Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just read on another forum MOT changes afoot
austin man

posted on 6/11/11 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Just read on another forum MOT changes afoot

I've just seen something about changes to the UK MOT (due to the wonderful EU again...) that potentially makes remaps and EGR blanking MOT failures.

I picked up on this in a Land Rover mag where they're saying that EGR blanking (very common on LR TD5 engines and remaps (again common) will be failures - kicking in from 1/1/12.

I haven't had chance to look into this much but got this from another forum...

For anyone with a remap, section 6.1.9 may be relevant.

6.1.9 Engine performance:
(a) Control unit illegal modified.
(b) Illegal engine modification.

Any one else shed light onto this

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

mistergrumpy

posted on 6/11/11 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
This may have been brought up on here before somewhere.
designer

posted on 6/11/11 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
This could be like Germany in that they only TUV (MOT) 'standard cars' or those with 'permitted' modification.

My cousin has to exchange his wheels and exhaust for 'approved' ones for the TUV, and then he puts them back on again.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 6/11/11 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
The problem with changing things to pass MOT then changing back is that you are illegal and that will void your insurance.
For our cars what is standard?
As it was built by us
As it is developed?
A grey area

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

britishtrident

posted on 6/11/11 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
It has been up for discussion for some time hardly surprising when you see the amount of black smoke produced by some re-mapped diesels, it would however be impossible to apply to older vehicles.

The EGR issue is different and in any event I would hazard that it is possible to render most EGR valves ineffective without leaving and outward visible signs or checksum errors or fault codes.

Eventually i think we will find that future emission tests are done by the interrogating the vehicles own ECU rather sticking a probe up the exhaust. This incidentally raise the the possibility of roadside checks being done by traffic police without VOSA inspectors and also making 6 monthly or yearly emission checks separate from a bi-annual MOT.

matt_gsxr

posted on 6/11/11 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
I guess the worry would be how this might find its way into IVA.

One model would be to lock the ECU at the time of the IVA, which would be a pain for those of us who like to continually change things.

The big stack of pre-94 bike engines in my shed are accumulating value by the day.

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 6/11/11 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
as previously mentioned (probably)would changing the ecu to an aftermarket one be deemed an illegal modification?

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

mrwibble

posted on 6/11/11 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
when does an aftermarket ecu become a manufacturers part, i.e in a home build... doesn't sound enforceable to me
britishtrident

posted on 6/11/11 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
As there is no requirement for home build to be EOBD compliant (yet!) it can't be applied to home builds. My guess is in few years home bulds will not be allowed.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

omega 24 v6

posted on 6/11/11 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
What about all the race/track/rally cars that are also road legal. Most if not all are modified from std.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

rusty nuts

posted on 6/11/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Another new MOT requirement is to have a speedo fitted In typical EU fashion it doesn't need to work!
iank

posted on 6/11/11 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
I've just seen something about changes to the UK MOT (due to the wonderful EU again...) that potentially makes remaps and EGR blanking MOT failures.

I picked up on this in a Land Rover mag where they're saying that EGR blanking (very common on LR TD5 engines and remaps (again common) will be failures - kicking in from 1/1/12.

I haven't had chance to look into this much but got this from another forum...

For anyone with a remap, section 6.1.9 may be relevant.

6.1.9 Engine performance:
(a) Control unit illegal modified.
(b) Illegal engine modification.

Any one else shed light onto this

I'm of the opinion that the key word here is illegal. The wording is quite consistent with there being legal and illegal modifications.
An illegal modification might be one that increases the CO2 above the level applied for a modern car's tax class. If your within the emissions levels you're being taxed on and have disclosed all the modifications to your insurer then as far as I can see your modifications are legal as I'm not aware of any laws saying you can't change components (though no doubt the big car manufacturers would like us to be under TUV levels of only manufacturer approved parts allowed).

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

austin man

posted on 6/11/11 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Can any MOT testers on here shed any light, its probably just some more scare mongering

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

britishtrident

posted on 6/11/11 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding from other sources last year was the key word is "unauthorised" rather than "illegal" with regard to engine management mods.

[/I]

mad-butcher

posted on 6/11/11 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting on the EGR on my Japanese imported (grey import) Mitsi Pajero 2.8 turbo I've blanked the EGR off, Strangely the officially imported Pajero (Shogun) version of my engine doesn't have an EGR fitted at all.

tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DRC INDY 7

posted on 6/11/11 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
MOT test for cars
New mandatory test items from 2012

If you've been happily ignoring a warning light because it's not checked in the MOT you could be facing an MOT failure and an expensive repair bill in 2012 because of changes to the test.

The Department for Transport is adding a number of new mandatory test items to the annual MOT from 1 January 2012 to comply with a revised European testing directive.

The aim of the revised directive (2009/40/EC) is to harmonise minimum test requirements across Europe and make sure the test reflects the electrical/electronic complexity of modern car safety features.

VOSA, the government agency responsible for the MOT, has indicated that 'failures' relating to the new test items will be treated as 'advisories' in the first three months. This means that if you have any of the following problems with your car you've got until the first MOT renewal date after 1 April 2012 to get it fixed.
The main changes from 2012
Electronic parking brake
Electronic parking brake controls are now included and must be present and not inappropriately repaired or modified - repair obviously likely to adversely affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle or modification that has seriously weakened the component.

(The 'inappropriately repaired or modified' check is to be applied to a wide range of systems and components throughout the vehicle.)

The car will fail if an Electronic Parking Brake warning lamp is illuminated to indicate a malfunction.

Electronic Stability Control
Checks of antilock brakes will be extended to include Electronic Stability Control if fitted. The tester will check for the presence and correct operation of the ESC malfunction warning light together with looking for obviously missing, excessively damaged or inappropriately repaired or modified components and electrical wiring, as well as an ESC switch missing, insecure or faulty.

Warning lights
As well as electronic parking brake and electronic stability control warning lights (where fitted) the MOT test will also include checks for the correct function of the following, where fitted;

Headlight main beam warning light
Electronic power steering warning light
Brake fluid level warning light
Tyre pressure monitoring system warning light
Air bag warning light
Seat belt pre-tensioner warning light
Steering & suspension
The new test includes a check on the presence and correct function of the steering lock where fitted as standard.

Missing, or split/damaged dust covers on steering and suspension ball-joints will result in failure if they will allow dirt to enter the joint.

Power steering fluid level must be above the minimum level indicated on the reservoir.

Lighting
Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights can cause dazzle if they are dirty or aimed too high so car manufacturers must fit headlamp cleaning and levelling systems. A car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective.

Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

If a headlamp bulb is not seated correctly the resulting beam pattern will be indistinct and this will result in a test fail.

Electrical wiring and battery
An insecure battery will be a reason for failure as will a battery that is leaking electrolyte.

Visible wiring that is insecure, inadequately supported or likely to cause a short will also result in a failure as will wires bared by damaged insulation.

Trailer/caravan electrical socket
There will be a basic security/damage check of 7-pin sockets,

13-pin sockets will be subject to a full electrical connectivity check and incorrectly connected or inoperative circuits will result in failure.

Tyres
Tyre pressure monitoring systems fitted to vehicles first registered after 1 January 2012 must be working correctly and not indicating a malfunction.

Supplementary restraints
The vehicle will fail the test if any airbag fitted as original equipment is obviously missing or defective.

A seatbelt pre-tensioner fitted as original equipment but missing or that has obviously deployed will be a reason for failure.

Seatbelt load limiters that are missing where fitted as standard or folding webbing type limiters that have obviously deployed are also reasons for failure.

The vehicle will also fail if an SRS malfunction light is missing, not working or indicating a fault.

Speedometer
The car will fail if a speedometer is not fitted, is incomplete, inoperative, has a dial glass broken/missing or cannot be illuminated.

Seats
It must be possible to secure the driver's seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism in two or three different positions. On electric seats the motors must move the seat fore and aft.

Doors
A rear door that cannot be opened from the outside using the relevant control is a new reason for failure.

Doors must be easy to open and close – hinges, catches and pillars will be inspected.

Towbars
Inappropriate repair or modification to the towbar assembly will be a reason for failure if judged likely to affect the roadworthiness of the vehicle/trailer.

Exhaust
A catalytic convertor fitted as original equipment but missing will be a reason for failure.

Fuel system
Damaged or chafed fuel pipes will result in failure

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

DixieTheKid

posted on 6/11/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Crickey!

COS IT'S Worth IT

iank

posted on 6/11/11 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing on that list looks unreasonable.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

focijohn

posted on 6/11/11 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
That's a more detailed list than I've had through on special notices. I've not yet read or seen that props shaft uj's with serious ware will be rfr?
I've also not heard anything about the 4-2-2 testing scedule which was also proposed. It's about time that the mot got shaken up and seriously looked into, there's not doubt that it's saving lives but there are so many areas that need improving and reworking. For example the pas fluid check that's comming in..... as an mot tester I cannot remove the cap off the reservoir to inspect the level of the fluid. Next time your under your bonnet see if it can be checked without removing.
I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

BenB

posted on 6/11/11 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Wot about

Seats
It must be possible to secure the driver's seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism in two or three different positions. On electric seats the motors must move the seat fore and aft.

Hands up anyone who's got no runners on their seats?

morcus

posted on 7/11/11 at 03:27 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking the seat thing seemed abit dodgy and I'm sure some big manufacturers make cars with fixed seats so I'm guessing that they only have to move if they're on runners. You know what else it means, there won't even be the slim chance you get now of gettingyour car back with the seat in the same place.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

britishtrident

posted on 7/11/11 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
It was only in the 1930s that seats became adjustable, vans made to Post Office specifications had non-adjustable seats well into the 1970s also a lot of ex-millitary require the use of a spanner to move the seat.

[/I]

eddie99

posted on 7/11/11 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
My alfa is never going to make it through an MOT if they fail a warning light , Although most of it seems reasonable enough.

[Edited on 7/11/11 by eddie99]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MikeRJ

posted on 7/11/11 at 11:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
The problem with changing things to pass MOT then changing back is that you are illegal and that will void your insurance.

How will it void your insurance as long as the modifications are declared?

Neville Jones

posted on 7/11/11 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
As there is no requirement for home build to be EOBD compliant (yet!) it can't be applied to home builds. My guess is in few years home bulds will not be allowed.

Home builds along with manufacturers one-offs and low volume will continue, undoubtedly.

BUT, the change will be to a system where every change/alteration/modification will have to be checked by an approved engineer and a compliance plate for every changed item fitted to the car. Just like Australia, and Germany.

Home and low volume builds will have to be overseen by a VOSA/DVLA registered engineer, and in many cases I heartily approve. Shame is, the more meticulous builders get penalised by the need for these changes, because of the halfarsed builders and chavs.

Cheers,
Nev.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.