Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Just read on another forum MOT changes afoot
coyoteboy

posted on 7/11/11 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
Be interesting to see if the CAT rules are upheld - there'll be a fair few folk (pretty much every owner) stuck with my tin-top who've binned the CAT as it wasn't in the test. Fairly sure you'd struggle to get them these days - Toyota have stopped producing a lot of the parts and there's no room to speak of for an after-market item in the downpipe.
focijohn

posted on 8/11/11 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
I can't see the problems with the CAT's as long as it goes through the Emissions, personally sat here right now if it was pre 92 and it went through the emissions, which is just an idle test with higher limits, I would poss look the other way. Usually if a post 92 car has no cat it will put the readings through the roof and fail anyhow. Once people get wind, it will end up with the saxo squad smashing the internals out and then moaning when they have to buy a type approved cat.

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

T66

posted on 8/11/11 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
My Lada never went near passing its emissions test, and I doubt the Fiat will do much better......

My Land Rover has an egr bypass, no visible smoke, but as of next year an mot fail ..... marvelous !

Is this bit of legislation dreamed up by a grey man (wanker) from the UK, or a grey man (wanker) from the EU department of grimness ?

Can nobody tell them, it doesnt matter how clean European car exhausts are , and remind them of the 40,000,000 Honda step throughs in Asia running on coal & tar, and then theres the millions of factories belching out zillions of tons of nasties, which Euro legislation cannot change.

But at least the grey men can sleep at nights knowing they have sent yet more vehicles to the scrap piles in China.

How much carbon does the car industry produce ? Err nobody knows, but I bet its more than the emissions from the cars in Europe.

focijohn

posted on 9/11/11 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
My Lada never went near passing its emissions test, and I doubt the Fiat will do much better......

My Land Rover has an egr bypass, no visible smoke, but as of next year an mot fail ..... marvelous !

Is this bit of legislation dreamed up by a grey man (wanker) from the UK, or a grey man (wanker) from the EU department of grimness ?

Can nobody tell them, it doesnt matter how clean European car exhausts are , and remind them of the 40,000,000 Honda step throughs in Asia running on coal & tar, and then theres the millions of factories belching out zillions of tons of nasties, which Euro legislation cannot change.

But at least the grey men can sleep at nights knowing they have sent yet more vehicles to the scrap piles in China.

How much carbon does the car industry produce ? Err nobody knows, but I bet its more than the emissions from the cars in Europe.

The emission limits havn't changed as far as I'm aware so would fail be it this year or next. RE the landy, I've a 300tdi discovery I also have blocked off the egr... all I've done is put a piece of tin in the mix to block the recirculation, you'd never no as ive left the valve in place...mot pass.

From the little info that i have heard and recieved, it is due to Eu bits which is also why there was/is talk about 4-2-2 testing. 4 years for new cars then every 2 years and then back to anually for cars over 10years old, which is frightening when you consider that the MOT means your car has met a MINIMUM standard.

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

britishtrident

posted on 9/11/11 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I predict eBay will be full of cunning blanking plates that leave no external sign the egr has been to the vets.

ISTR in the USA car manufacturers are now required to warranty emission related parts for 8 years/80,000 miles. It pays to renew the upstream sensor as the engine mileage approaches 100,000 miles as it makes getting through the emission test easier and improves fuel consumption.

From cars to Euro 3 standards with a downstream (post-cat) lambda sensor the downstream sensor monitors the cat performance during the drive cycle test, the engine management should flag up if the cat isn't on song.

DRC INDY 7

posted on 14/11/11 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Just to update i have spoken with vosa man today and its all to do with having a set standard in europe
which means we have to add a few items to the test some other countries have to add a lot of items to there test and places like germany etc have to stop testing certain items to bring all the countries in to line

1 for example fuel leak petrol is a fail but gas leak not tested till the jan 2012

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

MikeRJ

posted on 14/11/11 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
Be interesting to see if the CAT rules are upheld - there'll be a fair few folk (pretty much every owner) stuck with my tin-top who've binned the CAT as it wasn't in the test. Fairly sure you'd struggle to get them these days - Toyota have stopped producing a lot of the parts and there's no room to speak of for an after-market item in the downpipe.

As always, it's who you know rather than what you know. The exhaust probe doesn't know which vehicles tailpipe it's sitting in...

coyoteboy

posted on 15/11/11 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
No, I guess not, but that assumes you've not recently moved and not yet managed to find a reliable MOT man!
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.