Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Some suggestions for people who need or want to sell their car
mr henderson

posted on 5/6/09 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Some suggestions for people who need or want to sell their car

Offered, with the deepest humility, are some suggestions. Feel free to disagree,

Never give a reason for selling the car. Reasons, no matter how good, or how true, will always come across like excuses. The car is for sale, no reason required. If you do have a particularly good reason, wait until later in the process before mentioning it, and only in reply to a direct question. Especially avoid the ‘kiss of death’ excuse of “new baby” as if having children is some kind of accident. Even if it was, it’s something that might happen to the prospect, and making such a car into an ‘either it’s the car or the baby that has to go’ situation is bound to be off-putting.

Never use cliches such as “not for the faint hearted” or (even worse) “drives superb”

Never allow a negative comment into your advert, such as “too fast for the wife” or “would benefit from some TLC” (which is also a cliché, of course). “Locost” is, to many, a negative statement. Just call it a ‘seven’ or 'bike-engine-car' or whatever. If the chassis builder has a name, then use that, so what if he only ever made one chassis, as long as it’s a good one.

Never list a feature without explaining the benefit. You may know why it’s good that your car has Barnett clutch springs, but the intending purchaser may not. So why not tell him?

Never say “offers invited”. State a price. It’s your car, you are proposing to swap it for some cash, it’s up to you to say how much cash. Everyone is open to offers, you can come and make an offer for my old Volvo if you like. When I really want to sell it, though, I will say how much I want.

Never overprice in order to leave some bargaining room. Always set the price at the lowest amount you will take and state in the advert, firmly, and on the phone to enquirers, that the price is firm. That way the intending purchaser will know how much money to bring, and neither his or your time will be wasted. The purchaser can also relax, knowing he won’t have to face an awkward moment when he has to start negotiating. A lot of people don’t like negotiating, and who can blame them? Suppose they really want the car, and you have said you are open to offers. How much should they offer? Are you going to laugh at them, or be cross? Best to set a price and make it clear you are going to stick to it, then that problem won't arise.

Never advertise that you would consider a part exchange. If you do, and your car is attractive, you will get all sorts of crazy p/ex offers and you will also face the problem of deciding how much the other car is worth. Just give a cash price.

Never write your advert in all capitals, and never allow a spelling mistake or grammatical error to mar your perfectly crafted advertisement. Get someone else to check it if you are not sure.

Always ensure that your pictures are in focus, that they are well taken and have pleasing backgrounds. Avoid track pictures, and avoid commenting on track days, an intending purchaser will not want to hear that the car has been run at maximum rpm and braking effort several times, such treatment is bound to eat into its lifespan.

All in my very own, humble, opinion, of course

John

scootz

posted on 5/6/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty much agree with most of that.
craig_007

posted on 5/6/09 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Good Points,All noted.
eddie99

posted on 5/6/09 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Really Good points, when i want to sell such a vehicle, i will look back and check that the advert all comply's with these
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeR

posted on 5/6/09 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
not sure I agree about the price thing.

Most people will expect to haggle a little. If i see a price at something say, 6,500 I expect the seller will drop to something between 6,250 and 6,500. If you've ever done marketing you'll know that the buying process is a multi stage affair .... the last stage is making the buyer feel good. Getting the product for less than advertised is a simple way to make you feel good therefore thats why people do it.

Plus if you wave a little less than the asking price for something that you're selling for thousands .... if you've not got a better offer turning up in a few hours the chances are you'll take it.

mr henderson

posted on 5/6/09 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
not sure I agree about the price thing.

Most people will expect to haggle a little. If i see a price at something say, 6,500 I expect the seller will drop to something between 6,250 and 6,500. If you've ever done marketing you'll know that the buying process is a multi stage affair .... the last stage is making the buyer feel good. Getting the product for less than advertised is a simple way to make you feel good therefore thats why people do it.

Plus if you wave a little less than the asking price for something that you're selling for thousands .... if you've not got a better offer turning up in a few hours the chances are you'll take it.

Well I guess that is something that will vary from one person to another. Actually the theory I am working on, and it's worked well for me in thje past, is that you only need one buyer. It's important to ensure that nobody is put off from coming and having a look with a view to buying.

A haggler will come anyway, and may well make an offer, but people who don't like haggling, and I can assure everybody that there are many of these, may well not. So the idea is to attract the widest number of prospects.

In any case, one thing I have found over the years is that nothing attracts buyers lke a low price, and asking more than you are happy to accept really doesn't make any sense, because you are making your price artificially high.

IMHO

John

smart51

posted on 5/6/09 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Great advice, which I've adopted. I'm not sure about price though. I'd expect everyone to offer less than the advertised price, even if only a little. I'd have thought most sellers will advertise a price a token amount above what they want for it, £6250 screams "I want £6000", to me at least. I'd also expect a number of buyers to be quite offended if you didn't take a little less than advertised. Some might even walk away on principle.

Apart from which, there's a difference between what I think a car is worth and what I'll let it go for. What its worth may even be lower than what I'll let it go for.

Good advice though and I think my current ad is the better for it.

mr henderson

posted on 5/6/09 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
Great advice, which I've adopted. I'm not sure about price though. I'd expect everyone to offer less than the advertised price, even if only a little. I'd have thought most sellers will advertise a price a token amount above what they want for it, £6250 screams "I want £6000", to me at least. I'd also expect a number of buyers to be quite offended if you didn't take a little less than advertised. Some might even walk away on principle.

I don't in fact disagree with that, if anything my strategy is all about getting the prospect there and in the right frame of mind. If he then makes an offer then it's up to the seller whether or not he accepts.

The fact remains, though, that asking for more money than one is prepared to accept is making the price artificially high. As soon as one does that, and makes it clear that one is open to offers on that higher price, then one is back to the haggling situation, which some people like and others don't.

What I'm really talkng about, though, is the initial advertisement. What happens after that is up to the parties concerned, as long as they have come and had a look.

John

andyd

posted on 5/6/09 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Good advice though and I think my current ad is the better for it.

Apart from the track day picture in your avatar?

Ooo, I'm not buying that. Looks thrashed to me!

Andy

contaminated

posted on 5/6/09 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
I think most of that is very good advice. I also think however that the days of setting a firm price are gone. Because of Ebay culture everyone expects a discount - even a Buy It Now price is there to be shot at.
mr henderson

posted on 5/6/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Another thought-

If anyone is selling their car with a Pistonheads advertisement, then they should put a link to their advert in their signature panel.

There's at least two people on this forum who are trying to sell, and who have large font notices of that in their signatures, who haven't put the links in

nick205

posted on 5/6/09 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
A pertinent thread for me having just penned my advert for Piston Heads

(For those who followed my thread on the whole selling/not selling, taking a 205 GTI and/or Robin Hood part built in exchange business - it looks like an impasse on perceived vehicle values may have put this one to bed )

So who fancies critiquing my draft ad before I post it - all comments and suggestions welcomed including the price...

MK Indy offered for sale
The car was built by myself and completed, SVA’d and registered March 2007 on an age related “G” plate. I have since covered approximately 3k miles in it with no problems (or breakdowns). The car is in excellent condition after a winter refurbishment including new headlights, re-powder coated suspension, 2 new tyres and a full service including all liquids, filters, plugs and leads. Full description as follows…

Chassis
MK Engineering box section space frame chassis providing a strong and lightweight platform. Fully independent, double wishbone suspension front and rear with Protech adjustable shocks giving a smooth supple ride with excellent road holding. All suspension components re-powder coated 2009.

Engine
2.0L Ford Pinto engine fully rebuilt including re-bore, pistons, rings, bearings, camshaft, followers, oil pump, crank re-grind, core plugs, gaskets and seals. Shortened and baffled sump/oil pick-up for improved ground clearance. Weber 32/36 DGV twin choke carburettor with K&N air filter. MK Engineering 4 into 1 stainless steel manifold and re-packable exhaust system. Engine rolling road tuned by Tom Airey – Airey Tuning Co @ approx 110bhp.

Transmission
Ford Sierra Type Nine 5 speed gearbox, MK Engineering shortened propshaft, Ford Sierra 3.62 non-LSD diff, Ford Sierra driveshafts. All gaskets, seals and gaiters replaced during the original build.

Brakes
Front - Ford Sierra discs, Rear – Ford Sierra drums. All components either brand new or exchanged recondition parts during the build.

Wheels & Tyres
15” 5 spoke alloy wheels with correct Ford Sierra offset of ET35. Front tyres – brand new Yokohama Parada Spec2, Rear Yokohama A520 fitted new during the build (6mm tread).

Interior
Intatrim Ranger seats, Sabelt 4 point harnesses, Mountney 12” steering wheel, ETB instruments (Tacho, Speedo, Temp & Fuel), Sierra column switch gear for lights, indicators, horn etc. which makes the car very easy to drive. Lockable rear cover providing access to the fuel tank/filler.

Electrics
Vikki Green Pinto wiring loom fitted new during the build for ease of use and reliability.

MoT & Tax
MoT’d to May 2010 and taxed to November 2009.

Included in the sale is a Haynes Manual for the Ford Sierra Donor car plus an extensive build history file with approx. 1,000 photos.

As above, the car is well built, in excellent condition and ready to climb in and drive, which is reflected in the asking price.

Please do not hesitate to email or call with any queries, for more photos or to arrange a viewing.

£5,200

[Edited on 5/6/09 by nick205]

dhutch

posted on 5/6/09 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by contaminated
I think most of that is very good advice. I also think however that the days of setting a firm price are gone.

I actually like haggling...

When i go and see a car i want (only only bought three so far, and one of those off my dad) i take the maximum amout of cash im willing to pay, upto, and typically close to or equally to the advertised price.

However i then largly accept some bargining.
- When i bought the westfield (advertised as £4200) the sellers friend who had put me intouch with him had slightly carelessly told me he was after £4k for it. So i used that as a start. And got it for £3750.
- I feel i got a good price, if the seller wasnt happy he could have jsut said no.

But yes, largly, everything you say makes sense and it i think what i would be aiming for in selling a car. (not somthing ive managed yet!)

Daniel

MikeR

posted on 5/6/09 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
been thinking about this whilst in the cinema .... to the point i'm tempted to get out my old marketing books (but haven't yet).

For example the bit about "selling due to baby". This is actually a very good line. It reassures the buyer their is a good 'honest' reason and not "selling due to garage telling me the engine is knackered and only has a few miles left in it". Obviously no one would write the last bit, but by writing the first you put the buyer at ease a little. By putting them at ease you make them more likely to consider the purchase.

Consider the extremes to try and make the point.

"Great car, tracked it most weekend this summer. Hardly any offs but more and more close calls as the summer as gone on. Used to get 1m 20 on circuit ???? but now only get 1m25"

vs.

"great car, never let me down - including two tours of europe. Built by time served engineer (and it shows - example of nice detail here). All reciepts for all work. Car cocoon also included in the price. Never raced or tracked, used for touring or trips to shops."

With the first advert i'd have a lot of alarm bells ringing. The second one would have me thinking a geek has loved this car - i'm interested.

Steve Hignett

posted on 5/6/09 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
I am probably amongst the general thought process of the rest of the people that whilst they agree in some small part the ability to write a:

"Do as I say advert or you won't sell your car"

The fact remains that each car sell's on a certain merit - be that merit a fact of needing to sell, a fact that you can no longer run the car, a fact that you think you have outgrown the car - all of these lead to the fact that there might be a multiple reason for selling and therefore a completely different advert from someone who may be selling for a different reason from me.

All of the above is only my own opinion which is similar to the OP who stated all these reasons why "all of you" aren't selling your cars in the first place, and isn't at all true.

The only way that a car will sell is if there is someone out there that wants something that you are selling at a price that suits them...

While I agree in some part to the above (i.e. "I fitted Barnett springs because they are better suited in a BEC than the Bike springs in a bike etc) I also would say that simple stated facts, and a clear picture "painted" for a potential customer is more than enough without having it spelt out for them.

In short, what I mean is if you want to sell your car then write a well researched advert for it - be true to your word, don't say a load of waffle for the sake of being a "salesman" as it seems depicted by the OP, just state some good facts, some good points, the highlights of the build, but don't be scared of pointing out any negative points if they are going to be prevelant to every buyer that turns up...

Be realistic about the money you expect - be realistic about haggling - I think it is a part of modern buying NO MATTER HOW MUCH YOU ADVERTISE A PRODUCT FOR, and just be as reciprocal as possible to every buyer without sacrificing your bottem line.

I'm sorry if my response isn't as "pretty" as the OP, but I believe in calling a spade a spade, and after reading several of the OP's most recent posts I thought I would just add my more "real world" scenario. As it would be terrible to apint a picture to all those out there selling there car think ing they would be able to just wave a magic wand to a couple of obvious gestures and getting miraculous sums of money for their POJ...

Sorry if any of the above has caused offence, I've been celebrating (still having a job) all night, so might not have phrased everything correctly (especially in regard to the OP's other ridiculous recent posts............)

ATB
Steve

RK

posted on 6/6/09 at 12:49 AM Reply With Quote
First off, I agree with our good Mr. Hignett. He's sold a few cars in his day.

A good salesperson lets the buyer do most of the talking. Something to keep in mind.

I want to know:

1. What is it? Keep it relatively simple. However, what you have there shows you are detail oriented, and that is appealing to a buyer.
2. How much is your asking price? EVERYONE has a price.

Once hooked, the prospective buyer can ask all his questions. People can make up all sorts of crap for why they're selling, so let the person ask, and you can be as truthful as possible then (Just a hint: don't say: "because I made a botch job of it over the past 2 1/2 years and gave up".)

[Edited on 6/6/09 by RK]

[Edited on 6/6/09 by RK]

mr henderson

posted on 6/6/09 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett

Sorry if any of the above has caused offence, I've been celebrating (still having a job) all night, so might not have phrased everything correctly (especially in regard to the OP's other ridiculous recent posts............)

Well, that was a little unexpected! I presume the "celebrating" means that you were drunk when you wrote that, and you are quite right, you haven't phrased everything correctly.

In fact, I've read through your post a few times and am still not quite sure what you are getting at. Never mind, it sounds like a general rant so I won't bother with it too much.

Anyway, my real reason for responding is to suggest that if you have found some of my recent posts ridiculous you ought to actually respond to them and point out the actual faults. Otherwise people reading won't know which parts are OK and which aren't.

In any case, it seems a shame to bring the general tone on this forum down by adopting that kind of attitude, and unless you can actually demonstrate a piece of ridiculousness in one or more of my posts then I think you should withdraw the comment.

John

2b_pablo

posted on 6/6/09 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
I think you need to expect 10% haggling room these days. I had my M3 there up at 12500, and took 11500. Was a quick hassle free sale done in one day from initial enquiry to driving it away. I had one guy offering 12 but he was waiting on finance and it had already dragged on for a week.

to me an easy quick sale is worth some money, you can hold out for more, and probably get it, but it might take a week/months etc.

just my 2c.

(ps not just saying this as Im looking to buy )

-----------------

if it aint broke... pull it off and upgrade it!

smart51

posted on 6/6/09 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 2b_pablo
I think you need to expect 10% haggling room these days.

So £7000 - 10% = £6300? (Private joke with 2b_pablo!)

Benzine

posted on 6/6/09 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

don't say a load of waffle for the sake of being a "salesman" as it seems depicted by the OP

Surely most of the things John has mentioned are good things not to say in adverts, many of which I see all the time and instantly put me off. Good thread, John

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
2b_pablo

posted on 6/6/09 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 2b_pablo
I think you need to expect 10% haggling room these days.

So £7000 - 10% = £6300? (Private joke with 2b_pablo!)

I knew youd post that

[Edited on 6/6/09 by 2b_pablo]

-----------------

if it aint broke... pull it off and upgrade it!

mr henderson

posted on 6/6/09 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
quote:

don't say a load of waffle for the sake of being a "salesman" as it seems depicted by the OP

Surely most of the things John has mentioned are good things not to say in adverts, many of which I see all the time and instantly put me off. Good thread, John

Thank you for takng my comments in the spirit in which they were intended.

By clicking on his profile I can see that note that Steve last visited the forum at 10.08, in other words after I posted inviting him to either withdraw his 'ridiculous' comment or to support it, and he has done neither. Perhaps he doesn't realise that I can tell when he visited and wants more time to consider his reply?

I will invite him again to either support his comment or to withdraw it, and I will also say, again, that that type of remark has no place on this forum . I think it is fine for people to disagree with each other, I do it all the time, but to make a remark saying that somebody else's posts are ridiculous is a piece of general unpleasantness which is rare on this particular forum, which is a good thing

John

mr henderson

posted on 6/6/09 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
I see Steve has made a couple more visits to the forum, the last (at the time of writing) at 12.17, so there is no doubt that he is reading my invitations to either support or withdraw the remark, and there is still no sign of him doing either.

I wonder what the problem is?

My request to him still stands. Either show that my posts are ridiculous, or withdraw the remark. Simple enough, I would have thought.

John

JoelP

posted on 6/6/09 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
well i must say, these posts themselves are getting a bit ridiculous!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

mr henderson

posted on 6/6/09 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
well i must say, these posts themselves are getting a bit ridiculous!

You would let it drop would you, if someone said something like that about you? And wouldn't either withdraw it or back it up?

Well, maybe you would, but I won't

John

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.