<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: See what I have gone and done now? - Hippy upsetter
flak monkey

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
See what I have gone and done now? - Hippy upsetter

Well I always wanted one, so got one

Just driven back 120 miles without any major incidents :lol:

I was fed up with not being able to tinker with a car, as I can rarely leave anything alone! This one the insurance is cheap even with mods, and its pretty simple so I can play about to my hearts content or just leave it alone and drive it if I want to.

First impressions are very good, really enjoyed the drive back, was good fun, and its nice to have a car that makes the right noise. And its not that bad in the handling and stopping departments either although the steering is way too light

Sorry for the bad pics only just got back and its a bit dark now.

Its not perfect by any means, and no show car. But it was a very good price, I think. From first glance it looks like a very solid car, needs a few small patches here and there but nothing I wouldnt have expected. The arches are in very good condition as are the sills and bottoms of both doors. Rear floor also looks fairly solid. Needs a couple of small patches on the floor though.

Its a 305 V8, looks like a mid 80's lump, not original as the car was a V6. Recent recon gearbox (TH350) and sprayed last year and body looks sound underneath although most panels are a bit rippled.

And the list of things identified to put right has started growing already....

Stickers are all coming off!
Both door seals need completely replacing (priority job this one as it lives outside now)
Front drivers side brake disc needs replacing as heavily grooved - got one with the car
Pulls to the right sightly under heavy braking
Fuel gauge doesnt work - reads off the scale (full) when there is plenty of fuel, or reads empty when on reserve. Have a new sender.
Need to get underneath and identify and do any welding thats required - car has been undersealed in the past, so that may be a hinderance.
Bonnet hinges are both knackered and need replacing or rebuilding and springs fitting too.
Both doors need the hinges sorting as drivers door particularly saggy
Runs a bit hot when doing 70mph plus but seems fine in slow moving traffic - may be another reason for this...
...bogs down and clatters (probably detonation?) if you plant your foot to the floor and seems to miss sometimes at higher engine speeds, so seems to be running lean. So the carb needs stripping and checking - its a Carter carb, not sure of model or CFM.
Intermittently screeches at high speed, louder on overrun, sounds like a slack belt to me rather than a mechanical gear whine but needs investigation anyway
Power steering belt slips on full lock when manouvering
Interior needs ripping out and floor inspecting from inside, seems surface rusty, probably due to water ingress through door seals. Needs prepping and painting.
Wiring needs sorting as its a bit messy behind the dash.
Rev counter doesnt work - but car was originally a V6 so will probably require modification.
Dash tell tales for indicators arent functional
Drivers door handle needs replacing - again a spare came with the car.
Winscreen has a crack in the bottom corner, fine for the MOT though. Also foggy up both sides.
Booth door cards need sorting
Transmission tunnel top needs covering/trimming
Couple of oil leaks need tracing to see what the problem is
Small water leak at bottom hose to water pump.
Paint needs flatting and finishing properly

This makes it sound really bad, but the shell seems solid. It was registered in the UK in 1982 and was manufactured in 1980.

And lots of other little things - I am very fussy, so over time I hope to make the car a lot better. I am thinking of it more as an investment at the moment, if I enjoy it then I shall keep it. Its never going to be an original example so the idea is to just make it into a very capable street machine.

I already have plans for a 350 to fit in it, but I'll make a big dent in the other jobs first.

No idea what the MPG is and I dont actually mind that much as my mileage in a car is so low these days.

David

[Edited on 6/8/11 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

big_wasa

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
wow
blakep82

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
you have to keep the disturbin the peace one! thats brilliant
love it!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
A cruisin' gallion of epic proportions

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

PSpirine

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a very good base for a project!

Never really liked that shape to be honest (compared to the 1st gen!), but it's a good colour scheme and its road presence is much better than comes across in photos.

Definitely get rid of the stickers ASAP!

Parts from USA are incredibly good value as there will be lots of direct replacement/bolt on aftermarket goodies for it.

I reckon a black vinyl interior will completely transform it inside.

Benzine

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome video asap!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps Those exhausts are 3" with just a little cherry bomb in each about half way along.

Size wise its about the same as my GTO was, but a lot lighter (believe it or not!)

It would be nice to find a set of black vinyl front seats as the ones fitted arent original style, although they are comfy. The back seats are black vinyl.

I plan on changing it to a 5.7l next year, building up a nice engine over the winter as well as finishing my bike off. But I'll get the other jobs done first.

Sera

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
If you need parts, speak to Brassy at Mildenhall

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

deltron63

posted on 6/8/11 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson

I dont think so mate....He's retired !
I was speaking to him last week ( worked on his camper van )

Confused but excited.

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
tool.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

wylliezx9r

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
I love it, proper 80's muscle. Ugly (in a very masculine testosterone fuelled way), in your face and I bet its got a wicked burbly sound. Best of all it sticks two fingers up the nanny state daily mail readers that seem to have all the power in this country !

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

norfolkluego

posted on 6/8/11 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deltron63
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson

I dont think so mate....He's retired !
I was speaking to him last week ( worked on his camper van )

Is that the place that was opposite the brilliant greasy spoon place near Barton Mills, if so it's empty

aka_shortie

posted on 6/8/11 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
luv it, awesome!
VanHaydn

posted on 7/8/11 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
sweet

I often get confused between the rev counter and the fuel guage..they move about with the same intensity!
hehehehe!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 7/8/11 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
Buford T. Justice: Hey boy, where is Sheriff Branford at?
Sheriff Branford: I AM Sheriff Branford.
Buford T. Justice: Oh, pardon me. For some reason you sounded a little taller on radio.

Doctor Derek Doctors

posted on 7/8/11 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Cool as fuck.

I am massively jealous.

Designer and Supplier of the T89 Designs - Single Seater Locost. Build you own Single Seater Racecar for ~£5k.

Plans and Drawings available, U2U or e-mail for details.

Available Now: The Sports Racer Add-On pack, Build a full bodied Sports Racer for Trackdays, Sprints and Racing.

www.t89.co.uk
www.racecarwings.co.uk

callan@t89.co.uk

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
coozer

posted on 7/8/11 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
Very cool indeed David, I really need to hear it running.. lets have a walk round video of it ticking over with the hood up asap!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

flak monkey

posted on 7/8/11 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Very cool indeed David, I really need to hear it running.. lets have a walk round video of it ticking over with the hood up asap!!

I'll grab a vid when I get a chance, got a few other things to sort

Sera

Stuart_B

posted on 7/8/11 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
that looks cool, you do just have great taste in buying cars.

stu

black mk indy, 1.6pinto on cbr600 bike carb's.

flak monkey

posted on 14/8/11 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Been a long few days...

Changed the waterpump on thursday evening. Never flushed so much crap out of a cooling system. Its as clean as it's likely to get now. Of course it didn't all go to plan as my new fuel filter leaked so I had to sort that out as well. Needless to say it was a late night...

Yesterday I had planned to change the sump gasket and investigate the oil leaks further, but it turned out the engine is a 87 or later so has a one piece rear main seal. But as I had the car up on ramps I did a bit more digging and found that someone had decided to route the main power and charging cables between the headers and block... needless to say they were pretty fried. So I pulled them out and totally rewired the passenger side of the engine bay and rerouted all the cables around the edge of the engine bay. It was a bit of a mess, and I found out why several other things didnt work... And it looks like at least one oil leak is a pinhole in the sump.

I think who ever has done some of the rewiring on this car had a job lot of chocolate block connectors...they are everywhere. Pulled the dash board out today to try and find out why none of the warning lights worked. Turned out to mostly be bad connections. And now I think everything is working...

Then decided to tackle the oil pan on the transmission, before starting noticed a bolt missing from the gearbox mount and the remaining one halfway out. Tried to tighten it up and it wouldn't... M10 bolt in a 7/16UNC tread :roll: Thankfully the tread wasn't damaged, still mount out and bolted back in properly. Needs to come out again anyway as the mount is knackered.

Having dropped the exhaust and header off I now have a blowing exhaust, which seems to be coming from #4 exhaust port. Time to pull it off again and put a new gasket in.

Found a few patches of rust too, usual places though, some will be a pain to get to but I'll tackle them eventually.

This is the wiring that was awaiting me

Nicely roasted and mostly connected with chocolate blocks

So it was all pulled out and completely redone

And rerun well out of the way

Ok its not hidden away now, but I would rather know it isn't going to be melted and short out :roll:

Also fixed the headlights this morning as the main beam weren't working, found a wire 'repaired' with a scotchlock which seemed to have a bad connection. Spliced in a new piece of cable and it seems ok for the moment. Its all part of the drivers side engine bay wiring that will be getting tidied up and redone fairly soon anyway similar to what I have already done with the passenger side. After that its the massive job of the under dash wiring!

Now for some gratuitous pics....

And no F body would be complete without some rust! Although its pretty minor, like most I have found so far...

Sera

alistairolsen

posted on 14/8/11 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Good progress there, always satisfying to know things are done right, previous owners bodges are always a nightmare!

My Build Thread

scootz

posted on 14/8/11 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alistairolsen
... previous owners bodges are always a nightmare!

Tell me about it! I've only ever had a couple of pre-owned kit-cars that weren't bodged to high heaven!

It's Evolution Baby!

karlak

posted on 14/8/11 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
I love it

The guy who is helping me out with the use of his workshop while doing the MK indy conversion has just taken on a customers job. A complete refurb of a Camaro - I am so wanting a trip out in when it is ready. The new bellhousing arrived for it last week. Jeez,, Heavy duty does not come close to describing it

Description
Description

MK Indy - 2litre Duratec - Omex 600 - Jenvey throttle bodies - ETB DigiDash2

Peteff

posted on 14/8/11 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
When you say "driver's side" do you mean your driver's side or our driver's side? Near and off side might work. Is it just yellow cars that attract you, like a moth or something? It looks like it will keep you occupied for a while anyway and it's already done a good job for me, warning me off looking at old American cars. I've done a bit of welding on some in the past and it's usually easy to get at and find something to work back to. All the best with the project.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

coozer

posted on 14/8/11 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
WHERES THE RUMBLING VIDEO???!!!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.