Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why no fwd kits........
D Beddows

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Why no fwd kits........

Ok, I'll start of by saying I'm playing devils advocate a bit here but why do kit cars generally have to be rwd or no one will consider them?

After all no one complains about mini/205/etc etc handling and we all pretty much drive fwd cars nowadays anyway....... I know there are various 'packaging' problems but all the rwd cars available nowadays (with the exception of the MX-5) are big old heavy things which don't really lend themselves to lightweight kit cars.... so why not? is it because everyone just wants to follow the crowd and have a 7 alike because they're comfortable with the shape as it's different but not too different? It can't be because parts are easier to find and/or cheaper because they're not.... so go on why not?

cd.thomson

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
its a massive hassle designing a sporty looking car but with the engine sitting transversely over the FWD drivetrain was the conclusion of a similar thread that was posted some time ago.

Craig

dan__wright

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
because you cant get sideways in a fwd like you can in rwd, rwd is more fun!

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

AndyGT

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ask McClaren, Ferrari and a whole host of other sports car manufacturers!!!

At a guess when a FWD car spins wheels it gives uncontrollable (without backing off) understeer whereas a RWD car can have the over/understeer "dialed" out to suit a particular drivers needs. And if a RWD does spin the wheels it can be controlled more easily by the driver without having to back off too much.

My question (sorry for the hijack) is why 4WD kits?

Andy

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cd.thomson

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dan__wright

i beg to differ, ive been sideways - sideways - backwards - sideways and upside-down in my fwd

Craig

AndyGT

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
quote:

i beg to differ, ive been sideways - sideways - backwards - sideways and upside-down in my fwd

me too^^^^

nothing is impossible
everything is possible

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
evo.rocks

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
because its much harder to put the power down in a front wheel drive car - for exaple, have you ever hear of a front wheel drive car do 0-60 in 3 seconds??? nope

with to much power you start to create torque steer aswell

rear wheel drive cars are just alot better imho

eddie99

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
As above, if it was best. Then why arent all the top manufacturers running fwd?
As for 4wd, i think the cost element stops any 4wd kit cars...

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
fesycresy

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Have you ever tried doing a donut in a FWD ?

How else are you supposed to impress the girls in Tesco's car park ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

cd.thomson

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
if you mean 4wd performance cars then you can get one from Dax. The issue with them is the weight outweighs the traction advantage as it uses the heavy sierra gear.

Craig

deezee

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Its easier to build a RWD car. The components are separate and laid out better. Your diff is separate from the gearbox. Your steering is separate from the drive shafts. Its just simpler! Weight distribution is more favourable in a RWD format as well.

gottabedone

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
because apparently front wheel drive cars aren't real drivers cars!!

..................so that means that the majority of cars that we drive and have fun it are all crap!

.........Who has driven a Leon Cupra/Civic etc?

We've done this one before and it seemed to come down to pub talk and that only real men drive rear wheel drive cars!

My GTM Rossa was wicked fun - the whole front of a Mtro GTI bolted onto the rear of a monocoque.

I also have a Minari - which is FWD - front end of an Alfasud/33 bolted to the front of a monocoque - Alfa handling 700kg

I think it's about breaking away from the norm - some could stop moaning about packaging problems and make it work.

BenB

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Originally posted by eddie99

Most manafacturers produce vehicles built with the sole purpose of carrying around 2.5 people and half a dog. Fun doesn't come into it!!

iank

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
<controversial> because car enthusiasts are sheep just like all other people, the few FWD kitcars manufacturers have trried have all been pilloried by the herd (who haven't actually driven one) so no one buys them, so no one makes them </controversial>

It's also harder to make a sleek looking sportscar with a tall FWD engine in the front.

Edit: It's quite possible to make a mini oversteer instead of understeer, but those that set up the suspension make it neutral because they want to go fast.

[Edited on 2/3/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

se7en

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Is this you then?

Or maybe this one?

RWD is the only way a man can enjoy himself, the car becomes part of his body and makes him more masculine (why do you think sports cars have so much body out front) FWD is for women drivers

[Edited on 2/3/10 by se7en]

D Beddows

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
lol, I have to admit I'm a little past wanting to impress 17 year old chav girls outside the chip shop or Tescos but then why do people lust after 'Z' cars minis every time they're mentioned? fwd as I recall....... and what is a 'sporty' looking car? people say Civic Type R's are 'sporty' looking after all!

Edited to say:

Lol IanK - that's what I suspect is going on too but shhhhhhh

[Edited on 2/3/10 by D Beddows]

dan__wright

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

ok let me rephrase that, you cant get as sideways in a controlable manner in a fwd.

i too have been sideways sideways in a fwd but luckily i caught it.

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

matt_gsxr

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
link

onyx sports cars.

Supposedly quite quick. Looks might be an acquired taste.

Matt

cd.thomson

posted on 2/3/10 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
there seems to be a leg/engine interface in that car!

Craig

se7en

posted on 2/3/10 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Originally posted by eddie99

Most manafacturers produce vehicles built with the sole purpose of carrying around 2.5 people and half a dog. Fun doesn't come into it!!

Because it is much easier for mainstream manufacturers to make an engine, box & diff all in one package. It is also much cheaper than the RWD options.

Where does one get 'half a dog'?

kj

posted on 2/3/10 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by se7en
quote:
quote:

Is this you then?

Or maybe this one?

RWD is the only way a man can enjoy himself, the car becomes part of his body and makes him more masculine (why do you think sports cars have so much body out front) FWD is for women drivers

[Edited on 2/3/10 by se7en]

Look at the Tyre on that robin hood

Humbug

posted on 2/3/10 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by fesycresy
Have you ever tried doing a donut in a FWD ?

How else are you supposed to impress the girls in Tesco's car park ?

Presumably you could do one in reverse, because then the front becomes the back and vice versa?

Humbug

posted on 2/3/10 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Also, there are a few kits (and home designs) that use FWD engine and transmission to give mid-rear layout with RWD. Maybe that's the way to go? The result just doesn't look much like a seven.
smart51

posted on 2/3/10 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deezee
Its easier to build a RWD car. The components are separate and laid out better. Your diff is separate from the gearbox. Your steering is separate from the drive shafts. Its just simpler! Weight distribution is more favourable in a RWD format as well.

But if you use a FWD donor, all that work is done for you. Simply take your FWD engine / box / diff etc and bolt it to your new chassis in the same position.

Take your hot hatch of choice, fit the oily bits to a nice space frame. Add a light weigh body and instantly your power to weight ratio goes up by 50% to 100%. I'd have thought this would be the easiest type of kit conversion.

The obvious down side is weight distribution. FWD cars are front heavy and removing all the rear weight will only make it worse. Then you've got to make a front upper wishbone fit around a transverse engine. The metro did this by having a very short top wishbone but that's not exactly ideal. I suppose you could have a very wide one.

RWD is "better" so that's what enthusiasts want. I'd be happy enough in a well sorted FWD kit.

hughpinder

posted on 2/3/10 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
I thought part of the driver appeal was that when you put the power through a separate set of tyres to those you're using to steer, you get a better feel of the road?

Hugh

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.