Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DVLA inspection tomorrow - Should i change my VIN?
parkiboy

posted on 15/8/12 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA inspection tomorrow - Should i change my VIN?

Hi, quick question i have my DVLA inspection tomorrow and wondering if i should change my VIN beforehand.

MK issued me with a 17 digit vin starting with MKINDYR2012, which is whats stamped in but when i got my IVA cert it said MK1NDYR2012 as they apparently cant use the letter I.

I do have chassis stamps so can change the I to a 1 however getting it exactly on top of the other may be a bit harder so dont want to make a mess of it.

Also the Sticker they printed up says MKINDYR2012 (but i dont think this sticker is a requirement?)

Davegtst

posted on 15/8/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
The sticker is the chassis plate so it is needed. Unless you can get a new chasis plate made up and fitted before the inspection I think you are probably best to leave it as it is and hope they don't notice. I changed the I that was stamped into the chasis into a 1 and had a new plate made up to match. Personally I would have tried to sort this before the inspection just incase. You can get a plate made up quite quickly and cheaply by a local trophy shop mine cost about £17.
parkiboy

posted on 15/8/12 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
I thought you had a plate welded in instead of a chassis stamp? Mine doesn't have a plate it is stamped into the chassis instead
Davegtst

posted on 15/8/12 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
On mine I have a strip of steel with the vin number stamped in then welded to the lower o/s chassis just infront of the brake master cylinder. I also have the plate mounted on the scuttle panel. I got rid of the sticker and got the plate made up as the vin number was wrong.
jrrsparky

posted on 15/8/12 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
We had our MK IVAd at nottingham last year with the MK sticker on the bulkhead ( as required for IVA ) and an I stamped in the chassis plate with no problems but the documents all have a 1 on insted of the I.
parkiboy

posted on 15/8/12 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'll just have to take my chances I was only told yesterday I might have an issue. I figured it would be fine as mk gave me it and I figure they would know there stuff! Why do they insist on giving people MKINDY? Bein in the car building business Surely they should know that it is not allowed?
parkiboy

posted on 15/8/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jrrsparky
We had our MK IVAd at nottingham last year with the MK sticker on the bulkhead ( as required for IVA ) and an I stamped in the chassis plate with no problems but the documents all have a 1 on insted of the I.

They didn't question it on the iva but I can see dvla being arseholes about it

paulf

posted on 15/8/12 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Stamp it on a bit of plate and then sika flex it over the top of the original and give it a coat of paint, it will look as if its a permanent fixture.
Paul

adithorp

posted on 16/8/12 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
The chassis number on my Furyhas an "I" in it as given tome by the (then) supplier.

It was raised as a possible problem for me with DVLA by the SVA inspector but hadn't been mentioned by DVLA when they got the paper work. At DVLA inspection it was spotted and I was passed but told, "but change that to an 1". Think it's still an "I" as I can't remember ever getting around to it. Guess it'll just depend on your inspector.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

parkiboy

posted on 16/8/12 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
I changed it to a 1 on the chassis but left it as an I on the sticker and nothing got said, went through fine.

The inspector was spot on to be fair, even shared my views on the inspection being a waste of time if you have he an iva, I was as unhappy with te dvla wasting my time as I was!

The dvla are prats though, he said he will got it processed this afternoon and sent out today so I asked If I could pick it up this evening instead, that's no longer allowed in order to try keep their queue times down!

Davegtst

posted on 16/8/12 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Good news
parkiboy

posted on 16/8/12 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
It sure was! It's just a waiting game yet again now however he was confident I would have it tomorrow or Saturday!

Fingers crossed!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.