Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Tin-top recommendations
bigandy

posted on 8/1/13 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
New Tin-top recommendations

Hi folks,

SWMBO and I are expecting our second little 'un this year, and it has drawn into question our car. We have a little 07 plate Fabia vRS (mk1 version), and it is already a bit tight for space if we go away for a few days. So, we are wondering about getting a larger car to fit all the guff in associated with us pair and two little ones under the age of 3.

I don't have too many requirements, just that it can fit in a pushchair, two car seats, a travel cot, and a couple of holdall type bags, plus some toys etc. Oh, and the four of us too. Ideally, I would like something that is nippy, at least as good as the Fabia is performance wise, preferably a bit more if possible! I'm not too fussed about petrol or diesel, it will only be doing about 7000 miles per year, mostly short trips of 5-10 miles or so, with the occasional longer run. Sensible servicing costs and tyre costs would be nice too.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Our budget is around 10k, possibly a little more if I can scrape together some more cash.

up to now I've consider an Octavia estate (vRS), and that's about it...

Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

BangedupTiger

posted on 8/1/13 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Only mpv with decent performance I can think of os the zafira vxr.

Cheap to maintain and run, plus you'll get plenty of change from your budget.

Slimy38

posted on 8/1/13 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
My first suggestion would also have been an Octavia vrs if you're happy with the Fabia. Although the saloon version might be sufficient for what you need.

I am extremely biased though, I want one!

britishtrident

posted on 8/1/13 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Something VW group or Ford or Mazda or Toyota it also might be worth a trip to your local Kia or Hyundai dealers to check if they have any 2010 or 2011 trade-ins or ex-demos.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

robinj66

posted on 8/1/13 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
I also liked the Octavia VRS as a replacement for my Leon FR. Unfortunately you won't get the latest spec for that money. Instead I ended up with a 2.0 diesel Mondeo (140) which has the same room as the Octavia, is still quite nippy and is comfortable for the family ( I found the VRS to be a little on the firm side - great for me but not so for the family).

I got a 10 plate hatch for £9800 in February. Worth a look

tegwin

posted on 8/1/13 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
How about something like this?
2001 Audi RS4 2.7 TWIN TURBO

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

roadrunner

posted on 8/1/13 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
I have just got an Audi A4 Quattro 2.0t fsi Avant.

Great car, cracking handling, even better if you put the RS rear anti roll bar on for less than £100. Plus for £150 ish you can remap upto 250bhp.
On long runs it is quite frugal for a turbo petrol.
Plus , they hold there value too.

Brad.

twybrow

posted on 8/1/13 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
For your mileage, I would xteer well clear of a diesel - they are more expensive to buy and to service - you woul dneed to be doing more than 15k a year to make it worth considering.

Octavia VRS would be great - you could easily get into one about the same age as your Fabia for that budget...

I would also suggest a 3 series beemer, a passat or an A4 as above...

For a bit more leftfield, you might want to look at an Impreza (WRX), or even a larger hatchback such as a Focus (ST). Personally, I would avoid Vauxhalls like a plague!

roadrunner

posted on 8/1/13 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
Just to add, the insurance quotes on the Quattro where quite a lot cheaper than any other car I was looking at , at the time.
Skoda Octavia VRS
Audi A4 diesel
VW Passat.
Dont know why a 200bhp petrol car would be cheaper to insure than a 140bhp diesel, but the difference easily covered the difference in road tax.

Brad.

sdh2903

posted on 8/1/13 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
focus st no good space wise, I have one and its a squeeze with kids in the back. Echo the comments about insurance, I really don't know what they're on lately, my St was 45 quid cheaper than the 320d I had previously, 2.5 turbo petrol vs 2.0 diesel?

anyway back to the subject, if you want lots of space the Smax is a great car and you can a 2.5t one too. if you could live with a regular estate the Audi is a good shout, expensive to buy but hold their money. 3 or 5 series tourer with a 3.0 petrol would be worth a look too.

Rosco

posted on 8/1/13 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
An out of the box suggestion maybe, but if you like your existing motor and just need extra space for the odd long journey then perhaps consider a roof box. You only need all that baby stuff for a couple years, unless your planning more, so seams a shame to buy a lumbering monster for that. Keep the cash in your pocket.

I used to have a big Volvo that I convinced myself I needed, but then realised we only need the space a few times a year for trips to the tip and the odd campling weekend. So I downsized and got a little trailer.

BangedupTiger

posted on 8/1/13 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
That audi is very nice, but its £5k over budget and 12 years old. Focus st is way too small and too thirsty.

When doing 5-10 min journeys and 7,000 miles a year I wouldnt even consider a diesel. I'd only look at turbo'd petrol.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

JoelP

posted on 8/1/13 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
We're in the same position as you and manage fine with a jeep Cherokee or an a6 Quattro. Both need packing well for hols though. A roof box is a good solution. Beware old fast audis , they take a lot of maintaining.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Dave Ashurst

posted on 8/1/13 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
I know you can be put off by the diesel, but these are allegedly OK and achieve around 50mpg with full-time 4x4 and limited-slip differentials, plus the gear-driven camshafts mean there are no cambelts to worry about.

Linky: Diesel Subaru perhaps?

Time will tell how bombproof the innovative, smooth-running, lightweight, all-aluminium-with-integral-cast-iron-cylinder-linings, boxer diesel engine is. Perhaps there are some reviews out there..

skodaman

posted on 8/1/13 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Porsche Boxster is now within budget and leave the kids at home.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.