Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where to start? New BMW garage heater!!
franky

posted on 29/1/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Where to start? New BMW garage heater!!

I've now got the e36 m3 sat in my garage...

Now where the hell do I start on taking it to bits!?

I was thinking...

1 engine and box out
2 sell all the rest of the trim/bits that I can
3 out the garage, on bricks, remove suspension legs/brakes etc
4 Give the scrap man a call.

Does that sound about right?

tegwin

posted on 29/1/10 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
I've now got the e36 m3 sat in my garage...

Now where the hell do I start on taking it to bits!?

I was thinking...

1 engine and box out
2 Give Tegwin a ring so he can pick the engine up
3 sell all the rest of the trim/bits that I can
4 out the garage, on bricks, remove suspension legs/brakes etc
5 Give the scrap man a call.

Does that sound about right?

EFA

[Edited on 29/1/10 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

twybrow

posted on 29/1/10 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds about right. I would also take all of the loom (it could be chopped down to fit your car), the steering column/switch gear/wheel and as many bulbs as you can be arsed to scavenge!
NigeEss

posted on 29/1/10 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on your time scale. If you can sell first taking bits off as you do it'll take up
a lot less space. Amazing how much room a car fills when in bits !

franky

posted on 29/1/10 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
cool. Parts I need are...

Engine
Diff
Engine loom
Clocks
Gearbox
Steering parts
wheels

I'm not allowed to strip it on the drive as my long haired boss thinks we'll look like 'travelers'

omega0684

posted on 29/1/10 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
what the feck car is that going into?

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
franky

posted on 29/1/10 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
In a very distant future a GKD Legend six.

Its so much more cost effective. ITB's as standard, its ECU has been mapped to perfection and it already makes just over 300bhp so more than enough poke.

coupled with the LSD etc its cheaper than building a duratec on TB's.

[Edited on 29/1/10 by franky]

dlatch

posted on 29/1/10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
great choice of engine they really are a cracker and when 300bhp is not enough always SC options
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Miks15

posted on 29/1/10 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
just a little help,the front slam panel can be removed so the engine can come out forwards.

If you disconnect the gear lever, you wont need to worry about tipping the engine up, just on a crane and either wheel the crane one way, or the car the other.

If you have any queries on how to take the car apart just give me a shout, i did my E36 couple years ago now (ok it was only a 1.6 and not an M3) but alot of the fiddly bits could be the same

Also, someone payed me £150 for the shell of mine, so dont just go to the scrappy. Someone might be looking for a shell (jus remember to grind off all ID numbers)

big_wasa

posted on 29/1/10 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
oh I so like the look of that
franky

posted on 29/1/10 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
just a little help,the front slam panel can be removed so the engine can come out forwards.

If you disconnect the gear lever, you wont need to worry about tipping the engine up, just on a crane and either wheel the crane one way, or the car the other.

If you have any queries on how to take the car apart just give me a shout, i did my E36 couple years ago now (ok it was only a 1.6 and not an M3) but alot of the fiddly bits could be the same

Also, someone payed me £150 for the shell of mine, so dont just go to the scrappy. Someone might be looking for a shell (jus remember to grind off all ID numbers)

Thats exactly what i'm hoping, i've taken the front slam panel off.... just got to get everything else connected off.

The more tips to getting it out the better. what else apart from all the engine mounts etc need to come off to do it? I was thinking of resting it on wood and pushing the car off it but the crane is a good idea too. Just tight on space though as they're bloody big motors!

this pic is where i'm at now...

Miks15

posted on 29/1/10 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
eerrrmmm...

prop, exhaust loom, TB's coolant lines, obvs engine mounts, gearbox mounts, PAS lines, AC lines, Heater lines.
if you get the main things off, slowly move it, if you feel a snag then you can inspect to see whats stopping it.

Under the engine (if its anything like mine was, theyll be a cross member that bolts to the chassis. The engine then bolts to this cross member. if i remeber correctly, the steering rack also connects to this. I think this cross member might be in the way of the sump coming directly past it, so it might be wise to drop the cross member and steering rack as opposed to just undoing the engine mounts

MikeR

posted on 29/1/10 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
keep all the nuts and bolts as you strip it - if you don't use them on the rebuild / new build you'll find a use for them at some point.
franky

posted on 29/1/10 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
eerrrmmm...

prop, exhaust loom, TB's coolant lines, obvs engine mounts, gearbox mounts, PAS lines, AC lines, Heater lines.
if you get the main things off, slowly move it, if you feel a snag then you can inspect to see whats stopping it.

Under the engine (if its anything like mine was, theyll be a cross member that bolts to the chassis. The engine then bolts to this cross member. if i remeber correctly, the steering rack also connects to this. I think this cross member might be in the way of the sump coming directly past it, so it might be wise to drop the cross member and steering rack as opposed to just undoing the engine mounts

Sounds like a plan. Should be able to do it in half a day all going well.

Been looking at ebay too and all the parts I don't need seem to go for decent money so fingers crossed i'll get most of the cost back.

jollygreengiant

posted on 29/1/10 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I know it might be a pain in the ar$e doing it but DON'T cut any wiring, just take out the ENTIRE loom and all fuse boxes, relays and ECU's. then you won't want any electrical cables and you can always re-use the switches as necessary.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

James

posted on 29/1/10 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Once it's out, could you do some quick measurements of engine/gearbox please?

My car is approaching Viento size... reckon one of these babies would fit quite nicely.

Are they auto gearbox? Pretty sure my mate's was.

How much of a challenge is it to use the stock ECU (and therefore Loom presumably) without needing locks, ignition key, immobiliser etc. etc.?

How come you went for this one, not the EVO at 320bhp?

Looks great!

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 29/1/10 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 29/1/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
I know it might be a pain in the ar$e doing it but DON'T cut any wiring, just take out the ENTIRE loom and all fuse boxes, relays and ECU's.

I think I attempted that with my Sierra donor.

I don't think it was possible!!! I'd have had to cut the car apart around the loom! Too many connectors put on after the loom has been fed through bulkheads etc.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Simon

posted on 29/1/10 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
I'm not allowed to strip it on the drive as my long haired boss thinks we'll look like 'travelers'

Shouldn't worry about that, if the council thinks they've got pikies, they'll probably give you a grant

ATB

Simon

franky

posted on 29/1/10 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Once it's out, could you do some quick measurements of engine/gearbox please?

My car is approaching Viento size... reckon one of these babies would fit quite nicely.

Are they auto gearbox? Pretty sure my mate's was.

How much of a challenge is it to use the stock ECU (and therefore Loom presumably) without needing locks, ignition key, immobiliser etc. etc.?

How come you went for this one, not the EVO at 320bhp?

Looks great!

Cheers,
James

[Edited on 29/1/10 by James]

No worries will do, just let me know what you need. If you get a 3.0 they're very easy to get running.

5 sp ZF bomb proof manual.

I went for this over the 3.2 as....

1) Single vanos unit that do not have the issues the 3.2 have.

2) Gearbox's are stronger, the race cars fit this box to a 3.2 unit.

3) the EVO hardly ever makes its claimed 321bhp... when this was on a dyno at a dyno day it make more poke than 7 evo's, only one evo made more at 315bhp with a 8.2k rev limit.

4) Price

5) Price again!

gottabedone

posted on 29/1/10 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
when you take all of your loom out, if you also take the all of the lights and other electrickery bits then you can reconnect when off the car. It makes chasing wires and finding faults a lot easier. You can later remove all of the bits that you don't need and sell on any that you can.

I would also remove anything that connects to anything with the steering, suspension, fuel, exhaust etc. as it will make life easier if you have to set up the mounting points on your new chassis and answering the @which way round does this go" questions

This will be a serious toy when finished

Steve

maartenromijn

posted on 29/1/10 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
I know it might be a pain in the ar$e doing it but DON'T cut any wiring, just take out the ENTIRE loom and all fuse boxes, relays and ECU's.

I think I attempted that with my Sierra donor.

I don't think it was possible!!! I'd have had to cut the car apart around the loom! Too many connectors put on after the loom has been fed through bulkheads etc.

Cheers,
James

I did it with a 1993 Mondeo! The engine out costs 1 day, and the wiring loom 3 days! I have put a piece of tape at every connector and written what the connector is for.

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

franky

posted on 29/1/10 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what i've been doing with this, the good news is that the engine loom connects to the main loom with block connectors.
Richard Quinn

posted on 29/1/10 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know where the earth strap is on that motor but that's the one that normally catches me out! The number of cars I've ended up lifting in the air with the crane because the bloody earth strap is still attached!!
dave-69isit

posted on 29/1/10 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
on my last on earth straps on starter motor
pdm

posted on 29/1/10 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Will you need any mods to the standard Legend 6 chassis to fit engine/gearbox ?

Are you using the M3 prop, diff and half shafts or are you mating to a standard diff/halftshafts ?

What are you doing about front hubs/calipers - going with the M3 ones or using standard ones ? Same for rear flanges - are you going for standard ones ?

It's going to be one awesome motor when it's done !!

thanks
Paul

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.