Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance for Cyclists
RIE

posted on 7/8/12 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
On the insurance question, I think the Personal Liability of a Household insurance policy would kick in if there is no other policy in force.

Of course, Household insurance is not compulsory, so no guarantee they have it.

David Jenkins

posted on 7/8/12 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
Come a be a pedestrian in London sometime. A number of us have been killed by cyclists ignoring red lights. My route from the station to my office means I cross three light controlled crossings, at least one will have a cyclist ignore it every time, and that doesn't count those who are too scared/lazy/looking for a short cut and decide to cycle on the pavement instead.

I have happy memories of the time when I was crossing near to Liverpool St station, next to a well-dressed elderly man with an umbrella. We got the green light, walked forward and a bike went straight through... or, at least, he would have if he hadn't got an umbrella through the spokes of his rear wheel! The cyclist got up, fighting mad, and eventually got charged by a PC who had seen the whole incident.

Fair made my day....

rusty nuts

posted on 7/8/12 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico

I can't think of a single situation where a cyclist could be at fault, its not like they are fast enough to cut you up, and then it is always the car driver who does that anyway. The difference between the damage a bike can do to a car and the damage a car can do to a cyclist is astronomical.

Try driving in Cambridge , you'll see loads of situations where the cyclist is at fault, riding through red lights, the wrong way down one way streets , no lights, riding on pavements where cycling is specifically banned. Shall I go on??

coyoteboy

posted on 7/8/12 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Clearly there's no doubt cyclists can cause damage and injury. As can pedestrians. I've had to avoid pedestrians who jogged out into the road unexpectedly, one time clipping a kerb and writing off a tyre. And if you want to live in a place like switzerland you can, I believe, kiss your modified cars goodbye and live in a world (compulsory?) national service. Not sure it's my cup of tea.

I think pedestrians should have insurance too. Especially kids, they're virtually uncontrolled these days. And dogs - dogs run out all the time, they do some damage if you hit them.

Use some perspective. What we need is better drive (and cyclist) training. I (and many others) propose that if you're going to
get a driving license you should ideally first spend plenty of time on a bike in a city and on fast roads so you can see how vulnerable cyclists are. It's funny how, when some people have decided to switch from driving to cycling to work one of the first discussions they have with you is "my god, I didn't realise how scary it is - cars just seem to come at you from all angles and overtake at 3x your speed a foot from your elbow", or words to that effect. I believe this experience makes them better drivers. If we all took a bit more time, relaxed a bit and treated each other with a bit more respect (and all obeyed the laws of the road) there would be much fewer issues and much fewer aggrivations.

[Edited on 7/8/12 by coyoteboy]

matt_gsxr

posted on 7/8/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
I think pedestrians should have insurance too. Especially kids, they're virtually uncontrolled these days. And dogs - dogs run out all the time, they do some damage if you hit them.
[Edited on 7/8/12 by coyoteboy]

Can we add bumble-bees and pigeons to the list who need insurance.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.