paterson

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, at least its not wucked up yer typing mate NO missing letters
Shug.

chris.russell

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
thankfully i am left handed! capitals are a small problem though

Mines a pint

Dick Axtell

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody Ouch!!

Chris -

Like everyone, here's wishing you the speediest of recoveries. Your description sounded awful, but it could easily have been worse.
In my old apprentice school, ('bout 40+ years ago), we were shown films of industrial accidents, to warn us of dangers encountered with moving machinery. So, on reflection, could've been the whole arm!! S-s-s-s-s-sHH!!!
So your boss's face went white? Should have seen mine when I read your message.

DJ's comments re the flat stick with glued-on emery, are a timely reminder of the recommended method.
ATB
Dick

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

chris.russell

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
can't agree more, wise words. tried to get a picture taken but the girl friend refused - don't know why

Mines a pint

flak monkey

posted on 3/3/04 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Sh1t mate. Hope you get better soon.

I have polished stuff that way before as well. Ummm my grandad always told me to just support the emery under the work as its spinning and not hold onto the emery. If that makes sense...then if it grabs it it just snatches out of your hand and doesnt take your hand with it!

The safest way is obviously not to do it at all....or use the stick idea.

Anyway...hope you make a good recovery

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

madforfishing

posted on 3/3/04 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, sorry to hear of your accident.
It just reminds me of all the near misses I have had over the years. Angle grinders near the B*ll*cks, splinters in the eye (cos this job won't take 2 mins!), hairs on my fingers brushed by a compound slide saw.
I also had a college teacher who showed us pictures of what happens when you are a teenager around 1974, and you lean over a rotating lathe with your long locks. You get the 1974 equivelant of waxing. I bet that guy's eyes watered!
The college kept the lenght of bar that still had his locks attached.
Nice.
PS. Do as I say not as I do...
The same instructor was demonstrating 'the cold chisel' ...don't hold it too shallow or it'll slip...and it did right into a guy on my course's eye socket.

THAT'LL LEAVE A MARK.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 3/3/04 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Advice

quote:

For everyone else - the correct way to do it is to glue the emery onto a flat stick, which is held against the underside of the work. If it should snatch then it is pulled away from you.

David sorry to be contrary - but as a qualified risk assessor in an engineering factory there is NO CORRECT WAY of placing your hands near rotating machinery at all. My mate nearly lost his hand doing this... he lost most of his guiders from his arm and guess who was the First Aider on site?

If you do place your hands near a 12" chuck spinning at that speed (700rpm) and the wood, hand, whatever hits the outside of the chuck it is travelling in excess of 7metres/second.

Never ever use gloves or anything else near rotating equipment either, as the danger is worse!!! This guy was wearing gloves on a lathe and here's whats left. Sorry it's graphic but it certainly highlights a point!

Good luck with your recovery m8. Plus side is... I bet you dont do it again and a few more will be deterred too.

chris.russell

posted on 3/3/04 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
just like mine except further down the fingers below the second knuckle, also had about 6 mm of bone standing proud on the little finger, amazing how small my bone was.....no jokes please

Mines a pint

ned

posted on 3/3/04 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to here the gory news, best wishes for speedy recovery etc.

The worst i can remember is the chuck key hitting me on the foot (well, at least i remebered to put the safety guard down before turning on the lathe). The other time was grappling with sharp edged piece of metal that i thought better of than to clamp down to the pillar drill.

i hate wasting time, especially when you're really getting on well with something, but some safety procdeures just aren't worth shortcutting (maybe that should read all safety procdures just aren't worth shortcutting!)

ATB

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

jacko

posted on 3/3/04 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Chris sorry to hear of your accident

come on guys dont wear rings or chains when working on lathes etc

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.