Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: thinking of changing my megasquirt to Omex
MikeRJ

posted on 2/12/10 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by atspeed racing
and it can be described as a misfire, so yes, stops working for a split second. sometimes this can happen on some ECUs when sending data to and from the ecu, especially if you have changed a bulk of the map at once, injectors for example may stop firing, or will lose connectivity with the laptop for a second

This is because writing to the flash program memory area where the maps are stored on many systems stalls the CPU bus, i.e. it can't read it's program memory whilst data is being written to it. It's not a question of CPU horsepower in this case, just the architecture of the device, and it's not really an issue since it only happens when you store settings during calibration.

However, I can't help feel that the problem with MS is the vast number of features that have been wedged in, coupled with hundreds of different firmware releases. The effort would have been better spent getting the basic system reliable and easy to use before the feature creep. The hardware is 'adequate', but the design of the PCB is poor in terms of grounding and they really missed a trick when they only included space for one ignition driver so you have to bodge extra ones in.

VEMS is a system that started out being based on MS (albeit with a faster Atmel AVR processor) but has since developed into a far better overall package.

[Edited on 2/12/10 by MikeRJ]

fatbaldbloke

posted on 2/12/10 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running an MS1 built by myself carefully 3 years ago, in a Westfield with a 175hp Zetec on throttle bodies. I set it up as near as I could, fine tuned on a RR, and it has never missed a beat, never failed to start. I can't remember the last time I even connected my pc to it.
I think, as has been said previously, the reputation has suffered a bit by those that have bought them to save money rather than those like me who bought them to learn about efi.

paulf

posted on 2/12/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I also built my own from scratch about 5 years ago and even though it is a MS1 v2.2 so considered outdated it has worked perfectly well with no hardware related problems.I am considering upgrading to a V3 unit but dont really know if i would gain anything in the process, im using an Edis for ignition as I consider it to be the most proven and sturdy option.
Paul
quote:
Originally posted by fatbaldbloke
I'm running an MS1 built by myself carefully 3 years ago, in a Westfield with a 175hp Zetec on throttle bodies. I set it up as near as I could, fine tuned on a RR, and it has never missed a beat, never failed to start. I can't remember the last time I even connected my pc to it.
I think, as has been said previously, the reputation has suffered a bit by those that have bought them to save money rather than those like me who bought them to learn about efi.

fatbaldbloke

posted on 3/12/10 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

im using an Edis for ignition as I consider it to be the most proven and sturdy option.

I run my ignition just the same, using EDIS4.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.