Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Advise please
p2ccolo

posted on 6/2/13 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
Advise please

I'm currently strongly considering putting down a deposit for a CEC I know of, but just wanted some opinions on it with regards to engine in particular.

The engine I have been told is a Toyota Mr2/corolla 1600cc twin cam (HPI check shows year of manufacture as 1988 - i presume the year of manufacture is regards to the engine?) In any event I know that engine is quite old - MK1, and the original milage is unknown. Theres been 4000 miles sinse the car was built/registered in 2002. It is also supercharged.

So my question is, should the age of this engine put me off? (I intend to drive quite spiritedly and do track days). It would cost to buy circa £6k.

[Edited on 6/2/13 by p2ccolo]

puma931

posted on 6/2/13 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Best to check the condition of the engine, as age is not relevant.
How often has the owner serviced the engine and do they have receipts (for the parts) to back it up?

Check it if smokes on start up, on boost etc. and if possible to a compression check.

TimC

posted on 6/2/13 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
I think the 4age is a great motor in our type of cars. Looks great, loads of character - a real gem.

Have no direct experience of an S/C version but I've heard plenty of good stuff.

It's a Toyota from when Toyota were at their absolute peak in terms of manufacturing (relative to their peers at the time) too.

[Edited on 6/2/13 by TimC]

r1_pete

posted on 6/2/13 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you're that worried, price up a known good engine, and deduct that and a bit more for labour, from the asking price, and there's your offer price. Its not the time of year when the phone will be red hot with offers.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
p2ccolo

posted on 6/2/13 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ok great, my biggest concern is that if the engine was to die, due to the age how easy would it be to source the same engine/direct replacement or replacement parts? and refitting to the current setup/supercharger and at what sort of cost would I be looking at? Unfortunately I'm not mechanical at all, so have to ask :-)

Thanks!

[Edited on 6/2/13 by p2ccolo]

Worzey

posted on 6/2/13 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Parts for the 4age engine (cold be a 4agze if factory s/c) are easy to find. Fensport, RAW Engineering and ebay are your friend. Never had any issues with mine, some of the parts are stock items at the local Toyota dealer. That said, the stock engine is pretty bullet proof. Mines run some tricked cams and ITB's and never had an issue.

What car is it in? What S/C conversion does it have?

Mine is heading off in 2 weeks for the RAW Rotrex conversion

Caterham R400

p2ccolo

posted on 6/2/13 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the responses, It's in a Stuart Taylor. Going to out down a deposit tonight then I think.
loggyboy

posted on 6/2/13 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hpi check will likely reveal age of donor, not the engine. Whilst the donor could have been source of the engine, its more likely the donor was a sierra (assuming it has a type 9 and a ford diff).

Mistral Motorsport

Dunbikin

posted on 6/2/13 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I used to be involved with The Red Dragon MR2 racing. The engines are brilliant, free revving and pretty much bullet proof. Most of the drivers would tell you the engines are at their best after 120000 miles, so wouldn't worry at all about the age. They are also dirt cheap on ebay if you ever need a replacement.

Ron said it would cost 250 quid. My wife thinks it did.

perksy

posted on 6/2/13 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
4age is a cracking engine

Check to see if it has a modified sump though as i seem to remember the sumps being pretty deep as standard and you might have ground clearence issues ?

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2751
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 6/2/13 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Is it one from Eastbourne as a friend has a nice blue Stuart Taylor with a supercharged 4age in it .
Daddylonglegs

posted on 6/2/13 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
If the engine is a good runner don't be put off by the age. My Locost is running a 1980 Cortina 2L Pinto and runs/pulls fine

Not exactly a pocket rocket but fine as a first go for me. I will eventually get around to rebuilding my Balcktop 2L.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

p2ccolo

posted on 6/2/13 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Craig, yes I think it's probably the same car.
bi22le

posted on 6/2/13 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
1988 may be the car but they did offer the MR2 MK1 SC in '88.

The difference between the normal 4age and the SC is only the pistons. They are lower comp (8:1) and are forged with ceramic coating. The super charger is a SC12 version and you should be expecting around 140bhp if stock. There are a few minor differencies but only slight (no TVIS).

If it has a rotrex or Eaton then it could have anything inside!

I would say that you should do the normal engine checks and if all is good then happy times.

I have a 4age 20V blacktop in my car and love it.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

phelpsa

posted on 6/2/13 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
4age in my Mk1 MR2 has done 120k and is sweet as a nut. They take a lot of abuse!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 7/2/13 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Before RAW bought the rights to the Striker from Sylva they were an agent for Stuart Taylor I believe.

It's pretty likely that this car would have originally had something to do with Mel Coppock's enterprise.

loggyboy

posted on 7/2/13 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Before RAW bought the rights to the Striker from Sylva they were an agent for Stuart Taylor I believe.

It's pretty likely that this car would have originally had something to do with Mel Coppock's enterprise.

Mels been retired for a year or so now, and the new owners of Raw seem to be concentrating on Zetecs. I would assume alot of the knowledge base is still there though.

Mistral Motorsport

blakep82

posted on 7/2/13 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldnt the year of manufacture on the hpi check come back as 2002, from when it was registered?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

p2ccolo

posted on 7/2/13 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hey guys thanks for all the responses. The car in question is the one listed here: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/stuart-taylor/stuart-taylor-kit-2002/1055315

I dont mind posting the link now sinse I have already arranged a small deposit and arranged with the owner to hold the car and am meeting with this weekend to finalise the deal.

The listing states the car is 190hp with the supercharger, does that seem about right? There's some pictures of the engine etc on the listing so I am sure some of you well informed guys will no better than I would at what your looking it, I am by no means knowledgable. I just want the fun of driving :-)

RE: The HPI, it shows two dates, date of first registration: 2002 (I assume this was the build year) and just after the engine number is says year of manufacture 1988..

I'm pretty much set to buy this, but if anyone thinks theres anything off or something I should be aware based on the listing I would love to know, sinse as I say I am not mechanically minded in anyway. I can top up the fluids and thats about it :-(

Cheers!

[Edited on 7/2/13 by p2ccolo]

TimC

posted on 7/2/13 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Find out why it's running crazy ride height - bottom wishbone should be roughly parallel to the ground.

[Edited on 7/2/13 by TimC]

loggyboy

posted on 7/2/13 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Find out why it's running crazy ride height - bottom wishbone should be roughly parallel to the ground.

[Edited on 7/2/13 by TimC]

Maybe the fact its on 20 degree slope...?

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 7/2/13 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
Shouldnt the year of manufacture on the hpi check come back as 2002, from when it was registered?

IIRC, you get 2 dates, date registered and date constructed, registered date is the donor car. HOWEVER, the usual DVLA randomness can lead to various dates in various headings.

Mistral Motorsport

p2ccolo

posted on 8/2/13 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
Does ride height look wrong? Apparently it was all setup by raw engineering? Can this not be adjusted easily anyway?
R1_striker

posted on 8/2/13 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
just a keep couple of point thats dont seam to add up on this car.
A 4age N/A engine is only 135bhp so how can one that is low compression to take a supercharger be 140!! also a standard 4agze is only 160!! so doing well to be pushing 190!
Does it nt seam odd to you that the engine can run to very different power bands on just one ecu? and from the looks of it that doesnt look like an omex ecu, which raw only use.

Dont take in what he says about the supercharger kit on thier web site either, that seams only a kit for the 20v,

Some thing about this car doesnt add up

small tax, small insurance, huge laughs

p2ccolo

posted on 9/2/13 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Ok. Can anyone shed any light in the above comment? Does the claimed bhp seem wrong? Since I've no idea about mechanics at all could someone clarify about r1_strikers comment about "the engine running to two different power bands in just one ecu?"

The guy recons he has all the paperwork etc from raw engineering for all the work done which states 195hp. Though has never himself had it dyno'd.

[Edited on 9/2/13 by p2ccolo]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.