Poll: How many of us have MX5s? [View Results]
I have one.
I used to.
I don't and never have.

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How many of us have MX5s?
pewe

posted on 6/8/12 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Regarding TF's a mate of mine is on his 3rd and speaks highly of them as a cost effective buy.
Must have something to do with them having MX5 components - most obviously the hood mechanism, throttle pedal etc.
He has a tame specilaist near Windsor who fettles the head gasket issue once and for all for c.£400.
Cheers, Pewe10

stevegough

posted on 6/8/12 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, guys (and girls) this forum is called 'LOCOSTBUILDERS'. and if that isn't clear enough for you, its all about peeps building, driving and fettling their home - built creations.

Now MX5s are things you nip to the local car dealers for, part with readies and drive away. Nothing big and clever about it, its just another mass produced box - everyone and their dog has one.

May I draw your attention to " http://www.mx-5.com/Forum/ " which is a forum for all you hairdressers.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

40inches

posted on 6/8/12 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevegough
Sorry, guys (and girls) this forum is called 'LOCOSTBUILDERS'. and if that isn't clear enough for you, its all about peeps building, driving and fettling their home - built creations.

Now MX5s are things you nip to the local car dealers for, part with readies and drive away. Nothing big and clever about it, its just another mass produced box - everyone and their dog has one.

May I draw your attention to " http://www.mx-5.com/Forum/ " which is a forum for all you hairdressers.

Blimey! I find myself agreeing with Mr Gough, must go and have a lay down!!!

Irony

posted on 6/8/12 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Not really a valid poll. Sorry Why would you click on the link if you've never had a MX5. All owners and previous owners will click the link skewing the results.

Kind Regards

Nit - Picker

Steve Hignett

posted on 6/8/12 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony
Not really a valid poll. Sorry Why would you click on the link if you've never had a MX5. All owners and previous owners will click the link skewing the results.

Kind Regards

Nit - Picker

Quite bizarre then that the current results are heavily in favour of the result you state won't get ticked at all!

(i think!)

richardh

posted on 6/8/12 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
that's the point (i think)

its been a bloody long day but that's how i read it. lol

Time for a change!

silky16v

posted on 6/8/12 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
Here is my toy and the Wife's MX5

2006 NC 2.0 with some mods and had the front bumper smoothed out, totally awesome car and i borrow every chance i get
the MK3 shape can be bought now for under 5k, but make sure you go for a 2.0 as they have LSD as standard

[Edited on 6/8/12 by silky16v]

TimC

posted on 6/8/12 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irony

Kind Regards

Nit - Picker

It's called non-response bias.

Anyhoo, I've had one and my Fiancée has one. Incidentally, if anyone has £3100 burning a hole in their pocket and wants a 50k mile 10AE in lovely condition (no rusty sills here) please let me know. It may not get up the steep forestry commission track to our new house. Will consider a swap for a tidy 4x4!

whitestu

posted on 6/8/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

There was only one decent 90s hot hatch, and you'd pay significantly more for it than for an MX5

What would that be then?!

Stu

vanepico

posted on 6/8/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
My bro wants one, any tips on what to look for in one? I know they are 10 to the penny so spares should be cheap.

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

franky

posted on 6/8/12 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
My bro wants one, any tips on what to look for in one? I know they are 10 to the penny so spares should be cheap.

Rust, A missing 50bhp and hair clippings

vanepico

posted on 7/8/12 at 05:20 AM Reply With Quote
Haha I'll be sure to pass that on

IMO MX5s have lost all that made them fricken awesome, since those bloody EU laws preventing flip up headlights, there will never be a cool car again

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

silky16v

posted on 7/8/12 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
Haha I'll be sure to pass that on

IMO MX5s have lost all that made them fricken awesome, since those bloody EU laws preventing flip up headlights, there will never be a cool car again

what a sweeping statement The Current model is the best of bunch with the correct engine output what the MX5 always never had

I've driven the MK1 and thought it was gutless and very clunky the MK2/2.5 was better but lacked the engine power
The current model with the 2.0 engine is superb handling is superb once correctly setup and the standard 4x4 springs are replaced with the correct height they where suppose to come with.

but each to own i've maybe got the best of both world got the MNR for all out fun and blasting around and the wifes MX5 when i want the comfort and luxury coupled with awesome handling and a decent engine that makes it go like it should

kipper

posted on 7/8/12 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
silky .you have smoothed the front bumper out too much? you've rubbed the front number plate away
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

silky16v

posted on 7/8/12 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kipper
silky .you have smoothed the front bumper out too much? you've rubbed the front number plate away
Denis.

lol exactly how it should be and how they where designed to be, its just stupid euro regulation make you have front numbers plates and had to have all euro MX5 MK3 raised by 25mm

even Mazda offered the bilstein lowering kit to all new mk3 mx5's bought to make them sit right

there is now a front number plate on the car cut down and fixed using plastic bolts in the honeycomb of the front grill

D Beddows

posted on 7/8/12 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
It's because a lot of us don't have the money we had 5 or so years ago the MK1 is the one to have as it's the simplest and has the pop up headlights, as standard they are a bit underwhelming but spend a couple of grand on it and it will perform and handle as well as your average kit car and you'll still have at LEAST a couple of grand in the bank over even the cheapest decent kit. If I had the money I had before the world went wrong and my little lad came along would I have one? nope - I'm I happy with it considering? 110% yes

Oh and Steve - MX5Nutz for the locostbuilders type mx5 site

Jubal

posted on 7/8/12 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I have the other hairdresser's car, a mk3 MR2. It's a TTE turbo so maybe about 200bhp. £3k gets you into one, with track mods I'm now into low end kit car budget but it's a formidable toy, refined in comparison and still good to hustle around the track. Dry when it rains too! I still hanker after another kit which I why I pop into the for sale forum every day but nothing has taken my fancy.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.