Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Best finish for gearbox?
ChrisW

posted on 1/12/10 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
Best finish for gearbox?

What's the general consensus in terms of finish for a gearbox? It's a cast ali casing, Ford 'BC' FWD box. I've got to strip the box down to fit the slippy diff, so whilst I'm in there I might as well do the bearings, and whilst I have all the parts out to do that I might as well get the thing looking the part.

I've cleaned it up, and obviously it shines nicely in bare ali, but it'll look crap again after a few weeks on the road.

Is it best to powder coat? Paint? Or some other suggestion?

I did think of anodising, but that's a bit over the top I think. I don't want 'bling', just clean and tidy so I'm proud to open the bonnet rather than having a rusty lump of iron in there.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
procomp

posted on 1/12/10 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
Satin black

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 1/12/10 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
Anodise in Black rather than red/yellow/blue?

Personally, I'd powercoat or similar.

Q: How does clutch fluid react with powdercoat if you get a leak?

Daddylonglegs

posted on 1/12/10 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
I've gone with Satin Black for the Bellhousing and Silver for the Main case. Looks fine, but ask me again after a few weeks on the road! (If I ever get it on the road that is )

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Macbeast

posted on 1/12/10 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
gearbox paint job
gearbox paint job

Hammerite

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

scootz

posted on 1/12/10 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Satin black

+1

It's Evolution Baby!

RazMan

posted on 1/12/10 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I would favour powder coat in silver to keep the 'fresh from the factory' look. If you go for a matt (or maybe satin) finish it will attract the dirt like a magnet. Black cars ALWAYS look dirty and a gearbox is a bugger to clean so you want something quite 'slippery' to dirt. Smoothrite is a good alternative.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

marc n

posted on 1/12/10 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
ive just painted my bmw engine and gearbox, did the gearbox 5 wheel silver aerosol and the engine matt black
also painted my hyabusa turbo engine main casings 5 wheel silver with the bolt on housings and casing in gloss black powdercoat and its transformed it no end, will post some pics this evening

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ChrisW

posted on 2/12/10 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I'm leaning towards powder coat in silver I think. The block is silver hammerite, and I've had the head and inlet manifold done in black powder coat, so should look good.

Thanks guys.

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.