Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Camber adjuster failier on Haynes Roadster warning
craig1410

posted on 17/3/10 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoboy
They look very similar to the ones i bought from GTS tuning.

Dont GTS supply rally design?

Isn't Darren a poo hot suspension designer................................

Strikingly similar to these

and these

I'd inform Rally Design if I were you because I think you did fit them as intended (wrt to BT) and they have failed due to poor design. I agree that Ally is a bad material when connected between a steel drag link with steel locknut and steel wishbone. Rally Design should withdraw these from sale and refund your £9.50. To be honest, £9.50 is way to cheap for something like this if it was designed properly.

Edit: If you look closely at this picture from the GTS Tuning website you can see a camber adjuster fitted to the top wishbone. Click on the image of the car to enlarge. Looks to me like you did fit it correctly.

All in my humble opinion of course...
Craig.

[Edited on 17/3/2010 by craig1410]

[Edited on 17/3/2010 by craig1410]

andyharding

posted on 18/3/10 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like a bad design to me, over tightening the lock nut is most likely the cause of failure but because the part is hidden you can't tell you've damaged it until it fails. Can't believe they are made of ally.

Think I'd be bringing small claims against the supplier...

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

alistairolsen

posted on 18/3/10 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
I considered these, but having looked at them, they fit inside a one inch tube from memory giving an OD of about 22mm and are 18.5mm bore across the outside of the threads leaving a 1.75mm wall thickness with a nice cut thread as a stress raiser. I wouldnt build that in steel never mind alloy.

That said I would always install them with the nut outwards and a half nut on the inside end to lock them. That way they can only fail in a relatively safe manner.

My Build Thread

boggle

posted on 18/3/10 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
why would you use these over a piece of threaded material welded into the top wishbone???

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

iank

posted on 18/3/10 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boggle
why would you use these over a piece of threaded material welded into the top wishbone???

Because that would only be adjustable by a whole thread, these give infinite adjustment.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

alistairolsen

posted on 18/3/10 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
because you can adjust them by a tiny amount, without removing the ball joint. With threaded bones you're restricted to a full turn of the ball joint on asymmetric wishbones (which they will be on a book locost chassis with appropriate castor) which i s~1mm

My Build Thread

boggle

posted on 18/3/10 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
i see......

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

eddie99

posted on 18/3/10 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
As said earlier, I think this is a one off problem and maybe something else caused it. Lots of people run these adjusters on their cars and i haven't heard of a problem before and i bet alot of them have been thrashed around a track!

http://www.elitemotorsporteng.co.uk/

Twitter: @Elitemotoreng

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Liam

posted on 18/3/10 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
HOLY POO!! This is shocking!

They could be made of chocolate if the ball joint went all the way through and there were nuts on both sides as BT describes, but looking at the pictures this doesn't seem to be the case. In fact it's definately not the case or it couldn't have failed and come apart like that at all!

Given that this design therefore relies entirely on the tensile strength of the adjuster to stay in one piece, it just beggars belief it's so thin and made of anodized ally!! In fact of course it's far weaker even than the part's tensile strength when you consider fatigue/endurance - a double whammy against choosing ally.

I take it it snapped pretty much right where the ball joint shank ended? I literally can't believe this product was sold. Wouldn't even trust a steel one that thin personally.

Eeek!

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alistairolsen

posted on 18/3/10 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
I suspect this was how it was fitted when it failed:

and IMO it should be reversed and the half nut on the inboard side but as stated earlier you would need a short housing tube or a very long track rod end to have enough thread.

My Build Thread

eddie99

posted on 18/3/10 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by turbodisplay
I can't believe it is ali, it looks like it due to being anodised. I`m not a material designer but i wouldn`t use ali, nor would I anodise it, that makes it more brittle!

Darren

Where did you get that from? Anodising doesn't make a material more brittle!!!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Elite-Motorsport-Engineering/153409081394323

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
iank

posted on 18/3/10 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eddie99
quote:
I can't believe it is ali, it looks like it due to being anodised. I`m not a material designer but i wouldn`t use ali, nor would I anodise it, that makes it more brittle!

Darren

http://resources.metapress.com/pdf-preview.axd?code=mj50343764u6001m&size=largest

The anodised film is brittle and if it cracks they propagate into the base alloy.

[Edited on 18/3/10 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

eddie99

posted on 18/3/10 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Oh ok i stand corrected. My thoughts were that yes the coating is more brittle but it doesn't affect the actual ally.

Liam

posted on 18/3/10 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Darren

The surface is harder and more prone to cracking, or there can be surface defects caused by the anodizing process itself. Either of these can be nucleation points for cracks propogating further into the component, eventually leading to failure.

Edit: Darn beaten to it!

[Edited on 18/3/10 by Liam]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
eddie99

posted on 18/3/10 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking about it some more....
I actually suspect that the tube of your wishbones was too big and not the correct size for the adjuster. Therefore it would twist and could fail. But i suspect thats the only thing. Where did you get wishbones from?
Regards
Ed

boggle

posted on 18/3/10 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
so im thinking you have to have a special top wishbone to take these, or do you have to drill out the tube???

u2u me for details

eddie99

posted on 18/3/10 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
so im thinking you have to have a special top wishbone to take these, or do you have to drill out the tube???

Maybe not a "special" one. But obviously it was designed for a certain type etc.. etc.. It's not designed for any wishbone if you get me....

Peteff

posted on 18/3/10 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
To put a nut on both ends the track rod thread would have to be 6" long and the thread protrude both ends. They would have to be specially made but if you could do that you would not need to buy the adjuster, just use a close fitting top tube.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

craig1410

posted on 18/3/10 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Maybe not a "special" one. But obviously it was designed for a certain type etc.. etc.. It's not designed for any wishbone if you get me....

Perhaps more importantly you would need to be sure that the inboard end of the wishbone tube had been squared off properly in a lathe to ensure that it wasn't placing all the compression load caused by the locknut into one point.

I still say it is a bad design and when a pair only costs £9.50 from Rally Design you can tell that it isn't going to be aircraft spec alloy or quality which is what I would be wanting before I would entertain such a poor design.

flak monkey

posted on 18/3/10 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC the OD of the adjuster is about 21mm (normally fitted to 2mm wall, 25mm od tube) and the thread is M18, so that gives you 1.5mm radially which should be more than enough strength wise if the adjusters are steel or 6063T6 or similar. Yes there is a potential for fatigue and galvanic corrosion if ali adjusters are used, but I doubt this would be a problem on our style of car due to the low milage and general dry, summer only use.

RE stress raisers - the tips of the thread are far from sharp, they will have a root radius of around 0.25mm which is enough to prevent a stress raiser in that area. It should also be pointed out that this becomes a moot point if the adjusters are fitted correctly.

Its also worth checking the length of the adjuster. If the adjuster is too long for the tube then the assembly wouldnt be clamped tight in the wihbone allowing some play which would cause premature failure. The adjuster should sit at least 0.75mm inside the wishbone tube.

I havent heard of any other failures, and there are a lot of these fitted to cars now and they have had a lot of track use too.

I wont be changing mine in a hurry.

[Edited on 18/3/10 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

iank

posted on 18/3/10 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
quote:
quote:

Perhaps more importantly you would need to be sure that the inboard end of the wishbone tube had been squared off properly in a lathe to ensure that it wasn't placing all the compression load caused by the locknut into one point.

Well worth checking the wishbone tube is true before fitting another - even a steel replacement.

Ideally they would be made from a steel forging.

--
Anonymous

eddie99

posted on 18/3/10 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Heres some figures:

OD of the camber adjuster is 22mm
Thread is 18

AREA = 502.65mmsquared
Tensile strength - 120n/mmsquared
So 6 tons

600kg car?
70% under weight at front under breaking? 210kg then per corner

Lets say the stress raiser in the corner and the thread is a factor of 6, the camber adjuster can handle 6000 kg's divide by 6 = 1000kg

add in some factor for Fatigue etc.. and still well in????

flak monkey

posted on 18/3/10 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
You need to factor in G, but your factor of 6 is more than adequate to encompass that too.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Toltec

posted on 18/3/10 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Heres some figures:

OD of the camber adjuster is 22mm
Thread is 18

AREA = 502.65mmsquared
Tensile strength - 120n/mmsquared
So 6 tons

Pi times radius squared so

Pi x 121 - pi x 81 = 125.66mmsquared

So following the rest of your calculations we get 250kg not 1000kg.

More marginal?

craig1410

posted on 18/3/10 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
You need to factor in G, but your factor of 6 is more than adequate to encompass that too.

It's not actually that simple. You need to look at lateral loads at the contact patch which will be approximately vertical load times tyre friction coeff. Then you will have a leverage ratio to contend with where the upright will pivot about the lower balljoint and therefore apply compression and tension loads to the upper wishbone. You also have the upper wishbone angle to contend with although it will be less of an issue.

However, having said all that, you don't (to my knowledge) know what the breaking strain of the camber adjusters actually is or even what material they are made from. There are also no instructions (that I know of) about which way around to fit them other than the picture I mentioned earlier from the GTS website showing the head of the adjuster inboard which is how most people seem to fit them. And there is no information on suitable wishbone tube sizes or torque settings for the locknut. Dynamically you need to think about maximum steady state loading and then add shock loading factors and then a safety margin. You also need to think about fatigue effects which can significantly lower breaking strength over time.

Far too many variables to consider this in any way, shape or form and "engineered" solution.

Sorry in advance, not meaning to wind anyone up with my comments...

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.