Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fiat 126 Blackbird - Front End
T66

posted on 2/12/10 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Nice to see the little Fiat is of interest , I was due a visit to Nat & cal this week for a car update & beer but the weather has put paid to that...

Here it is with a wheel or two on, to give the general idea of what we are doing.

I doff my hat to Nat & Cal for the progress they have made so far, I am waiting of a few updated pictures and promise to upload them when I get them.

Minicooper

posted on 2/12/10 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hello,
What are you using for the drive to the rear wheels, I can see some sort of transmission there

Cheers
David

T66

posted on 2/12/10 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
Hello,
What are you using for the drive to the rear wheels, I can see some sort of transmission there

Cheers
David

Its secret at the moment - Ssssssssh say nowt

scootz

posted on 2/12/10 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
I was tempted to answer in your absence Ivan, but had a feeling you were keeping it quiet!

It's Evolution Baby!

T66

posted on 2/12/10 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I was tempted to answer in your absence Ivan, but had a feeling you were keeping it quiet!

Hahhaha - I doubt Nat & Cal could ever patent whats in the back of the Fiat , but hats off to them both, Just hope it works lol.

My mind is focused on Blue Book Regs at the moment, cages, footprints, and plates and stuff....

NS Dev

posted on 6/12/10 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
LOL don't panic Ivan!!

Re. the transmission, come on, have a guess, somebody on here will recognise it!!!

have a look on our website for more pics:

retropower fiat build

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Minicooper

posted on 6/12/10 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Range Rover Classic 4/4.2V8 1989-1995 transfer box, 3.2 ratio is spot on for a bec depending on wheel size of course.

How heavy is it?

Cheers
David

NS Dev

posted on 6/12/10 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Range Rover Classic 4/4.2V8 1989-1995 transfer box, 3.2 ratio is spot on for a bec depending on wheel size of course.

How heavy is it?

Cheers
David

Spot on!!

Around 30kg

Not light, but then that includes the diff, plus you don't need any chassis around the diff area to resist the tension forces on the chain. (and that soon gets pretty heavy) plus it should be maintainance free

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Minicooper

posted on 7/12/10 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
quote:

How heavy is it?

Cheers
David

Spot on!!

Around 30kg

Not light, but then that includes the diff, plus you don't need any chassis around the diff area to resist the tension forces on the chain. (and that soon gets pretty heavy) plus it should be maintainance free

30 kgs that's not to bad, the quaife boxes are 24kgs without oil you would also need to add a coupling of some sort to that
This one
http://www.quaife.co.uk/catalogue/products/qba2r they do have a reverse as well which is obviously very useful on a bike engined car but at £2,000 plus just for the box not cheap

I looked at these sorts of boxes when I was looking for a alternative cheap, reliable and quiet transfer box, I saw the 1.2 ratio and dismissed them, I completely forgot about the other ratio!

The morse chains chains are very strong reliable and quiet, I had one on a 7.8 litre Oldsmobile with no problems

Cheers
David

NS Dev

posted on 7/12/10 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
I nearly did the same thing, then I thought that maybe in some way running in low ratio would be a problem, then thought that of course it wouldn't, its just an epicyclic, no different to a typical auto box!

The coupler is the tricky bit, but after a couple of days farting about, I happened on "Coventry luck" as I now call it, whereby everything in engineering is made there!! I ended up calling a gearcutters about splining a coupling, and when I happened to mention what it was for (and thus its source, i.e. R380 gearbox tailshaft) they said "oh, yea we make those for Land rover!!!" so no problem there then!!

T66

posted on 10/12/10 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
I nearly did the same thing, then I thought that maybe in some way running in low ratio would be a problem, then thought that of course it wouldn't, its just an epicyclic, no different to a typical auto box!

The coupler is the tricky bit, but after a couple of days farting about, I happened on "Coventry luck" as I now call it, whereby everything in engineering is made there!! I ended up calling a gearcutters about splining a coupling, and when I happened to mention what it was for (and thus its source, i.e. R380 gearbox tailshaft) they said "oh, yea we make those for Land rover!!!" so no problem there then!!

Like I said earlier in the post......

" I doff my hat to Cal & Nat"

I like Coventry Luck , not heard that before. But its true !!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.