Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: word of advice for those of you who have access to lathes
Graceland

posted on 3/3/04 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
done the same trick meself when polishing up billet alluminium in a lathe - leanrt my lesson, but not so harshly - feel for you as it aint nice at all having summat like that happen.

Mark Allanson

posted on 3/3/04 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if its been mentioned, but do not use flourescent lamps above a lathe, they strobe at 50hz.

I was working in an engineering works as a welder, one of the CNC lathes had a tube illumination with a electronic gizmo to prevent the strobe effect, but the little black box failed. The lathe operator went to undo a workpiece from the 2' chuck which appeared to him to be spinning at about 2rpm. he tried to stop the chuck spinning with the chuck key, butit was spinning at about 9000rpm! the chuck key was launched vertically at mach12 through the asbestos roof, leaving a 10" hole 50 feet above our heads, lathe matey was severely shocked but totally unhurt.

Hope the throbbing stops soon

Mark

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Terrapin_racing

posted on 4/3/04 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
Just shuting the barn door as they say!
These events, albeit a bitter experience for the victim, serve to remind us all to respect our power tools. I know as an experienced operator that all too often the temptation (especially when your in buzzing and near to completing an item) to take a short cut is there.

get well soon

[Edited on 4/3/04 by Terrapin_racing]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 4/3/04 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
I don't know if its been mentioned, but do not use flourescent lamps above a lathe, they strobe at 50hz.

Doesn't matter in my case - my lathe's gearbox makes so much noise I can ALWAYS tell when it's running!

rgds,

David

P.S. I sent a post a little while ago about the professional view about using abrasive paper/cloth in a lathe, but it's vanished... am I going nuts? Or did anyone else see it?

paulf

posted on 5/3/04 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
The posts still there.
Emerying in the lathe is a dangerous but widely accepted practice in industry. I have done so for the last 25 years with only minor mishaps but a sfer way is to do as you say and attach a strip of emery to a wooden stick with a piece of double sisded tape, if not doing it this way always use a short strip of emery of less than the circumference of the work piece so as it cannot wrap around a nother alternative is to use a garryflex abrasive rubber block which is good for blunting edges etc.
Of course whatever method used keep clear of the chuck and make sure you have no loose cuffs etc to get caught up.
Some people insist on filing in a lathe which in my opinion is equally dangerous and is considered bad practise in industry.If anyone must do so make sure the file has a good handle fitted and be very carefull not to contact the chuck jaws.
Paul.
P.S. I sent a post a little while ago about the professional view about using abrasive paper/cloth in a lathe, but it's vanished... am I going nuts? Or did anyone else see it?

type 907

posted on 6/3/04 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Sorry to hear of your accident Chris.

IMHO working in the garage on your own
is potentialy dangerous. I have a land line
in mine, and always have my mobile in my
top pocket.

I'v also managed to persuade the wife that,
purely as a safety measure, she should pop in with a cup of tea every hour or so.

Paul G

ps Don't use a treadle guillotine with one foot while the other foot is under the
treadle bar.

Jasper

posted on 6/3/04 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Ouchhhhhhh

Hope they heal up soon - maybe I'll stop cutting RHS with the .8m disk on the angle grinder over my leg now!

BTW - if you really want a picture check with your A&E, they usually take photo's b4 surgery like the picture above.

MikeR

posted on 6/3/04 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell ....... if i didn't already feel sick after being out on the beer last night I'm sure i would now!

When I used to polish stuff on a lathe at high school we'd get a really long peice of emmery cloth, hold it between finger and thumb and pull against the item. If things got caught it just whipped it out from between your finger and thumb.....

Of course its just made me realise how stupid that could be if you wrapped it around your finger and thumb.....

Hope you get building soon.

chris.russell

posted on 6/3/04 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
my girl friend is trying her hardest to make me stop building my kit car after my 'slight problem'. she just don't under stand the concept of by building it you can save shedloads.

went to the hospetal for a check up on thursday and for the firsdt time I saw the 'finished' fingers. better than i was expecting although the little finger is only about 1 cm long now, with the ring finger about 2cm.

thanks for all the great comments under this thread, good to hear all your support.

Hope you have all learnt your lesson to respect everything in your woprkshop from a simple drill or grinder to large industrial CNC machines.

I have had constant 'finger' jokes for the last week, any new ones are welcome....

Mines a pint

suparuss

posted on 6/3/04 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
we had a trainee in our woodworking shop a few years back who was blowing some dust off the bed on the 22" disk sander, some spit came out of his mouth onto the bed and decided he'd clean up with a rag, didnt stop the sander first tho. next thing- BANG! the rag was pulled in along with his hand and he was lucky to escape with a deep manecure which only hit the bone on one finger.
worse thing tho is that his mother made him change career after that, so the lesson learned was pointless.
tho, the blood spatters are still on the ceiling to remind us!
im glad your accident hasnt put you off from your build or from using machinery.

David Jenkins

posted on 6/3/04 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
David sorry to be contrary - but as a qualified risk assessor in an engineering factory there is NO CORRECT WAY of placing your hands near rotating machinery at all.

Yes - you're quite right!

I actually posted another reply but it went missing...

I looked in a "professional's training book" for lathes, and basically it said that using abrasive paper/cloth in a lathe is a no-no. This is due to safety (as discussed), it's bad for the lathe (abrasive dust in the works), and because the operator should be able to get a perfect finish with the tool and shouldn't need any final polishing.

cheers,

David

gjn200

posted on 7/3/04 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Stainless wishbones? Rather you than me mate............
bob

posted on 7/3/04 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to hear about the accident chris,bad new regarding the antibioticsno beer for 10 days OUCH.

chris.russell

posted on 8/3/04 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
not that i am counting but only 5 more 'elephant sized' tablets to go, ready for an ice cold pint of heaven....dribble dribble... on wednesday

Mines a pint

sgraber

posted on 10/3/04 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Chris - your experience is completely mind-blowing to me. I am so very sorry to hear that it happened to you.

I've gotten all 'anxious' just thinking about it and I want to thank you for talking about it openly here on the forum. I will most certainly be err'ing on the side of caution from now on.

Get well soon and don't let your GF stop you from doing what you love. (hmmm, that could be taken 2 ways I s'pose - I mean regarding the car building )

Bloody tragic...

Steve

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 10/3/04 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
I was wondering if the GF might miss those fingers.....

sorry to lower the tone

atb

steve

Alan B

posted on 10/3/04 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
I was wondering if the GF might miss those fingers.....

sorry to lower the tone

atb

steve

Ah...excellent work Steve......you are a first class student....

Alan B (pervmiester and pro. tone lowerer)

chris.russell

posted on 11/3/04 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
she might be, although for those of you who have heard of 'ghosting'...

one good point is she is going to help me with the car now, but I had to draw the line at having fluffy floor mats!

Mines a pint

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.