Once I have stopped the exhaust blowing I'll post a vid

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

ReMan

posted on 16/8/11 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by karlak
I love it

The guy who is helping me out with the use of his workshop while doing the MK indy conversion has just taken on a customers job. A complete refurb of a Camaro - I am so wanting a trip out in when it is ready. The new bellhousing arrived for it last week. Jeez,, Heavy duty does not come close to describing it

Description
Description

That looks cracking

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

ReMan

posted on 16/8/11 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Once I have stopped the exhaust blowing I'll post a vid

Hurry up!
Good work, it doesnt look that bad , prezumably resprayed fairly recently?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

flak monkey

posted on 16/8/11 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Recent respray, but its crap. So its another job on the list.

Not that bothered to be honest, its not planned to be a show car, just quick

Sera

Miks15

posted on 16/8/11 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Loving the car david, very cool.

On a seperate note have you done any more with your bike build? Hopefully you are still planning on finishing it?

flak monkey

posted on 16/8/11 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
On a seperate note have you done any more with your bike build? Hopefully you are still planning on finishing it?

Not done anything on the bike for a few weeks. I know I am not going to get it on the road this year, so kind of saving it up for the long winter nights now. Its more or less ready to strip down for paint etc.

The car gives me something else to spend my time on during the summer

Sera

RK

posted on 16/8/11 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly for you and tragic for me, the parts for those things are the absolute cheapest there are, 2 km from my house at the infamous Canadian Tire. You can order whole engines from those guys if you want. Looks like a fun project for you though!

If you want something you can't track down over there, please don't hesitate to email or u2u me. They are seriously common over here.

flak monkey

posted on 16/8/11 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Great thank you I am after a couple of bits, will U2U you

Sera

matt.c

posted on 16/8/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
LOL cant wait to hear that rumbling up my road.

You are proper nuts aint you.

flak monkey

posted on 17/8/11 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
One video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C28riMVePE

Not sure what the sound is like as its off my camera.

Just changed the carb to a Holley as the old one was really knackered. Runs and starts much better now.

Sera

flak monkey

posted on 20/8/11 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Did the sump and gasket yesterday afternoon. Bit of a pain to do, but more fiddly than anything. I don't like laying under cars at the best of times, though rust in your eyes beats welding spatter in the ear any day.... As my engine is an 87 its the one with the single piece rubber gasket.

Transmission oil pan gasket - replaced the old cork one with a proper Felpro one

Transmission mount - old one completely disintegrated. Replaced with a new pattern part.

Alternator changed for a new unit - bearings shot in other one and it was all siezed together making stripping it nearly impossible.

Straightened out crank pulley - someone had damaged the rear groove meaning the power steering pump was being run on the wrong groove. Now fixed well enough for it to run properly. Fitted a new belt and now have a nice quiet power steering drive. No more squeaky belts

Front brake disc - failed....the one that was supplied with the car isn't right and takes a different sized outer bearing. So I need to order a new front disc/hub. Might do a brake upgrade while I am at it. May as well I suppose.

Good news is just been for a quick drive and the sump and transmission oil pan dont seem to be leaking any more. There is just another leak on the speedo cable as someone has damaged the thread so you can't do it up properly. Will have to just replace the cable...

Sera

flak monkey

posted on 21/8/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Still have a minor oil leak, but not enough to worry about now. Just a little at the front of the sump where it meets the timing cover. Could always stick some sealer in if i could be bothered, but the engine will be getting swapped soon anyway, so no major problem.

Also still have an intermittent whistling noise, loudest on overrun, quiet at cruise and stops under acceleration. Its not there all the time, and have yet to have it happen when idling, so finding it hard to pinpoint. I think it might be a vac leak somewhere so I have replaced the vac line down to the modulator on the transmission. It hadn't happened for ages, then started again today on and off. Loud enough to be annoying and embarrassing.

All the body seals/weather strips should arrive this week so I will be getting some of them fitted during the week. Though I will be holding off on the door mounted ones as I want to take the doors off and sort the bottom edges out properly as they have been badly repaired in the past. And I have to take them off to do the hinges anyway...

Also ordered an aluminium radiator and transmission cooler as my rad is leaking in more than one place and like a lot of things has been bodged to fit anyway. But that wont be here for another week or so.

So still loads to do...

Made a start on getting the parts together for my 355 build as well. 1968/69 4 bolt main block. Bored +.030". Just need to finsh swapping the core plugs, trimming up all the sharp edges and a few other bits. Also would like to get the block decked to 9.000" if I can find a machine shop to do it.

Also did a little work on the crank, nothing more than removing all the sharp edges as it was almost impossible to handle it without gloves. Its a nearly new crank from a crate Goodwrench engine that had only covered 1000miles when it was stripped. Its only a cast crank sadly, but I am not looking for more than 400bhp and will be keeping the rpm's down most of the time so hopefully it will be strong enough. I also gave the journals a quick polish up.

And these are the pistons, TRW L2304F. They are secondhand but unused, but I dont have much info about them. I think they are just over 10.5:1 with 64cc heads. The plan is to fit aluminium heads anyway so will see what I can find. Need to take a few high spots off from the crowns as well. Might give them a shine up as well.

So I am currently making a list of stuff to get. I was orginally planning on running a roller cam, but the price of all the hardware is putting me off big time. I dont want to end up running a high stall converter either as its a street car at the end of the day. So thinking about running a Lunati Voodoo 268/276 cam.

Need to get a full set of bearings and rings and a few other bits too... Hoping to have the engine built up before the end of the year and get it swapped over.

[Edited on 21/8/11 by flak monkey]

Sera

coozer

posted on 21/8/11 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Nice walk around David, sounds mint! Hope my Jago sounds like that.. low rumble.... Oooooo yes....

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Proby

posted on 21/8/11 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Nice project, looks and sounds great!!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.