Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sold a car with a fault
scootz

posted on 22/12/11 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'm fine thanks.

My backs still a (literal) PITA, but it hasn't worsened any... so reasons to be grateful and all that!

It's Evolution Baby!

mookaloid

posted on 22/12/11 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
A small point but it hasn't been mentioned yet - Don't negotiate with him!

If you pay him anything at all then that will be seen by a court as an admission of liability and opens you up for a full claim.

Cheers

Mook

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

cd.thomson

posted on 22/12/11 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, the communication (SMS based?!) has ceased without me giving an inch. I'm actually not sure if he can serve me at all until he states his claim in writing through the post. The fact that he has immediately threatened me with court action appears to be specifically frowned upon by the Establishment.

Craig

l0rd

posted on 22/12/11 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just trying to get some money back for xmas or thinks he overpaid for it.

And what exactly is the problem with the axle?

Did he say anything about it?

jase380

posted on 22/12/11 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
As everyone has said, don't worry about it, he can't do anything. I had the same situation with a car i sold last year, bloke bought it then emailed me 2 weeks later saying he had a bill for 1200 quid from mitsubishi for a new cambelt, tensioners and a cam oil seal.... all of which i told him needed doing and listed in the advert, he wanted me to pay half, i politely told him to read the ad again then fcuk off. He threatened court action but i never bothered to reply to any of his emails or texts and never heard anything else from the tit. The car had been mot'd 3 days before he collected it so i was happy there were no problems other than the ones listed in the add.

Ignore him, he'll get bored and go back to watching jeremy kyle.

Brook_lands

posted on 23/12/11 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cd.thomson
Yeah, the communication (SMS based?!) has ceased without me giving an inch. I'm actually not sure if he can serve me at all until he states his claim in writing through the post. The fact that he has immediately threatened me with court action appears to be specifically frowned upon by the Establishment.

The accepted approach is that a Notice Before Action is sent to show that there has been some attempt to resolve it out of court, however there is nothing to stop him going straight to legals. Even after he has coughed up his £35 to instigate action there will be an offer of mediation to try and sort it before it goes before a Judge. Probably a waste of time in this case as I can't see any reason why you would want to offer anything.

In my experience when a man says "its not the money its the principle" 99% of the time its the money! I would be very suprised if court papers turn up for this but stranger things happen, if they do it looks very defendable from what you have said.

Ninehigh

posted on 2/1/12 at 06:24 AM Reply With Quote
About this time last year we decided to get the 106 back on the road, it needed a new rear axle, some rear drum parts and a sticky calliper sorted out. I mention this because the axle cost us £200 refurbed from a scrappy, and for the past 6 years I'd been arguing with the missus that her car looked like it was trying to cock its leg (it really had one wheel at an odd angle, and the past two tests it was scrubbing against the wheel arch)

So if there really is a problem I'm sure you would have seen it (as it would have been like that for some time) and a 50% recompense would really only be a serious offer if you'd sold it for about £250...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.