Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Do you leave your Kit out?
MautoK

posted on 23/10/09 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
<---- Lives in the garage mostly.
When left out in public there's the regular steering lock and a battery isolator on the rear bulkhead.
I like the idea of a prominent 'Start' button wired to air horns! ...or maybe not!
John.

He's whittling on a piece of wood. I got a feeling that when he stops whittling, something's gonna happen. (OUATITW/Cheyenne)

clairetoo

posted on 23/10/09 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Mine often has to sit on the drive due to the garage being full of `other projects' - hood up , steering wheel removed and steering lock on .
I do feel a bit nervous leaving it anywhere with the top down - but so far I've had no problem's

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

robocog

posted on 23/10/09 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Mine lives outside as I do not have a garage and gave up on using a cover (so rely solely on suitably placed holes in seats and floor and a tonneu to keep the worst out...have liberally coated stuff in ACF50 this year so hopefully the rot will slow down)

I live out on a spit so no one really just "passes through"
Area is pretty much OK and neighbours are V attentive

TBH I wouldn't have thought its a particularly desirable machine to nick

(bad idea to use for ramraiding - esp as its an MK with a plastic tank and would kind of stand out as a getaway or joy riders car, dificult to become anonymous with no roof/screen in a loud car)

Most of my bits are a bit rusty and in need of replacement, so hopefully the pro steal to break mercheants are also put off
(thats my excuse for it not being a blingy beauty queen!)

Was pretty paranoid about it when I first got it, but much less so now

Regards
Rob

pewe

posted on 23/10/09 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Like Dave Jenkins ^^ I have an Autolok.
It's clipped behind the passenger seat on a couple of padded tool clips.
Takes seconds to lock the handbrake and gearlever providing a visual deterrent. (That's besides standard ignition switch/steering lock & battery master cut-out switch).
See www.klamp-it.co.uk Autolok Original £20 or so.
Cheers, Pewe

[Edited on 23/10/09 by pewe]

Steve Hignett

posted on 23/10/09 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Mine lived outside the house for about 18months, and therefore was left everywhere outside when I was out in it.

As for security - erm, no. In fact, I think I only ever took the key out of it once...

irvined

posted on 23/10/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
I leave mine out quite often, at the beach, at work, overnight in a few cities.

I make sure I take out the battery isolator, a few times I'm fairly sure kids have had a play with it (Not in a nasty way, the local kids love it and are glued to it if i leave it out my house. Its the best security system ever.) and the switches will be on etc, so that stops the battery running out.

Obviously as it has no way of locking it, take anything of value out before you go. I've never had a problem, I found a homeless guy kipping against it in london once which was a quite funny.

HTH

David

http://irvined.blogspot.com

twybrow

posted on 23/10/09 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Lives in a garage (usually on axle stands!), but I'm happy to leave it places when out and about, as it is insured. The hardest thing is trying to find a way of keeping a parking ticket attached to the aeroscreen!
DIY Si

posted on 24/10/09 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
My car lives outside under a cover all year round, and I have no bother leaving it anywhere. I do however, live out in the sticks and I know that many of the locals know who's car it is and where it lives. The only security it has is the steering wheel lock, if I put it on, and the key. Although I do leave it in 3rd or 4th to deter anyone moving it about. I leave it out in multi-storey car parks, pub car parks and outside the take away and don't worry about it. It is insured for more than I paid for it though, so I won;t be too upset if it disappears.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.