Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ETB Digidash -flush ?
StuartBJ

posted on 12/9/11 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
ETB Digidash -flush ?

Hey Guys,

Is there an easy way to mount the ETB digidash flush? I have a fiberglass dash and I it looks like I will have to fabricate a pod/bracket to recess it in to and bind that to behind the dash...... unless there is an easier way?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks for the help

pekwah1

posted on 12/9/11 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I'm in the same position with my Acewell.
Think i'm just going to fabricate a pod that i can bond behind the dash.
I think if we protect the digidash properly we can just lay fibreglass strip round the sides and then get a flat piece for the back and bond it all together. Shouldn't be too much of a job hopefully!

dave107

posted on 12/9/11 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Made an Aluminium pod for mine and glassed it in then screwed through into back of digidash.

Have some photos i will try and upload into my photos for you tonight, does look good making that bit of effort to sink it into dash.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 12/9/11 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Could you not not vacuum form the unit, and trim around the form to leave a lip to bond onto the dash with? It wouldn't be utterly flush, but wouldn't protrude nearly as much. Or failing that, make a mould that's slightly deeper than the unit itself to set it flush?

Probably cost you a few beer tokens with a local company....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

skippad

posted on 12/9/11 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
I did similar to last post, made an aluminium backplate, used the template provided for screw holes, made spaces to same depth as Digi dash, bonded them to back of dashboard, carefully cut hole in dash for neat finish.
This way theres no screws showing on front of dash.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave107

posted on 13/9/11 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Stuart this is what i did for the digidash.

[img]http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/dave107photo/pic1138.jpg?t=1315848034[/img]

dave107

posted on 13/9/11 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Oh that didn't work i will try again or you can see the pod in my photos.
StuartBJ

posted on 13/9/11 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave107

Thanks there, nice tidy work did you bond it in after that? It looks quite robust from this angle.

I spoke to my local vac forming company today and there small jig may damage my digi dash and tpms guage unless I use a plug...... But he did tell me how to do it for free in the oven.

So.... Heat a piece of HIPS in the oven to 100 degrees and then with a hair dryer mould the polymer around the part...... Protect the part with a sacrificial layer (just incase).

I'm going to try a dummy run using the home baking method and if that fails revert to a good old fashion backplate and bond it in with some left over epoxy I have

gingerprince

posted on 13/9/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I just bent 4 aluminium strips in a flat z shape and screwed these to the back of the digidash and then the dash itself. No pics of the back but on one of these pics you should be able to see the screws that hold it to the dash. It's very secure.

http://www.stuffandting.com/gallery/cars/mycars/mk-indyblade/dash-retrim

McLannahan

posted on 13/9/11 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Is it not worth making the former out of a lump of mdf or similar?

quote:
Originally posted by StuartBJ
quote:

Thanks there, nice tidy work did you bond it in after that? It looks quite robust from this angle.

I spoke to my local vac forming company today and there small jig may damage my digi dash and tpms guage unless I use a plug...... But he did tell me how to do it for free in the oven.

So.... Heat a piece of HIPS in the oven to 100 degrees and then with a hair dryer mould the polymer around the part...... Protect the part with a sacrificial layer (just incase).

I'm going to try a dummy run using the home baking method and if that fails revert to a good old fashion backplate and bond it in with some left over epoxy I have

dave107

posted on 15/9/11 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Stuart

Underneath the tape there is a flange all the way around which i did glass over.

Dave

Hammy360

posted on 7/11/11 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Stuart this is what i did for the digidash.

[img]http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss67/dave107photo/pic1138.jpg?t=1315848034[/img]

Mate can you send me a link to your photos please

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.