<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: buying a classic mini
cd.thomson

posted on 22/12/09 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by McLannahan
Craig - What about a Mk1 Golf GTi?

guys, you're swaying me back the other way now! Don't have space for a project until the Dax is done anyway but £2k sounds like my budget.

I couldn't get a mk1 golf after my 205! Blasphemy!!

Craig

McLannahan

posted on 22/12/09 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
quote:

guys, you're swaying me back the other way now! Don't have space for a project until the Dax is done anyway but £2k sounds like my budget.

Cough.....

carpmart

posted on 22/12/09 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Cough.....

OOOHHHH

I like that!

I had a MK2 16v which I loved, but a MK1 just looks great!

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

Ninehigh

posted on 23/12/09 at 01:21 AM Reply With Quote
It sounds like what you really want is one to work on after the Dax is done, and something for now to get you to work.

In which case get the mini, but consider (if it's not running or NEEDS some work) getting any old shitbox for now just for transport

andkilde

posted on 23/12/09 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Mini's aren't that tough to repair, even if you have a MIG, it's worth borrowing or hiring a decent spot welder to fix front wings and any of the other exposed weld-flange panels. If you prep the surrounding panels well the repair work goes very quickly.

As for getting the front "jigged" as MrWhippy mentioned, it's not really a huge issue. The front subframe bolts to the upper bulkhead and bodyshell even without the front inner and outer wings in place and this gives you decent reference points to line up the front -- most troubles are as a result of cheap pattern panels.

If the upper front subframe mounting points are rotten, find another car. Be suspect of a car fitted with oversills as well (no square drain holes), they're a bodge, can hide a lot of rust and once fitted cause a lot of swearing to remove neatly and get right -- especially if the rotten old sill was not trimmed away before fitting.

t

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 23/12/09 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
linkydoodles

if anyone knows of a mini with a sturdy shell, running okay then link me in.

Interior/spec not a huge issue if the above criteria are met as I want it as a long-term, driveable, project cheers guys.

Craig

Jasper

posted on 23/12/09 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
I looked at that on PH Craig, and to be honest I'm not sure I would buy a car of a guy who photographed the interior looking such a state, but the exterior does look nice. The engine's been messed with as well....

Keep your eye on Ebay, that's where I found mine, it didn't sell at £4.5k so bid her down to £4k.

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

cd.thomson

posted on 23/12/09 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Will do Jasper,

For some reason I'm always attracted to adverts with one dodgy pic and an acknowledgment of some bad stuff (i.e. bit of non-critical rust) but I am put off by people who put ~~~L00K#~~~ in the heading

Craig

DarrenW

posted on 23/12/09 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Mine will make a good project for someone. 1996 sidewalk limited edition (1275 spi). Most of the structural work done. Happy to send you some pics if interested. Its got quite a lot of aftermarket goodies and a great orignal interior. Very nice wheels etc. Back end is rebuilt - just needs re-assembling. A little welding to complete but fairly easy stuff.

Jasper - no probs. You mustnt have got my message. Been busy with new business (dont get much chance to log on and blackberry doesnt like U2U's) but on holiday now . Hope the cooper serves you well.

cd.thomson

posted on 23/12/09 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi darren, certainly interested enough to see pictures and get some more details. Email me at cd(dot)thomson(at)gmail(dot)com

Craig

gazza285

posted on 23/12/09 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
a bit of non-critical rust

What the hell's that? Any rust in a mini is critical!

quote:

I'm sure patchworking a mini is a doddle in comparison!

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 23/12/09 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
constructive

Craig

gazza285

posted on 24/12/09 at 12:14 AM Reply With Quote
Welding up a scrap motor is nothing like welding up a Locost. The steel used is much thinner, usually formed into complex shapes and the stuff behind it is either extremely rusty as well or flammable.

Unlike as some on here seem to think, roughly welding up some new 16G box section into a chassis does not make you a competent welder, and the material you will be dealing with in a used Mini is nowhere near as forgiving as 16G box.

What is non-critical rust? Any rust will be expensive to deal with properly.

Any more constructive?

gazza285

posted on 24/12/09 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
£1800 for a 15 year old car which needs new wings, front panel and A panels at least?

How about something that's more reliable, faster, more comfortable, able to fit more than two midgets, capable of carrying something, uses less fuel, has a functioning heater, isn't rusty and costs much less? Best of all its a project car! Well it needs a new clutch, which is much easier than welding any car ever.

eBay!

dlatch

posted on 24/12/09 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
mini=coffin and a rusty one too

still good fun cars with handling to save you from almost anything just never hit anything solid

my first car was a 1275 gt which i loved but after i see one that hit a saab up the arse at most 20mph i sold mine and then went looking for a bigger car

cd.thomson

posted on 24/12/09 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't mean any offence dlatch. I suppose the question about "why a mini and not a volvo" is similar to "why a dax and not an elise/vx220".

Not one I can easily answer, but cars are one of the few things I take real pleasure in, especially if they're a bit special.

I know its not the same, but I did partially restore a 2.8i capri before my kit came along, where I had someone else weld up the rust after I stripped to bare metal and prepared the areas for repair. So I do have experience with rot.

As far as safety goes, I couldnt agree more! One of the first things I want to do is fit a full cage.

Craig

Andybarbet

posted on 24/12/09 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
I will try and post a small picture of our one.

1976, 998cc one owner from new, came with a full service history (32 years !) 10months tax & MOT, original bill of sale etc, completely loved and un molested, i got offered it as the owner wanted it to go to a good home & at £200 i couldnt say no

I think it is showing in this thread that you either love them or hate them - i always said i would have another and when i got offered our one i snapped it up and gave it to my other half for her birthday. She loves it and is really into the car scene now sneaky aye ?

Most people say they are unreliable but i never had a problem with any of the ones i owned, they just need a bit of looking after here and there.

I say go for it, they have their faults but i managed to get lucky with this one, garaged all its life, little bit of rust but amazing considering its age. its even the same age/colour as my 1st car.

As for safety etc, 7's are not exactly up there with the mega safe cars but we are all still interested or building or driving them.

Good luck

Andybarbet

posted on 24/12/09 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hope these pictures work. Rescued attachment Resized side view.jpg
Rescued attachment Resized side view.jpg

Andybarbet

posted on 24/12/09 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Check out the lovely Poo Brown vinyl Rescued attachment Resized interior.jpg
Rescued attachment Resized interior.jpg

Andybarbet

posted on 24/12/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, couldn't have a mini thread without some pictures Rescued attachment Resized front corner.jpg
Rescued attachment Resized front corner.jpg

britishtrident

posted on 24/12/09 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
They are really pretty horrible to work on and maintain.
1275 A series engine can be a pain the back side with regard to piston rings problems head gasket failure, exhaust and brakes need constant attention. Some models of SU HS4 carb with a thermostat in the jet can be trouble some unless modified by fitting an earlier type of jet.
Engine mounts (truly horrible job) and ball joints are major and frequent MOT problems

1275 A+ engine as in the Metro is much better but not perfect.
850, 998 and 1098 engines are near bullet proof.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Ninehigh

posted on 24/12/09 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Mmmmm Leyland Beige

Andybarbet

posted on 24/12/09 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, cant beat a bit of 'Sandglow', apparently its the same paint they use for the Camel trophy landrovers !

My other half calls it babysick beige

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.