Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Some suggestions for people who need or want to sell their car
Garage Clearout

posted on 7/6/09 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
If you want a tip when selling your car, the best one is be Honest

If your seling the car because "A baby's on the way" there's nothing wrong with that, it shows you've clearly got your life's priority's right and are putting your family before you hobbies

If it's because you want to start another project, put it, that shows that your probably not a novice to building cars and could give confidence to the buyer.

If it's because your car needs "TLC" and you don't have the time or motivation to do the work, then say it.

At the end of the day it's one thing and one thing only that sells cars and that's Price

I've sold a quite a few kitcars in the past and they've all sold within weeks of being advertised, for 2 reasons. The pictures did the talking and the price was acceptable, 2 of the cars actually sold for the advertised price with no haggling.

At the end of the day if your car is worth £10000 then you'll get it, if it isn't then you'll get hardly any enquires.

Details in the advert are important, but the price is more so. It's no good saying i've spent £15000 building the car, and now i want £12000 for it, if the car looks just the same as another £10000 car, the reason you've spent so much is probably because you didn't search out the bargains or you paid labour charges for jobs doing.

So to shorten the post too one sentence "if you price it right then it will sell"

mr henderson

posted on 7/6/09 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garage Clearout

At the end of the day it's one thing and one thing only that sells cars and that's Price

I'm very much inclined to agree. However, there are a number of people suggesting that the asking price should be increased in order to allow a discount later in the sale, should one take place. What are your thoughts about that?

John

MikeR

posted on 7/6/09 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
Someone on here was selling a car quite cheaply a while ago. I was very tempted to go have a look. Would I have paid the asking price .... dunno, but even if i thought it was a bargain at X i'd still have tried a quick haggle. If he was prepared to budge great, if not then i'd know.

This isn't a supermarket selling apples, we're talking a high cost, non essential luxury item.

2b_pablo

posted on 7/6/09 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
its all part of the game. if you want 5k you put 5200 or 5250. buyer knows it too but still feels good getting it for 5k.

everyone likes a deal.

-----------------

if it aint broke... pull it off and upgrade it!

Garage Clearout

posted on 7/6/09 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
You have to allow for haggling in your advertised price.

If you want £10000, then advertise at £10500, most people expect to knock you down, despite me selling 2 of the above cars without any haggling, i was prepared to drop a bit of required.
If the buyer doesn't haggle then you've got a few pounds more than expected.

In the past i've been to view cars and kitcars and if the buyer will not budge on price when i come to haggle i'll walk away, there's plenty too choose from so to advertise a car at £10000 when you want £10000 is pretty risky, with no where to move your relying on the buyer not wanting to haggle.

Advertise it at £10500 and he knocks you down to £10000 and he feels he's got a bargain.

Everyone's happy you've got the £10000 you wanted and he thinks he's saved £500

Haggling is part of the buying process, anyone who pays the advertised price for a car is missing out on big savings.

Go into any car showroom and pick a car out, tell the salesman you want it and that you have the exact money to give him, he'll walk away rubbing his hands, now go back and offer him 10-20% less and you'll be surprised how many after a bit too and frow drop by thousands to secure the sale.

It's a buyers market, and with cars it always will be, so too save yourself any hassle price your car with haggling in mind and also price it right.

A bit of market research helps no end.

If your advertising your car too sell it, then price it too sell, if your not bothered about selling it, put any price you like, at the end of the day your not bothered if no one wants it.

mr henderson

posted on 7/6/09 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
So it would seem then that adding 5% to the price is a standard practice that both buyers and sellers are happy with.

OK, I'm happy with that. Much more than 5% would be a bit dubious IMO, though.

John

[Edited on 7/6/09 by mr henderson]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.